TO and why it made Chivalry so fun & replayable

• I think the biggest problem with the expansion is the fact that you guys aren’t going to include any TO. This is what made chivalry so fun to play and sink hours of playtime into. Playing any other gamemode for an extended play time gets old in Chivalry and the same thing will and does occur in DW.

TO maps keep you fighting in different areas and locations as you push through the different stages (all areas of the map are used). TDM, LTS, or any other killed focused map will end up having the same fights in the exact same location (choke points). You spawn up and run to where the fighting is happening, die, rinse and repeat. Having something to strive for besides killing is what makes the experience so much more enjoyable and rewarding when you win.

I understand TO maps take a ton of time to make, because you are basically making multiple maps in a row with tons of kismet scripting. Why not some TO lite maps? Almost all the maps you guys have have shown us so far is almost too big for a <20 player TDM, why not add different objectives and stages on these same maps to focus the action and shift it around? Using all parts of the map just like in TO but less linear.

These are just my opinions on the matter, hopefully it’s useful :P

• Mod

I would love to see some TO used in the existing maps for DW.
    I think currently some of them are TO worthy.

• There are more game modes in the works. TO sadly is unlikely, but we have some other stuff we will be introducing to the alpha tomorrow, and over the weekend most likely.

Keep in mind, this is alpha. All the characters, game modes, and content are not even close to finalized.

• I have to agree with this, even if not a full blown Team Objective, TO Lite with some objectives, or game modes similar to Control Point // Domination // Zone Control, protect the VIP, anything other than just TDM / LTS / FFA.

I know you guys want to do something other than tdm, because if you didn’t these maps wouldn’t be so large.

• You missed me by seconds Gauntlet.

• @Andrew:

but we have some other stuff we will be introducing to the alpha tomorrow

please please please please dont drop a patch at the last minute before testing time; I have a slow connection ;__;

• Alright, sounds good Andrew. Also, Knil, subject line: Chivarly ;P

I can’t wait to see what you guys have in store for game modes.

• Was trying to channel my inner pirate with that typo “CHIVARRRRRRRRRRLY” :P

• @dudeface:

@Andrew:

but we have some other stuff we will be introducing to the alpha tomorrow

please please please please dont drop a patch at the last minute before testing time; I have a slow connection ;__;

No promises. Unfortunately that’s how it works most of the time ;_;

• I was hoping the Tuesdays and Thursdays would be using the same stuffs. Ah well.

• @dudeface:

I was hoping the Tuesdays and Thursdays would be using the same stuffs. Ah well.

They will be. Just adding another mode to the mix Thursday. Same maps though.

• So… less than 1.2GB patch? :-D

• TO is the most interesting mode, of course; but new modes sound interesting. When you love a game you want it to explode with content, it’s not surprising, but it’s never that easy is it?

Perhaps expanding battleground? It always felt a bit short to me. Another objective inside the city (obviously not in the scope of the entire fortress) would be interesting, but it would only be one objective, far more manageable.

• I play team objective 90% of the time. It looks like the most played mode. I love it. Its going to be a sad day when chivalry has no team objective. I would like to think the new modes will make up for it but in all honestly I doubt it.

Knil is right I have a sense of winning or losing with t.o maps. I play other map modes like death match to test out new weapons or screw around because I care wayyy less who wins the round.

One good t.o map is better then 10 death match maps.

• Yup. I’m a TO player through and through. I think personally the XPAC will suffer without adequate TO maps.

TO is just the best mode imo, feels like a real battle. Very Chaotic and messy, lots of variables and uncontrollable scenarios. It’s a true bloodfest. Mind you, lets see how some of these maps turn out with their modes!

• No heater shield knight - too much work.

No TO DW - too much work.

I think I’m justified being disappointed.

• Deleting ReMixx - just the right amount of work.

• I’m quite sure there will be a lot of disappointed people when this gets publicly announced with no TO.

That knight castle map seems designed for a siege TO. Could easily be like the second part of Battlegrounds plus an objective inside the castle. I’d enjoy playing that as a TO map on regular CMW. ;)

Presumably at the very least it will still be possible for mappers to create TO maps for CDW with the SDK?

• @AngryDave:

That knight castle map seems designed for a siege TO. Could easily be like the second part of Battlegrounds plus an objective inside the castle. I’d enjoy playing that as a TO map on regular CMW. ;)

Presumably at the very least it will still be possible for mappers to create TO maps for CDW with the SDK?

I was wondering about this too. I presume it will come out in a patch afterwards as it was in Chivalry.