What age is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare set in?

• Is the game set in the medieval age or before? :D

• The Cretacious

• I think you mean the Crustaceous era

• It’s set all over the medieval age. There are stuff from every century there!

But I am sure there’s a set year or something around.

• Well, that’s a tough question. We have weapons like the Zweihander, predominantly used in the Renaissance era (16th century) and then we have the Oakeshott type swords, like the broadsword, dating back to a much earlier time. And then we have the Norse (Ulfbehrt) sword, dating to 800-1000 AD. Also, the Agathian knights, wearing plate, look at home in about the 15th century, while the Mason knights look more like 1000AD Saxon warriors.

So, it’s pretty hard to tell.

• Short answer: It’s not really based on any time period. It’s more of an alternate universe.

• In the german LARP scene there is actually a word for this age: Fäntelalter. Fäntal beeing derived from the fantasy gengre (the ä mocking the way a is pronounced in english as opposed to the way a is pronounced in germany) and Alter meaning age.
    The Fäntelalter is typical garmet in the Fäntelalter is every armour from every region and and period ever prefarably combined with weapons from a different period and reagion. Though it’s also characterized by beeing overrun by about ten million bazillion different fantasy races, everyone carrying two swords and no one ever wearing helmets. So chivalry is not all that accurate in that respect.

Seriously though: The classes meander about early and high medieval, I’d say. Vanguard basicly look like 13th or late 12th century knights. I think Agatha knights wear a coat of plates (late 13 early 14 century……ish?) with a late houndskull bascinet (15th or even early 16th century). Mason wears a weird coat of plates or some form of brigantine as well. I don’t really know where to put him though. Perhaps also 13th century, with a slavic or russian flavour? Not really sure about that one. I can’t really file the Mason archer either. The mason MaA looks like an early medieval footman due to the tunic and the spangenhelm (9th-centuryish I would think). The Agatha MaA in the other hand looks like a high medieval/gothic footman (14th cent. I would say), with his open bascinet (or is it a sallet variant?) and his boots. The Agatha archer (my favourite character design in the game) is defiently 14th century with a 14th centuy kettle hat and an aketon or gambeson.
    The weapons are a wild mishmash as well. The Zweihänder for example is a 16th century weapon (Carried by someone looking like a 13th century kight no less. But chivalry aren’t the first to do that.), while the norse sword is more of a 9th century kinda guy.
    (Please correct me if I got something wrong. My armour knowledge is a bit rusty.)

But since I think nothing really clashes with another (excep perhaps the helmet of the agathian knight) I really like the aesthetics as they are presented. And a great weapon variety is always nice. It’s better to use a 15th/16th century pole axe to fight a 9th century guy using a 14th century axe than to have 10 different flavours of billhook. Not that there’s anything wrong with billhooks. Billhooks are amazing.

• Global Moderator

Mostly 13th centuryish.

• If a vanguard could equip a broadsword and kite shield he would look acurate as a knight from the third crusade (late 1100’s)

The dane axe, norse sword and bearded axe are germanic/nordic weapons from the dark age period between the sacking of rome and the norman conquest of england.

The vanguard and knight primary swords are all late medieval-early renaissance. Same as the agatha knight armor. And the heavy crossbow.

It’s a total mix-and match of gear from approx 800AD-1500. Exept of course the cudgel, which is more prehistoric.

• In age of chivalry ;)

• Global Moderator

@Ready:

If a vanguard could equip a broadsword and kite shield he would look acurate as a knight from the third crusade (late 1100’s)

The dane axe, norse sword and bearded axe are germanic/nordic weapons from the dark age period between the sacking of rome and the norman conquest of england.

The vanguard and knight primary swords are all late medieval-early renaissance. Same as the agatha knight armor. And the heavy crossbow.

It’s a total mix-and match of gear from approx 800AD-1500. Exept of course the cudgel, which is more prehistoric.

Have you not heard of cudgel throwers?

• @lemonater47:

@Ready:

If a vanguard could equip a broadsword and kite shield he would look acurate as a knight from the third crusade (late 1100’s)

Have you not heard of cudgel throwers?

Ummm……no…?

