[POLL] Remove 3rd person from TB/Official servers.

• The suggestion is to restrict the Official[Torn Banner] servers to first person view only.

edit: added poll

• I don’t know why people are still defending 3rd person. The amount of vision you can get compared to 1st person is just ridiculous. How is this not considered as cheating?
    [image:30u6vt2b]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902128274082935264/D377EFB595991654448247400E6ACEDB39A5969D/[/image:30u6vt2b]
    [image:30u6vt2b]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902128274082201936/7742D0D2EE2B18B54C63F63529B47C09817D9583/[/image:30u6vt2b]
    [image:30u6vt2b]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/867217316774320159/597BBD6131CF301B133F43A961B5AA4BF8C8434F/[/image:30u6vt2b]

• @rumpelstiltskin:

I don’t know why people are still defending 3rd person. The amount of vision you can get compared to 1st person is just ridiculous. How is this not considered as cheating?
    [image:72s0cy7u]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902128274082935264/D377EFB595991654448247400E6ACEDB39A5969D/[/image:72s0cy7u]
    [image:72s0cy7u]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/902128274082201936/7742D0D2EE2B18B54C63F63529B47C09817D9583/[/image:72s0cy7u]
    [image:72s0cy7u]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/867217316774320159/597BBD6131CF301B133F43A961B5AA4BF8C8434F/[/image:72s0cy7u]

Woah, how did you get your camera zoomed out like that? :O When I go into third person, I can never see my soldier entirely and far away like that. If you play from the perspective straight behind him, which makes it easiest to block and attack accurately, you will see him from the waist up. The other perspectives you can see your feet if you run.

• Woah, how did you get your camera zoomed out like that? :O When I go into third person, I can never see my soldier entirely and far away like that. If you play from the perspective straight behind him, which makes it easiest to block and attack accurately, you will see him from the waist up. The other perspectives you can see your feet if you run.

Go to configuration > video. Turn field of view up all the way. I tried it for a while, and while it gives you awesome perspective, everything feels awkward. Could just be that I’m accustomed to 1st person.

• @lejosh:

Woah, how did you get your camera zoomed out like that? :O When I go into third person, I can never see my soldier entirely and far away like that. If you play from the perspective straight behind him, which makes it easiest to block and attack accurately, you will see him from the waist up. The other perspectives you can see your feet if you run.

Go to configuration > video. Turn field of view up all the way. I tried it for a while, and while it gives you awesome perspective, everything feels awkward. Could just be that I’m accustomed to 1st person.

Yeah, I don’t like having FOV up high, everything looks and feels wonky.

• If they want to gimp themselves with using third person then let them in my opinion. You don’t need that giant fucking field of view if you play smart and have good situational awareness with first person.

• It can be argued that there are advantage and disadvantages to your choice in perspective. Some say it’s a lot harder to gauge your opponents attacks when in 3rd person.

Point being. You aren’t losing because they’re in 3rd person. You’re losing because they’re better than you. don’t try to condemn someone’s play style because you simply don’t agree with it. I highly doubt anyone plays in 3rd person with max field of view like the above screenshots. And if they do, i would put money on the fact that they are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage for doing so.

In fact, I move to submit that they should ban 1st person altogether. Let everyone play in 3rd person or not at all. What makes your choice more valid than mine?

• @DokB:

If they want to gimp themselves with using third person then let them in my opinion. You don’t need that giant fucking field of view if you play smart and have good situational awareness with first person.

Truth.

• @DokB:

If they want to gimp themselves with using third person then let them in my opinion. You don’t need that giant fucking field of view if you play smart and have good situational awareness with first person.

Excatly!
    Anyway, the game was meant to be played in First person.

• well, you can totally tell when someone is playing in 3rd person, especially with the views in the images above. you can tell because they will run in and out of range and be constantly doing figure 8 motions, typically with a vanguard lol.

The great advantage comes because they know when someone is behind them, they don’t have to turn and look to see anything chasing them and such. They can also see around walls, through walls, etc. i don’t really mind anyone using 3rd person, i feel it’s mostly noobs that do so and it really is a hinderance to play once you get better and learn to use first person. I find this kiting type of playstyle to be pretty ineffective and i punish anyone that uses it.

Oh and rumple, i think it’s high fov also combined with the fact that in console you can go over 120. Remember devbehindview? Well this is the new way to basically achieve the same thing lmao. Oh and uhh… murika.

• @clayton-bigsby:

well, you can totally tell when someone is playing in 3rd person, especially with the views in the images above. you can tell because they will run in and out of range and be constantly doing figure 8 motions, typically with a vanguard lol.

