Something needs to change with the votekick system

• I’m sure every single player here has encountered the following situation many times before:

You play on some server, probably an FFA one, you’re kicking a little ass because it’s a public server and most players are not too good when all of a sudden some one declares “THIS PERSON IS CHEATING!” and initiates a votekick, the entire server automatically votes ‘yes’ because although they might not be sure whether you’re cheating or not you ARE ranked above them in the leaderboard and kicking you is completely logical, so they all press yes and you’re kicked with 80%+ of the votes.

This usually happens to me at least once a day and I very often see this happening to other players as well, usually if they top the leaderboard for more than one game in a row.

There aren’t many servers I can play on with acceptable ping given my geographical location, getting kicked from a game I was winning on a low-latency server is annoying and unwarranted.

Finding a solution to this is a bit tricky, let’s brainstorm a bit, some ideas:

1. Limit the amount of votekicks a player can initiate per-day/per-hour, that way if a player kicks players for being better than him he might not actually be able to do so when an actual abuser comes along.

2. Require 2-3 players to initiate a votekick before the voting actually begins, do not display any message on the screen until the minimum required amount of people has initiated the votekick to prevent bandwagonning and instinctive ‘yes’ votes.

3. After the match is over/the player quits the game require him to fill in a report on the votekick he initiated, afterall, if we’re talking about legit cheaters in the very least it should be reported to the game/server admins rather than resolved with a temporary kick; If a player is found to initiate too many frivolous votekicks his privilege of initiating votekicks may be removed.

• I agree.

I like the idea of requiring several votes to broadcast the kick. This means multiple people are getting the same idea and will result in a vote for a more genuine reason, rather than everyone thoughtlessly tapping the insert button.

The main driving factor behind vote kick abuse is the lack of accountability. You really don’t have to think about it or worry that something will happen to you if you vote kick just because you are having a bad day. Yes, I know your name is tagged to it, but as long as you can make it look like there’s even a vague reason, people will fall in line and not even question it. Hence the trolls who antagonize you into attacking them just so they can vote kick. Perhaps when you initiate a vote kick, a dialogue pops up requiring a reason, then this is recorded to your player profile. It will hold you accountable and force you to think “okay is it really worth it?”

I joined a public FFA server last week. There were 5 maa’s just standing around in a circle playing with the voice overs. They spotted me, formed a cirlce around me, then all just started laughing. This persisted until one of them vote kicked me. I was removed from the server with an 88% yes. Strange. Anyway just one of many of my vote kick abuse stories.

• Not my experience at all (unless perhaps its free weekend or something like that). Such “He is a cheater” votes almost always gets voted down in my experience, and votespammers very often end up being on the recieving end of their own votekick as well.

As such I feel there is no need for such complicated maneuvers.

• i was in a server the other day, 2 of my friends were votekicked for no apparent reason. Some folks were also votekicked with 0 team damage and 0 idle time… and immediately after the votekick already 75 or more percent had voted yes… so stupid. There’s nothing that can be done really… what can you do?

And you can’t really require more people to votekick, if you did that then people that SHOULD get votekicked would be much harder to get rid of.

Some people just votekick as soon as they get killed by someone, and the masses just spam yes. I wish after voting the damn thing goes away though, it gets annoying while playing to see the left side of your screen constantly being spammed by votekick messages. I want to tell people to fuck off sometimes. I have requirements for that shit on my server

• It always seems to be American servers where yes is voted more than no.

My conclusion.

Americans are dicks.

• @lemonater47:

It always seems to be American servers where yes is voted more than no.

My conclusion.

Americans are dicks.

i have no argument.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@lemonater47:

My conclusion.

Americans are dicks.

i have no argument.

As an American, I also have no argument.

• In works fine on Australian servers, but my god is it obtrusive. Make it normal coloured font with no backdrop. Sick of getting distracted every few minutes by some big fuck off neon sign glaring in my periphery.

• @Strudel:

In works fine on Australian servers, but my god is it obtrusive. Make it normal coloured font with no backdrop. Sick of getting distracted every few minutes by some big fuck off neon sign glaring in my periphery.

Video settings - resolution - 1920x1080.

Problem solved.

• @lemonater47:

@Strudel:

In works fine on Australian servers, but my god is it obtrusive. Make it normal coloured font with no backdrop. Sick of getting distracted every few minutes by some big fuck off neon sign glaring in my periphery.

Problem solved.

mine’s 1920x1080 i run everything on full high for the most part, still annoying.

• Make it possible to include a reason to the vote. Like /votekick x [reason], so everyone can see why someone is actually getting kicked

• has been suggested so many times, we all agree lol

• Problem is what’s to stop a troll from putting a BS reason?

While Americans might all automatically vote yes people from other places in the world vote no if no reason is given. If a reason is given they are more likely to vote yes. So some arsewipe can pick a reason and votekick some random.

I mean think about it. How is a “reason” gonna stop people from being kicked? Explain that to me. It’ll only make it worse.

• I support the idea of requiring 2 or 3 \votekick commands from different people to initiate a votekick.

• @lemonater47:

My conclusion.

Americans are dicks.

You are on the other side of the world. You have 300 ping no matter what. We. Will. Kick you.

• @adamcel6:

@lemonater47:

My conclusion.

Americans are dicks.

You are on the other side of the world. You have 300 ping no matter what. We. Will. Kick you.

180-220 Ping and about a quarter round the world.

And this is based on the people bitching. This doesn’t happen down here. And I haven’t heard anyone from Europe tell the stories that you Americans tell.

Don’t vote yes.

Problemo solved.

• @lemonater47:

@adamcel6:

And this is based on the people bitching. This doesn’t happen down here. And I haven’t heard anyone from Europe tell the stories that you Americans tell.

Don’t vote yes.

Problemo solved.

If we are dicks, then don’t play with us.

Problemo solved.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@lemonater47:

@Strudel:

Problem solved.

mine’s 1920x1080 i run everything on full high for the most part, still annoying.

Well they were gonna make it an option where after you have vote it goes away. Personally I want it to be optional whether it goes away or not. As people such as myself want to see the result. And I’m an admin so I need to see results.

• Solutions:

Remove the vote kick option from the scoreboard. Console should be used for kicks

Remove the votekick window when you’ve voted, unless the votekick is one you started or one started on you.

• @adamcel6:

@lemonater47:

@adamcel6:

Don’t vote yes.

Problemo solved.

If we are dicks, then don’t play with us.

Problemo solved.

I don’t play with you guys you aren’t getting the point. The problem is in America. And people want votekick to be changed. But in the rest of the world where we are more or less nice to each other it doesn’t need to be changed.

You Americans need to change your behaviour. Votekick is fine. Its the dicks who vote yes who are the problem.

Make votekick a console command only YES that’s a good idea.

Make it dissapear that won’t help. As people would want to get rid of it. Meaning more people would vote yes without thinking. And they don’t see the result so they for know if they got kicked or not.