My experience and observations on Maa Weapons / Gear

• I suppose this applies to all classes since the only 3 unique things about the Maa is the Q staff, oil pot and heater shield. I’ve played about 300 hours of chivalry so far, am rank 33 and use Maa as my main class. The following is a collection what I’ve experienced while playing TDM, TO, Dueling, LTS and little FFA.

To get things out of the way, the buckler is horrible and neigh unusable other than as a projectile blocker or fancy under hand stabs. The heater like all shields isn’t very good but if your dead set on using a shield might as well take the reduced stam drain and larger size as well as cool design. Another note is the heater provides good vision during block while the buckler gives you buckler vision for its small size.

For misc you have the oil pot and throwing knives, both are solid but obviously in team situations as well as low health enemies the oil pot wins hands down. Its utility is almost unmatched and is why Maa are even played as a class in TO. However throwing knives are top tier fun, they are great at finishing runners in duels and weakening enemies while you run up to them, it also will flinch archers and enemies attacking you or allies. Additionally the flying arch on throwing knifes is quite good… for a throwing weapon. They put throwing axes to shame (they’re thrown at spear lunge range even at 45 degree angles) however the damage is kind of low and does slashing.

Now the meat and potatoes of the post, the Main (or borrowed form other classes) weapons of the Maa.

The broad sword is hands down the best and most useful weapons in almost all situations, for team games its probably the only weapon you’d consider bringing save the quarter staff. The broad sword very quick with a .4 over head and .45 swing and ghost stabbing with great reach and good damage 2 shotting Maas and archers, the piercing thrust and over head combos make quick work of knights and vangaurds also The quarter staff is the second best weapon you can bring for a team battle and other situations as a niche item, while its a 2 hander literally just consider it a 1 hander as it uses 1 hander calculations for parrying but since shields aren’t very useful its nothing to worry about. The stab comes out at .4 with decent drag for a stab and the over head combos well after the jab both with very good reach (its supposedly 43 range even though its bugged in game and says 0 range, in personal testing it out ranges the broad sword stab and hits just to the upper right of the UI aim dot). The slash is very short however and only useful for running around blocks or strafing enemies, however at close range the hit box is gigantic. The downside of this weapon of course is its very low damage 4 shotting Maas unless you get head shots bringing it down to 3 and about 5 hitting knights, at least its blunt damage.

Now to the worse but still usable weapons. The Morning star is slow on windup and recovery but has good reach good powering, as long as you land an over head you can 2 shot maas and 2 shot archers regularly. Over heading knights can net you as little as 3 hits making it a niche counter over the broad sword for its pierce blunt damage, however its reduced range, speed and need to use less likely to hit attacks holds it back. The dane axe is another useable weapon but with problems. The pros it has is a .35 lighting fast stab with good reach even if the damage is low and powerful 75 slash blunt over heads. However the slash is just as slow as the over head at .45 but does much lower damage of 60 vs 75 on the over head making this weapon a stab or over head weapon. Besides its damage type of slash blunt and blunt stab its reach is even worse than the morning star and limited attack uses hurt it (the alt slash change buried its super weapon status). A weapon that just makes the useable cut is the norse sword since while its almost inferior to the broad sword in every way its recovery is at .5 instead of .55 and windups on swing and over head are .35 giving it the speed edge despite doing less damage and having less reach. The stab is also a .45 with less reach than the broad sword. 2 over heads are needed to 2 shot a Maa making this weapon an over header like the dane axe but with speed as priority.

The low tier hero weapons / specialized weapons start here

The Mediocre weapons are a small category between useable and terribad tier. The flachion, fanged mace and HWS are in this category. The falchion has 1 viable attack option which is lmb but at least its powerful slash blunt damage at the cost of pretty limited reach, the stab does 40 peircing but is slow and generally not worth it other than a mix up while the over head doesn’t seam worth the trouble as its slower than a slash for only 10 more damageas well as longer recovery and less chance to hit. The fanged mace is like a specialized falchion but with less reach being designed to fight knights. Like the falchion the fanged mace 2 shots Maas and archers but the fanged mace can 3 hit knights with an overhead. The only other advance the fanged mace has over the falchion is its quick stab. The holy water spinkler is similar to the quater staff as a niche weapon with its very quick stab with decent ranging being its niche benefit. The over head isn’t great as its slower than the slash but the slash and stab come out at .35 and stabs for 45 pierce blunt damage which is pretty fierce. Overall the damage isn’t impressive on it but its a stab poking weapon with fairly short range compared to the other weapons.

