Smooth spectator camera

• Developer

I don’t know if anyone’s noticed this, but I have seen some people recording in spectator mode who could probably have benefited from it.

SwitchToObserverMode 2
    ```**in the console** will change you over to a smooth (and somewhat bizzare) spectator camera intended for recording, with gradual acceleration and deceleration of both camera movement and rotation. It's easier to control with a gamepad.

Linear/angular acceleration and max speed can be set with

SetObs2Speed
    SetObs2Accel
    SetObs2Decel
    SetObs2AngSpeed
    SetObs2AngAccel
    SetObs2AngDecel

MaxObs2Speed = 2000.0f;
    Obs2Acceleration = 0.35f;
    Obs2Deceleration = 200.0f;

MaxObs2AngularSpeed = 100000.0f;
    Obs2AngularAcceleration = 30.0f;
    Obs2AngularDeceleration = 6000.0f;

• Cool to have smooth observer mode :P I was testing it and I have some suggestions!

1. Default speed values were tooo wild for keyboard / mouse users so I am suggesting new default values. Basicly I put acceleration down and decceleration up, so its more easy to control =)

MaxObs2Speed = 2000.0f;
    Obs2Acceleration = 0.15f;
    Obs2Deceleration = 400.0f;

Obs2AngularAcceleration = 15.0f;
    Obs2AngularDeceleration = 12000.0f;

2. Control button to move downward because it will make close shots much more easier to do, and it looks silly to “look down” and press W to get down :D

3. Shift button for fast travel In my configuration 0.15f acceleration speed means good controlled speed for taking close shots of fights. But it lacks speed when you want to travel long distances to another objective. So I suggest that when Shift is pressed the Obs2Acceleration and Obs2Deceleration values are doubled.

4. Spectator can get stuck Two ways to solve this, add “reset position” feature or allow spectator to set noclipping on.

5. ALT button to show names overhead and health Just because ALT is default healthbar button in StarCraft 2 and I think other games as well. Plus currently you cant see the names of players.

6. SwitchToObserverMode 2 crashes on map change / team spawn. Maybe if you select team and then go back to switch to team to spectator mode. So if spectator is not considered as team it crashes?… Sometimes when I select team and class and then switch to spectator, I still spawn as previously selected unit, but I dont see myself on scoreboard! So check the variables when selecting team spectator from your codes plz!

7. Settings to config file Because these settings reset on every map change and takes some time to set them all to your liking.

• Developer

Awesome feedback!

@SHOT(by)GUN:

1. Default speed values were tooo wild for keyboard / mouse users so I am suggesting new default values. Basicly I put acceleration down and decceleration up, so its more easy to control =)

MaxObs2Speed = 2000.0f;
    Obs2Acceleration = 0.15f;
    Obs2Deceleration = 400.0f;

Obs2AngularAcceleration = 15.0f;
    Obs2AngularDeceleration = 12000.0f;

I’ve switched to these as defaults. I threw the other ones together after only the barest amount of testing ;)

2. Control button to move downward because it will make close shots much more easier to do, and it looks silly to “look down” and press W to get down :D

Fixed for the next patch (also for normal observer mode).

3. Shift button for fast travel In my configuration 0.15f acceleration speed means good controlled speed for taking close shots of fights. But it lacks speed when you want to travel long distances to another objective. So I suggest that when Shift is pressed the Obs2Acceleration and Obs2Deceleration values are doubled.

Added for the next patch.

4. Spectator can get stuck Two ways to solve this, add “reset position” feature or allow spectator to set noclipping on.

Observemode2 ghosting added for the next patch. Also made sure the velocity updates based on how the camera was actually able to move so it actually stops when you hit an obstacle instead of
    trying to press through it (resulting in getting stuck until you fully decelerate)

6. SwitchToObserverMode 2 crashes on map change / team spawn. Maybe if you select team and then go back to switch to team to spectator mode. So if spectator is not considered as team it crashes?… Sometimes when I select team and class and then switch to spectator, I still spawn as previously selected unit, but I dont see myself on scoreboard! So check the variables when selecting team spectator from your codes plz!

I’ve added something that might alleviate the weird spawning thing, I couldn’t reproduce that or the crashes. If this happens again after the patch, I might need you to send me your log file so I can figure it out (and see if you can figure out exactly what you did to trigger it).

7. Settings to config file Because these settings reset on every map change and takes some time to set them all to your liking.

Added.

• Whoa O_O that was fastest Suggest to fix I’v ever seen ;)

@CrustaceanSoup:

Awesome feedback!

Also made sure the velocity updates based on how the camera was actually able to move so it actually stops when you hit an obstacle instead of
    trying to press through it (resulting in getting stuck until you fully decelerate)

Yeah that was somewhat annoying sometimes, but I didn’t find the words to describe that problem or I could not come out with fix, but I’m glad you already got that sorted somehow :p