The great advantage comes because they know when someone is behind them, they don’t have to turn and look to see anything chasing them and such. They can also see around walls, through walls, etc. i don’t really mind anyone using 3rd person, i feel it’s mostly noobs that do so and it really is a hinderance to play once you get better and learn to use first person. I find this kiting type of playstyle to be pretty ineffective and i punish anyone that uses it.

Oh and rumple, i think it’s high fov also combined with the fact that in console you can go over 120. Remember devbehindview? Well this is the new way to basically achieve the same thing lmao. Oh and uhh… murika.

It’s great if you want to practice your ducking.

• @DokB:

pff, no point in ducking now with recovery parry, well unless you want to look cool. I still do it time to time. Anytime i see an lmb user only, i duck them… maybe it will teach them to overhand once in a while.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@DokB:

pff, no point in ducking now with recovery parry, well unless you want to look cool. I still do it time to time. Anytime i see an lmb user only, i duck them… maybe it will teach them to overhand once in a while.

If they recovery parry after I ducked them, then they’re asking for a feint.

Anyway, most of those Vanguards who sprint around in circles and try to jew you with the lmb are never ones to parry anyway because they keep on sprinting.

Ducking is still useful, most people are too surprised anyway to recovery parry after they swing through clean air. :P

• @DokB:

Ducking is still useful, most people are too surprised anyway to recovery parry after they swing through clean air. :P

True, but a lot of folks now are just parrying whenever something surprises them… so if you’re going against a vanguard for instance… if you duck their swing you have to wait until it fully passes over you, don’t want to stand up too quickly and bump your head on his blade… so by then he’s in recovery and can parry if need be as long as they see you duck. Happens all the time. Still useful sometimes, but the panic parry really dimishes it’s effectiveness especially if they’re a swing, then parry kinda guy. Spammers yes but if it’s a claymore, by the time you duck it and wait for it to pass, once you get up for the attack the 2nd combo will smack you before you hit them a lot of the time, or trade which you don’t want either, especially if you’re a weaker class like maa or archer. :(

• 3rd person is disabled on most of the games on net servers down here. And. You do notice a difference. You don’t see people suddenly turn around. People don’t lookdown constantly as they run around.

People are just less aware when there’s no 3rd person. You have to rely on footsteps. Though even then you don’t know who’s footsteps it is.

• yeah well going back to OP, why would TB remove a feature THEY implemented from THEIR servers? lol

• @clayton-bigsby:

yeah well going back to OP, why would TB remove a feature THEY implemented from THEIR servers? lol

Exactly.

I’ve heard it said, “the game is meant to be played in 1st person”.

If that were true, why was 3rd person in the game at release. Couldn’t you then argue that the game was meant to be played in 3rd person?

• meh, it’s meant to be played in 1st person, but they made the option of 3rd person and it’s in the game. It created another option to be used for variety i suppose. But at least with that implementation, they could at least make it so that you can’t see through walls/ around walls and such but idk how they’d fix the around the wall issue, maybe by limiting the fov in 3rd person but idk. But clipping vision through walls should at least be dealt with. I also think, like I said an fov limit or at least a shoulder view only should be implemented so people cant see like 10 feet behind them… there’s advantages and disadvantages to using 3rd person, but there’s really more advantages than disadvantages. You can see behind you, see the whole swing in full, see through walls, around walls. THe disadvantage is archer crosshairs are off, and parrys are off but only when people get real close does that become an issue… so theres more advantage than disadvantage to using 3rd person. Most skilled players use first and i still prefer first over 3rd, i stilll think it’s the better option.

• @clayton-bigsby:

meh, it’s meant to be played in 1st person, but they made the option of 3rd person and it’s in the game. It created another option to be used for variety i suppose. But at least with that implementation, they could at least make it so that you can’t see through walls/ around walls and such but idk how they’d fix the around the wall issue, maybe by limiting the fov in 3rd person but idk. But clipping vision through walls should at least be dealt with. I also think, like I said an fov limit or at least a shoulder view only should be implemented so people cant see like 10 feet behind them… there’s advantages and disadvantages to using 3rd person, but there’s really more advantages than disadvantages. You can see behind you, see the whole swing in full, see through walls, around walls. THe disadvantage is archer crosshairs are off, and parrys are off but only when people get real close does that become an issue… so theres more advantage than disadvantage to using 3rd person. Most skilled players use first and i still prefer first over 3rd, i stilll think it’s the better option.

If there is one universal truth in gaming. (and Ive been gaming for a long ass time). It is this:

The best players as a whole will always use whatever they can to give them the biggest advantage. This has always been the case, and will always be the case. Barring cheats of course.

So you can see the flaw in logic when you say, “Most skilled players use first”. One of two things makes the argument against using third person, or banning third person false.

1. Most good players do not prefer first over third. Or
    2. Third person does not give a significant enough advantage to warrant using it, and certainly warrant ever banning it.

Statistics alone should prove this.