Getting hit out of reach with vanguard

• I did not play chilvary for short amount of time, when I came back I played more relaxed than I usually would and so I noticed something. How often vanguards get hit when you are sure that you are out of reach. The reason why it did not bother me before was cause as many players know, attacking while running at your opponent is usually the best strategy and really that’s mostly what decent players do. When they got to play defensive they play defensive but it’s usually at closer range where all dodging is done to the sides.
    To clarify something, I am not saying that it’s impossible to outreach someone with vanguard or to dodge their hits cause they are too far. The thing that I am talking about been mentioned by many and everyone agrees that it’s just tracer abusing. What happens is, you go back trying to get out of reach while someone runs at you and attacks. You can see the tip of the weapon and it seem like attack is over but then you still take dmg. I understand that obviously you wont be going as fast backwards while someone running at you forward but the fact that you can see the tip of the weapon and still get hit is just stupid.
    The reason why I put vanguard in the title is cause I noticed something. I played vanguard class and getting hit out of reach with it is usual. Knight with slow weapons that hit you when you can’t with you longer weapon, maa with their stabs that nearly ignore all the reach ideas. Sometimes knight can even hit you literally from the reach where you can’t hit them with longer weapon. Once you play little more relaxed you start notice those things.
    I swapped to knight in next game, and my experience with knight is way less than it is with vanguard. What I saw is that it is much easier to get out of reach with knight than it is with vanguard. The hits that would hit me when I played vanguard would not land when I played knight, a slower class. Most of the attacks that seemed to be out of reach did not hit me while they did all the time when I played vanguard. And running into someones reach with messer was as easy as it is running into someones reach with vanguard.
    This is not the nerf knights post thought since they already been nerfed but I am trying to figure out why is that vanguard would get hit where knight will not. The only thing I can think of now is that vanguards model is actually slightly bigger than the rest. So does that mean that their hitbox is also bigger? Can anyone verify that? If yes then it should just be reduced to knights hitbox. If thats not the case then can anyone find a reason for why vanguards get hit when it seem to be out of reach. If I just had a lucky play for a knight and really knights have the same issues, it is still does not take away the problem where you see mace go past your head and not reach you and then you take dmg while all pings are fine.

• What field of view are you using?

• It’s on 95, I did not touch it. Honestly, not sure what it even does.

• this has to do with the client side hit detection, basically the game is also set to judge where the other opponent is… but when you dodge or get out of the way of attacks sometimes, the game guesses wrong and thinks you are still there, but you aren’t. I’ve dodged out of the way of attacks and completely saw them swing in front of me

for example here’s a vanguard poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZo8W6XsgkM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGaTSUNbOlrrHRp5ykT14xQ&t=5m1s

• Great music man lol, listened to it too while playing. So it’s just games fault and bigger model got nothing to do with it? And can anyone explain field of view please?

• @Sciffer:

Great music man lol, listened to it too while playing. So it’s just games fault and bigger model got nothing to do with it? And can anyone explain field of view please?

yeah, i mean for the most part the client side hit detection works pretty well, but the way tb set it up, it has to decide where your character is, it’s not necessarily ALWAYS exactly what you see, the game has to determine where the tracers hit and where the character model is as it moves and such… so it’s not always 100% accurate as far as what you see so it’s not going to happen a LOT. Other games like Bf3 use client side hit detection, so sometimes when you play, you can run around a corner and clearly be blocked by a wall, and then get hit by a few bullets while in cover… it happens.

FOV adjust how much you can see, and it some games it changes how far out you can see. In this game it changes how far around you can see, thus ‘field of view’. The higher you set it in the game, the more around you can see, like you have more peripheral vision, but you sacrifice a little bit on range judgement. With you having your fov at 95… you can judge ranges even better in which case seeing swings hit you when they clearly don’t as far as you can see can be a little bit daunting and annoying i get it. FOV is all about preference, higher fov = more peripheral vision but more judgement needed for ranges, and lower fov is a bit better at judging range but has less peripheral vision. Also with lower fov, i think it feels like you are moving slower, and higher fov feels like you are moving faster, which is why i prefer the higher fov more than any other reason.

• Vanguard weapon reach is deceptively long. Brandistock and Zweihander in particular. The overhead Brandistock has a bit of a linger so it can be dragged and while you may think you were out of range, you can suddenly become in range with a bit of dragging and clever foot work.

• Thanks guys. I know that vanguard weapons can reach far and I don’t really have problem with those. Usually when I get hit from what it seem to be out of reach it’s mostly by maa or knights.

• @Sciffer:

Thanks guys. I know that vanguard weapons can reach far and I don’t really have problem with those. Usually when I get hit from what it seem to be out of reach it’s mostly by maa or knights.

It’s common for MaA’s to backstep (as in not dodging) out of the range of an attack and then hit you immediately with a stab. If the MaA is a good judge of the weapon range then he can do this before you even reach recovery state so you can’t even panic parry.

Of course, with the new movement speed buff for MaA, this is a lot more common than it was pre patch. It was still possible I mean, but you see it heaps more today.

I don’t know what to say about Knight though, a Knight shouldn’t technically be able to reach you at all if you take use of the insane knock back with Vanguards. There has been a few problems reported of swings ghosting through players, maybe that’s it. :?