The worst weapons in the Maa arsenal are the hatchet and war axe. The hatch is quite fast and does good damage but really feels like a slash blunt dagger despite its quick like over head, its range feels worse than the broad dagger however it has slower slashes with a joke for a stab. Sadly the war axe is just a pathetic weapon as its really just a poor man’s falchion but with a faster stab. While doing slightly more slash blunt damage than the falchion its not noticeable, the stab even does 10 less damage at 30 piercing damage despite having a spike on the end of it. It has considerably less range than the falchion and slightly altered release times. At least the war axe looks cool, it still has that going for it(though I’d rather use a saber over the War Axe).

My weapon viability list for Maa is roughly this -
    Broadsword> Quater Staff > Morning Star> Dane axe / Norse > Fanged Mace/ Falchion > Holy water sprinkler > Hatchet > War Axe

Secondary weapons get their own category as they are shared with the archer and often serve no point for the Maa other than to troll unless specific circumstances apply such as using them to wield a shield with a quarter staff or land a quick finishing blow on an almost dead enemy. The daggers are all much better than the previous patch however the broad dagger is definitely the worst of the 3 daggers having similar stats to the thrusting dagger but a slower over head with a slightly more damaging slash. The thrusting dagger is basically the broad dagger but with faster more damaging overhead. The hunting knife is actually quite a viable spam weapon for face hugging with its legendary .25 release time and .3 wind up making it lightning fast compared to all other weapons, the range difference form other daggers is slight but noticeable. Finally as far as secondary Auxiliary weapons go the saber with its new buff is the best of the 3 with its superior range and ability to 2 shot archers with over heads. However the short sword is is quick with a powerful stab (basically a slower but more damaging thrusting dagger) and the cudel is good for knights with its 50 damage .4 overhead attack. The usefulness of these weapons in a serious debate would be for archers to decide but generally daggers are dueling weapons and the auxiliary are team battle last resort weapons.

Thus my final thoughts and suggestions would be this.

• Slightly nerf the broad sword (every Maa and dueling knight uses this weapon, i’d suggest its speed and ghosting stab)
    • buff the hatchet and war axe surely ( war axe needs a better stab to be the powerful but slower less range version of the HWS, the hatchet needs to feel more like a primary than like a heavy dagger)
    • Reduce shield stamina drain
      -Increase throwing knife ammunition and increasing the throwing distance
    • Buff the buckler like crazy vision wise and offensive utility
    • Tweak the useful, mediocre weapons and quater staff numbers very slightly ( adjusting numbers by 5 perhaps, make stab pierce blunt on q staff perhaps from spike)
      -Change the designs on the ugly bucklers and make the heater shields look better on your back.
      -Change the grunting sound on the Maa dodge as well as fix dodging through the world and losing tons of stamina

• Again, I have to agree with the Vanu on most points. Broadsword really is a bit to strong in some points. But by nerfing it maa will become even worse in TO, so it a difficult situation.
    Quater Staff is almost op in my eyes, esp. in duel. But it’s small reach makes up for its speed, so I’m fine with it.

Broadsword> Quater Staff > Morning Star> Dane axe / Norse > Fanged Mace/ Falchion > Holy water sprinkler > Hatchet > War Axe

I would switch Morning Star with Norse any time. Morning star is to slow.

• Morning star is to slow.

It’s still a 1 hander so it’s fast and I think you guys are underestimating the morning star. It’s a great against heavy vanguard teams because a double OH will 2 shot a vangurd to the torso and if you want a faster weapon that does this try a shorter but faster war axe.

Norse sword, as a MaA it isn’t really useful compared to the broadsword, however, currently, as a knight the norse sword is my favorite anti-MaA weapon because it’s OH and slash are so fast for it’s length. I feel like sucking against knights is a good proce to pay for tht because knights are what I have my maul for.

Dane axe, personally, outclasses the broadsword in overall usefulness simply due to it not being too slow but 2 shotting vanguards with one head hit and consistantly 3 shotting knights as well as being very long and having a quick, long interrupter stab.

• @VanuTycon:

• Slightly nerf the broad sword (every Maa and dueling knight uses this weapon, i’d suggest its speed and ghosting stab)

I agree with the Broadsword being the go-to weapon in most situations. Its similar to the pre-patch Longsword. It doesn’t really feel overpowered but the Longsword didn’t either and the nerfs seem to be the right choice. So maybe a slight nerf (I suggest windup time) would benefit the other weapons. For dueling the Norse Sword feels stronger as it has shorter windup times while its stab does comparable damage making it very powerful for riposting and flinching. And feinting if you are good at it.
    @VanuTycon:

• buff the hatchet and war axe surely ( war axe needs a better stab to be the powerful but slower less range version of the HWS, the hatchet needs to feel more like a primary than like a heavy dagger)

You underestimate the power of the War Axe. Its a stronger Falchion with less reach and a weaker stab. Its damage output is very high - probably the highest of all onehanded weapons. Also the Falchions overhead is much better than its slash attack (deals slash damage now!) The Hatchet suffers from the oversized bubble because its so short. When Torn banner reduces the bubble to a reasonable size the Hatchet will not need any buff.
    **@VanuTycon:

• Reduce shield stamina drain

This change is needed so urgently.**
    @VanuTycon:

• Buff the buckler like crazy vision wise and offensive utility

A change that is needed since release.

