Combat Feedback

• Mod

Cant find where to post this specifically!

So- After today’s test (Thursday) I noticed some changes to the system.
    I think the current movement speed is too fast considering the tweaks and changes made to the long range weapons, which caused me to often run into my opponents swing when I wasn’t planning to.

I really like the way the hockey stick got nerfed… im so sorry i cant remember the name for it which I should… Its much shorter now, and slower which is perfect for baiting people into your swings. Excellent. However it is now, like the bow, not causing any footstep sounds to play!

I think that the sarrisa shield employed is too small to be of any use AT ALL. I think the sarrissa should still be decreased in its reach to about 90% since im pretty sure no other weapon on chiv atm has that reach. 100% is just too much and I basically cannot block any sarrissa stabs or any attack really after I go in to attack, which makes this only logically countered by a ranged attack… So there is my opinion about that.

I think the thrown stagger causing spartan jav needs to have more velocity since it feels heavy, and that the stagger needs to be removed. - I feel that also the Xephos sword (i think) could use a faster stab animation since the slashing and chopping animations are too obvious and easily blocked… making me have to surprise attack from the rear to land any hits… and single out opponents impossible.

I would love to see the spartan being able to hold their shield up and down by using ALT key while holding RMB… sort of like the oriental warriors on the latest Tomb Raider games:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiProAjV_WQ&t=02m11s
    Since spartans and their shields are very bold in their general repertoire.

I think the pirate axe needs a very serious damage nerf or smaller reach. Its currently really big, fast and high damage. OP OP OP NERF :P

Ninjas dont seem to be able to dodge like MAA do anymore?? Is it intentional or just a bug?
    I think ninjas and vikings also could use a larger stamina pool than the other classes. But just slightly.

Thats about all I can think of atm.

• @User:

. I think the sarrissa should still be decreased in its reach to about 90% since im pretty sure no other weapon on chiv atm has that reach. 100% is just too much

100% of anything feels overpowered unless its a siege weapon.

• Sarissas are actually this long

[image:11u4snp0]http://www.tagmata.it/phalanx3fy1.jpg[/image:11u4snp0]
    [image:11u4snp0]http://www.englishare.net/literature/phalanx-LDS.jpg[/image:11u4snp0]

So I say, for the sake of realism, keep it the length it is. It is “short” already. ;)

Instead I think other aspects of fighting with the sarissa should be changed/added. Like how it is a two-handed spear, and should be used as such. So that means you can’t use the shield but instead of it resting passively on your back, it could be resting on your left arm/shoulder. While the shield is passive like that, it can only defend against arrows and not melee though (something the devs said.) Doesn’t matter, in fact I think it’s good because the sarissa is a bit too powerful and need a downside! So yeah, two-handed grip and shield only blocks arrows from his left side/front:

[image:11u4snp0]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HgxCDpp1n40/T6B4m-_-4KI/AAAAAAAADSg/NsggB_OXVgM/s0/greek%20phalanx.jpg[/image:11u4snp0]

Or, I guess, you can still have a shield block function? (above picture could be how the shield block looks, as well as when you do stab attacks, which only protects you passively from missiles)
    The only thing that is different is that the spartan needs to hold his weapon with two hands instead of one, but all the other functions are still there. He still has a shield passively blocking arrows, and he can raise the shield to block melee attacks. He just needs to be animated to do this with two hands.

Also, sarissa is a rather big weapon, swinging it should be slow. Haven’t tried swinging it much though, maybe it is like that already.

• The sarrissa is the only weapon I can do anything with as spartan. I hate spartan lol. It’s certainly hard to parry. But then again its somewhat hard to aim the stab. I think it’s to early to nerf it. Its hard to see when it is stabbing, but then again i play a lot of third person when I am not in a 1 v 1 situation.

Ok the pirate axe, I love it. I started used the blunder\axe combo and I smashed many. But still to early to know if it needs a nerf. Or maybe I love it so much I don’t want to see it nerfed hard to tell. I sucked bad with the pirate at first but this combo is sweet.

• Mod

After todays test (saturday 10/08/13):

I think the katana could use some cutting on the amount of stamina taken off of each swing. I feel that a katana is logically a lighter weapon and generally fighting with one is more about finesse than brutality. It currently takes me six swings to deplete my stamina (comboing them all of course) and I find myself picking longer reach weapon since they have that longer reach and often more damage while costing pretty much the same amount of stamina.

I also found some difficulty placing stabs with most samurai weapons maybe it was just my ping. This test I had around 180 ms.

Additionally I think the yumi bow needs a faster reaction time or slightly more arrows. Being that it is deposited as a supplement ranged weapon for a largely melee class and that samurai weaopn change is generally time consuming making it shoot faster would make it usable in short range combat. As it is right now I cannot plan on using the yumi bow unless I plan on standing on a distance and taking pot shots. I also think that the arrow spawns slightly to the left of where I am. (once again it could be lag)

Oh… Please nerf pirate boarding axe!! :rage:

• @User:

I feel that a katana is logically a lighter weapon and generally fighting with one is more about finesse than brutality.

After much googling, it seems like that both medieval swords and the katana weighs about the same (on average) - around 2.5 to 3 lbs. Though the katana is two-handed and rather thick for a sword.