• Set in the age of fantasy, of course.

• @CorvusFerreum:

In the german LARP scene there is actually a word for this age: Fäntelalter. Fäntal beeing derived from the fantasy gengre (the ä mocking the way a is pronounced in english as opposed to the way a is pronounced in germany) and Alter meaning age.
    The Fäntelalter is typical garmet in the Fäntelalter is every armour from every region and and period ever prefarably combined with weapons from a different period and reagion. Though it’s also characterized by beeing overrun by about ten million bazillion different fantasy races, everyone carrying two swords and no one ever wearing helmets. So chivalry is not all that accurate in that respect.

I would not have expected the German larp debates to haunt me this far, even to the discussion forums of a small indie game. But I guess there is no place to be save.

Basically, Chivalry is medieval inspired fantasy. As others said, the influences of the armor- and weapon styles range from approx 800 - 1550 and geographically from western Europe to Russia and the Byzantine Empire. The different classes form a wild mix when compared to each other, but each class on their own looks plausible enough, in my opinion.

We have knight armor ranging from the 12th to 13th to 14th century, Viking raiders and Varangian guards.

Then we have renaissance weapons like the Zweihänder (which is actually a Flamberge) or setpieces like the cannon-loaded Man´O´War battleships on Hillside.

All the weapons, classes and objects in the game are mostly believable in a historical context, just not when compared to one another in the same time period.
    And thats where the fantasy aspect comes in, by mixing those elements together. This - and by creating the fictional setting of the land “Agatha”.

• it’s Sword-punk, anachronistically using metal equipments from up to 16th century, but without any other technological advances of that time, adding that to an overall high to early late Medieval setting.

basically what happened after a space/time-rift teleported some hundreds or thousands of people and equipment from the High Middle Ages, along with a bunch of equipment form the late Middle Ages and Renaissance to another earth-like planet, and they picked what they knew how to use and discarded what they didn’t know or didn’t find a use for.

this, of course, also explains the absence of cavalry. hell, it may even explain all the warping about the place…

• Technological its set in a very late Medieval age just before Gunpowder weapons came up (think of the time of the Hundred Years war) in a horseless world. Some of the weapons might be younger in the real world (Zweihänder etc.) and some might be close to outdated (like the Norse Sword - but Chivalrys Norse Sword functions more like a Spada da lato - a mix between Broadsword and Rapier) but they all were possible at this technological level.

• @Don_Kanaille:

I would not have expected the German larp debates to haunt me this far, even to the discussion forums of a small indie game. But I guess there is no place to be save.

Basically, Chivalry is medieval inspired fantasy. As others said, the influences of the armor- and weapon styles range from approx 800 - 1550 and geographically from western Europe to Russia and the Byzantine Empire. The different classes form a wild mix when compared to each other, but each class on their own looks plausible enough, in my opinion.

We have knight armor ranging from the 12th to 13th to 14th century, Viking raiders and Varangian guards.

Then we have renaissance weapons like the Zweihänder (which is actually a Flamberge) or setpieces like the cannon-loaded Man´O´War battleships on Hillside.

All the weapons, classes and objects in the game are mostly believable in a historical context, just not when compared to one another in the same time period.
    And thats where the fantasy aspect comes in, by mixing those elements together. This - and by creating the fictional setting of the land “Agatha”.

I think horses do exist. Reason why we don’t see them is that all the battlefield we have currently in game are sieges, thick forests or in mountainous terrain unsuitable for cavalry so everyone has to fight on foot. Pitched battles were actually very rare in medieval times and usually warfare was conducted through sieges. If we are ever going to see mounted combat then we are going to need new maps that would be much larger and more open

• Castles became useless after cannons became common place. But they have those boats that shoot cannons in one of the original maps, so its right before they made huge castle downing cannons :moon:

• It actually canonically takes place in 1269 exactly.

We know that because there’s a quote three years earlier that’s dated 1266.

Edit: I need to get over my crush on adverbs.

• You should read their page on “style” https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Guide%3A+Style

For instance: “Assets should roughly match the time period between 0-1500”

And “It is important to note that Chivalry is not a medieval Sim”