• what maa weapon is best to practise the whole dragging stuff? most weapons seem to come off to fast to really make it work. dane axt slash does feel somewhat useful, bot obviously not comparable to what 2h weapons can do.

• @Jstorm:

Morning star is to slow.

It’s still a 1 hander so it’s fast and I think you guys are underestimating the morning star. It’s a great against heavy vanguard teams because a double OH will 2 shot a vangurd to the torso and if you want a faster weapon that does this try a shorter but faster war axe.

Norse sword, as a MaA it isn’t really useful compared to the broadsword, however, currently, as a knight the norse sword is my favorite anti-MaA weapon because it’s OH and slash are so fast for it’s length. I feel like sucking against knights is a good proce to pay for tht because knights are what I have my maul for.

Dane axe, personally, outclasses the broadsword in overall usefulness simply due to it not being too slow but 2 shotting vanguards with one head hit and consistantly 3 shotting knights as well as being very long and having a quick, long interrupter stab.

The dane axe has quite a drag with its overhead, so it can be used deceivingly.

Also, quarterstaff outclasses the morningstar in ALMOST every way. It is longer, faster, and chances are you will be 3-shotting with the morning star anyway if you are initiating with pokes. Quarterstaff is also a 3-shot on every class, except knight which is 4 (but you can 3-shot them with QS overheads to the head)

Also about the morning star speed, the overhead is the same windup speed as some two handers (0.5). Technically it is supposed to have more range than the broadsword though.

OP severely underrates HWS usefulness all around.

I’ll definitely agree that the broadsword is the most all around usefulness. But to be honest – the main reason why everyone plays broadsword now is because MAAs got a total shaft with their changes. The other weapons (mostly the shorter ones) just simply lost what little viability they had when MAA could use dodge-attack.

For the most part, the MAA changes basically encourage only one single style of play now.

• * make the Heater Shield not look laughably ridiculous from first person view. (someone on TB seems to have let their 5 year old put that in the game, which would be cute if it were true)

• @NoVaLombardia:

Also, quarterstaff outclasses the morningstar in ALMOST every way. It is longer, faster, and chances are you will be 3-shotting with the morning star anyway if you are initiating with pokes. Quarterstaff is also a 3-shot on every class, except knight which is 4 (but you can 3-shot them with QS overheads to the head)

All you are saying is that the Morning Star is weaker than the Quarterstaff if you use it like you would use a Quarterstaff. Other than this the Morning Star deal a lot more damage than the Quarterstaff.

@NoVaLombardia:

Technically it is supposed to have more range than the broadsword though.

It should be shorter (at least the game says so). Additionally the stab is much less powerful decreasing the effective reach even more. It makes up for it by having a better damage type against heavier targets.

Overall the Morning Star seems to be a brute’s onehanded “smash weapon” that also has some good reach compared to similar choices (Flanged Mace, Warhammer). Using it in a more “elegant” way might not create the most success.

• Animations… Is what makes quarter staff worse imo, for the defender it is kind of easy to read, while with maces/swords you can do overhands and alternate overhands that are quite tricky to read and require special blocking.

Tho… with mma mobility you will be circle stepping your opponents anyways so just my grain of salt.

But yeah, broadsword has always been the best 1 handed weapon, maybe its intentional as it seems like in the description and “lore” of the game that it is the go-to weapond…

• @Linniz:

Animations… Is what makes quarter staff worse imo, for the defender it is kind of easy to read, while with maces/swords you can do overhands and alternate overhands that are quite tricky to read and require special blocking.

Tho… with mma mobility you will be circle stepping your opponents anyways so just my grain of salt.

But yeah, broadsword has always been the best 1 handed weapon, maybe its intentional as it seems like in the description and “lore” of the game that it is the go-to weapond…

I personally find it hard to read. I’m really bad against someone with a quarterstaff. Then again in really bad at using it. Same goes for daggers. I can’t beat them and I can’t use them.

I suppose I’ve learnt how to play by getting my arse handed to me and then copied what my opponent does. So it means if I can defend myself from a particular weapon well I can use it well too.

• @Evil:

All you are saying is that the Morning Star is weaker than the Quarterstaff if you use it like you would use a Quarterstaff. Other than this the Morning Star deal a lot more damage than the Quarterstaff.

More damage doesn’t necessarily mean better. Also, hence why I said it ALMOST outclasses in every aspect. Not 100%, otherwise morning star would be completely useless.