Make ammo crates loadout change points

• I thought it would be convenient to be able to change classes/equipment without having to F10 or suicide charge the enemy team. This would, of course, need some limitations, so why not utilize the ammo crates for this very purpose? It would be simple to put a cooldown on it just like the ammo refill to avoid abuse.

Or even leave the ammo crates as they are and implement something different, like a small armory, or a shed with equipment scattered about (like in the arena spawn area).

What do you guys think?

• inb4 MAA spam… throw firepots then switch to your class.

• @NoVaLombardia:

inb4 MAA spam… throw firepots then switch to your class.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :o

• You can actually change loadouts in protected spawns in TO without dying. If it is somewhere the enemy cannot get that you spawn, you can do it.

• Andrew, I’ve been playing for 6 months and didn’t realize that, haha. It never even crossed my mind to try. Derp. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Nova, the solution for something like that would be a simple cooldown.

The current system for changing your loadout seems fair enough. This idea came to me during an FFA match when I couldn’t make up my mind on which class to play to counter the other players, so it’s more of a convenience thing, heh.

I appreciate the input ;)

• @lejosh:

Andrew, I’ve been playing for 6 months and didn’t realize that, haha. It never even crossed my mind to try. Derp. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Nova, the solution for something like that would be a simple cooldown.

The current system for changing your loadout seems fair enough. This idea came to me during an FFA match when I couldn’t make up my mind on which class to play to counter the other players, so it’s more of a convenience thing, heh.

I appreciate the input ;)

To be fair, we did a poor job indicating it was an option.

• Like it. Certainly as far as changing loadout goes, less sure about changing class. I mean… is there a guy in the box? Old guy gets in for a nap, new one pops out? But certainly go to the box if you need a shield, or a mace or whatever. I’d be less excited about chasing an archer into an ammo point only for him to turn into a knight.

• @Andrew:

You can actually change loadouts in protected spawns in TO without dying. If it is somewhere the enemy cannot get that you spawn, you can do it.

you can… but there’s a VERY short timeframe to do this in, otherwise you have to wait until you spawn again for the switch to take place. You can’t just switch class if you’re standing there for like 10 seconds… if you JUST spawn and then realize you want to switch, yeah most of the time it’ll work, but theres a very quick time limit on this.

Also, to this idea… if you can change class at an ammo crate… what if you’re damaged, do you automatically refill health when you change class? that’s probably what would happen, i could see this beiing an easy way to regain health.

• There isn’t a time limit. There is a volume that encompasses the spawns. If you are within that volume, you are free to change load out. If that is not the case, it is not functioning as intended. Nothing in the Load out volume code has changed as far I know, since release.

• @Andrew:

There isn’t a time limit. There is a volume that encompasses the spawns. If you are within that volume, you are free to change load out. If that is not the case, it is not functioning as intended. Nothing in the Load out volume code has changed as far I know, since release.

i’m pretty sure there’s just a timeout or something. Like say you spawn in… if you wait like 10-15 seconds, then try to switch class, i’m pretty sure it will wait till the next time you spawn. But say you just spawn, immediately go into the menu and switch, then it seems to work. I’ll try and test it out next time i’m on, perhaps in the morning. Or one of these fine lads can try it out ^^

• @McLumberjack:

Like it. Certainly as far as changing loadout goes, less sure about changing class. I mean… is there a guy in the box? Old guy gets in for a nap, new one pops out? But certainly go to the box if you need a shield, or a mace or whatever. I’d be less excited about chasing an archer into an ammo point only for him to turn into a knight.

Good point. There could be a short penalty for changing out equipment which makes you vulnerable for the first 5 seconds after changing. This would discourage fleeting archers from thinking they can escape and morph into a knight. I’m looking at this like a remote armory, so instead of a man using it for a hobo house, all equipment is simply accessible to you. That did make me laugh though :)

• @Andrew:

To be fair, we did a poor job indicating it was an option.

A minor inconvenience. Just wanted to add that I do enjoy the level design :)