I’d also say that all swords are about using finesse - they are very sharp, light and somewhat long and you don’t need much brutality to cut off a muscle and render a persons arm or leg useless. Unlike say maces and axes, where there’s a big weight at the end of a stick and you just repetedly bash someone to kill him. If you face an armoured foe with a sword theres even more finesse needed, to stab him in his nooks and crannies of his armour, but with a mace, bashing the head still does the trick.

• Mod

Nice bit of info there savage.
    I guess then samurais were hulking musclebound brutes? I havnt really done any fighting with weapons larger than a dagger in real life so I honestly have no personal experience.

But I would still go for the weapons with longer reach and higher damage since both my second choice and katana drain pretty much the same amount of stamina.

• First I’d like to say thanks for listening in regards to the Sarissa, they look great with the small shield on their arm (although it doesn’t seem to work yet).

I noticed that you can combo thrusts with the sarissa, I hope it’s intentional because it’s awesome. Probably needs some fine tuning in regards to combo times but this is how all spears should work.

That being said I think the Dory needs something similar, I would change the LMB swipe to a very quick, short range jab from which you can combo into a longer range thrust.

The shield bashes are coming along well but I think it would be a great idea if you could riposte off a correctly timed block into a shield bash. Wouldn’t that be awesome?

EDIT: feel free to merge this thread with User’s Combat Feedback one.

• As someone who has used medieval weapons since I was a kid I can tell you that a katana and a longsword fell pretty similar, in fact when you look at the traditional techniques they are both used quite similarly. There are differences but they are a lot more subtle than is often made out.

• I like the changes made to the sarissa, taking out an enemy with just a few pokes from 50 feet away just seemed unfair.

I love the combo thrusts as well, a bit unpredictable but not to overpowered either.

• Mod

After saturday playtest (17.08.13)

Sarissa tweaks are nice. Im glad you removed the ability to swing it around. However I still think it has too much reach.

After playing the knight map on today’s test I came to think that the samurai needs a little more ammo in their bow, maybe 10 arrows instead of 6. Mostly since I also know that the knight crossbow has 15 arrows.
    Considering that I think the samurai is at a disadvantage.

• So a HUGE bobbing motion was added to the screen when using all the pirates melee weapons.

If that’s meant to be sort of like Jack sparrows funny walk, I think that’s totally awesome except I feel it should be purely in the animation.

Don’t even know if that was intentional or not but it makes combat really wonky.

DRUNK PIRATE RULES by the way… new taunt is radical.

• Developer

Anything weird or odd or interesting with the classes that aren’t Samurai or Spartan might not be intentional. The only classes that are really ready for feedback right now are Spartan and Samurai, that’s why we’ve been tending to restrict tests to them.

• Sarissa’s gotten massive “nerfs” btw. It was copied over from Broadsword stats like every other weapon, but its timing values were just never changed, thus it was ungodly fast for its damage and reach.

• @Dr:

First I’d like to say thanks for listening in regards to the Sarissa, they look great with the small shield on their arm (although it doesn’t seem to work yet).

Yep, Me Zob and Lemonater tested out the Sarissa. Boy she is a beauty with her combos. I must say what I was really impressed about. Was the additional (Targe?) Shield applied to the character model? (As Zob said, we did not find it to work, infact at times it glitched the Spartan into ‘jesus T mode’

I would really like to see a similar thing for the Vanguard in Current Chivalry? (Perhaps goes in Special Equipment (Axes/Knives etc) Quiet frankly, it looks pretty cool, gives you extra protection from arrows.

I think there is an awesome opportunity to reuse some things here, though I could understand if it had to be unique.

Just an idea! :D

• Mod

Ive been playing with the kanabo on the training map.

It still looks pretty cool but it is generally not very effective, considering that it looks smaller than the bearded axe and generally swings way slower despite being genereally composed of wood.

I find that despite having a large damage pool, the speed at which it is animated does not make up for it.
    I believe making the animation play faster would give this weapon a much needed boost.

• Sarissa’s windup time feels a lot slower, which is great considering it has such a powerful thrust.
    I feel its somewhere on the line of either being to powerful or to heavily nerfed but not quite finished yet.

Maybe its because I am not really used to stabbing only weapons?

• @Dr:

First I’d like to say thanks for listening in regards to the Sarissa, they look great with the small shield on their arm (although it doesn’t seem to work yet).

I noticed that you can combo thrusts with the sarissa, I hope it’s intentional because it’s awesome. Probably needs some fine tuning in regards to combo times but this is how all spears should work.

That being said I think the Dory needs something similar, I would change the LMB swipe to a very quick, short range jab from which you can combo into a longer range thrust.

The shield bashes are coming along well but I think it would be a great idea if you could riposte off a correctly timed block into a shield bash. Wouldn’t that be awesome?

Yay! You listened! Again!

Now the LMB of the Spartan Dory is a quick thrust that can be comboed into another quick thrust, a long thrust or a shield bash… awesome. Exactly what the Spartan needs, gives them lots of options to mix it up and so powerful.

Great work guys.

• I didn’t try much of this setup….but when using the Sarissa’s little shield with a sword it seems like it barely gives you any blocking/protection. The shield raise seems to be about chest height and not in front of your face like with other shields. Are you supposed to look up real hard to block stabs to the face?

• @AngryDave:

Are you supposed to look up real hard to block stabs to the face?

That’s what I had to do. It blocked the majority of attacks except for swipes at my feet… Goat called hax on it… shrug. Staring at the sky makes it pretty hard to know where your enemy is to face them… :?