[KNIGHT] Shield Knight

• I’m currently have issues dealing with MAA’s with the longsword kite shield knight, Like they’ll thrust I’ll block they’ll dodge back and then come in with another thrust as I’m on riposte, Their attacks always connect my alt thrust connects sometimes but not always, Then they’ll move in and try to look for areas where I’m open. It’s getting pretty frustrating because if I attempt what I think is a feint thrust they’ll follow with a kick I’ll be dazed and then they’ll rinse and repeat till I’m dead.

Not sure what to do, Any tips would be kind I’m only new to the Shield knight, I like the lure of this class because you’re using mainly footwork.

• Don’t use the shield until Torn Banner fixed it. Right now it only blocks your vision, makes your stamina disappear and gets you stunned.

(1) Chase him around. Make him dodge/miss/parry as often as possible and do not let him time to catch his breath. Avoid losing a lot of stamina yourself. Wait for him to become exhausted, stun him and hit him. Repeat. (The strangling way.)

(2) Try to trick him into closing in by comboing and feinting. Sometimes a fake “panic” parry will do the job or just idling a little bit longer. Some MaA are prone to side dodges - use slash for this. If everything goes right he will run into your attack. (The deceptive way.)

(3) Get close, closer! Do not leave him any personal space. He will most likely try to get some distance between you. If he is cornered (or actually enjoys hugging distance) attack him, if he panics feint and then attack. (The bullying way.)

• Sadly; Evil Minion has a very valid point, shields have been progressively nerfed to shit. However, I’ve played 850 hours+ as a shield knight and I’m currently doing reasonably well against MAA by using the Norse sword. For starters alt slash - overhead/stab combo is surprisingly effective; they generally don’t expect such a fast weapon.

Still; ask yourself this, is it worth the all effort just to do reasonably well with a shield?

• I still love using the shield even if it is not so great anymore. When I go shield knight, I will usually run sword of war or norse sword. I use the primary weapons with the shield a lot for dodging man at arms since its slower. You can run at them with an alternate swing and sometimes when they back dodge they still get hit. I can usually spot kicks because I use my shield like the parry. If you see them start to swing, wait until the last second to block and if nothing connects with your shield, then you know they probably feinted and are about to kick you, so you should drop the shield. I also see many people try to jump at you and kick you without a feint. I think this one is pretty easy to spot, as I only raise the shield when I see them winding up. Turning up your fov also allows you to see better when your shield is raised, so if you are having trouble seeing kicks when your shield is raised turn up you fov.

One more thing that works well with the shield is purposely missing your swings. This is especially deadly with a fast weapon such as the norse sword. Sometimes I will open up a fight by purposely missing a slash then comboing into a stab. They will try to parry your first strike and see you miss it, and most of the time they will try to attack you after that miss, but your combo is quicker so your strike will land first and flinch them. I find that this doesn’t work as well against more experienced player but against newer players it is especially deadly.

• @Reginhard:

Sadly; Evil Minion has a very valid point, shields have been progressively nerfed to shit. However, I’ve played 850 hours+ as a shield knight and I’m currently doing reasonably well against MAA by using the Norse sword. For starters alt slash - overhead/stab combo is surprisingly effective; they generally don’t expect such a fast weapon.

Still; ask yourself this, is it worth the all effort just to do reasonably well with a shield?

To me using something different to what other people are doing is what drives me to be a shield knight, That and the added difficulty of using it, But when there are certain stratergies with little to no effort to perform that can effectively kill a shield knight each time it becomes frustrating to play that class.

However, The added benefit of using a shield as opposed to no shield is that the shield can act like a blindfold sometimes and hide the sword generally when I go in for a thrust I’ll turn to my right to hide the sword and windup the thrust so they cannot see it and then turn left at the last moment so I can accelerate the thrust.

So the answer to your question is, Yes. Something extremely difficult to master is instantly more gratifying than something that isn’t.

• SirBlade you have my respect.

• I don’t do anything fancy with Shield Knight, I mostly use it as a crutch since I’m not the greatest at parrying.

• My crutch is broken.

• I used to play shield being of a defensive nature.

But I find a shield makes my melee defense worse than without a shield so I find it pointless.

• I still think the shield has it’s uses. I normally pull it out when I’m outnumbered to block multiple strikes.

• I have never used shield, can’t deal with the loss of vision and possibility of being stunned, instead, I abuse shield users with my glorious feint to kick, assuming they are using a big shield, they can’t see the feint coming most of the time.

I’m so rude.

• @zombojoe:

I mostly use it as a crutch since I’m not the greatest at parrying.

Blocking with a shield is actually harder than parrying. The fact that shields are bigger than the parry/block hitbox makes them harder to aim as you often can’t see the tip of the enemies weapon. The use in timing is also limited. You can block too late just like you can parry too late. You can block too early and your enemy can just feint to kick. Or he just feints to attack or delays it hoping you drop your guard because you expect a kick to come.

In groups fights shields can be useful because you are able to protect youself and others from projectiles and block multiple quick attacks from different enemies. If allies cover each other they can avoid getting stunned (taking a break beaing replaced by a teammate) or at least have a chance to survive when stunned (enemies have other guys to worry about).

Another use is to use shields deceptive taking advantage of the fact that they block vision. If you keep your shield between your enemies eyes (note: they can be in his head but they can also invisibly float in the behind him) and your weapon you can make it harder for him to react to an attack. Prime example is the Norse Sword stab in combination with a Buckler.

These are some tricks that shield users can use but they don’t change the fact that shields are vison blocking stamina drain machines that get their user stunned frequently.

• I have quite a few gameplay hours but I’ve used shields for maybe 2. I absolutely cannot stand them and have always felt like they’re nothing but a liability. Even before the kick changes and the stamina nerfs. I’ve seen some really good players manage their shields well, but all it takes is one well hidden kick to ruin everything.

As of right now, I can only see two practical uses for shields for the everyday player.
    -Passive projectile guard, even though in most situations, unpredictable movement nullifies the need for it. You’ll typically only need this for when there’s an absurdly high archer count, or a few VERY good archers.
    -Fighting against multiple enemies. It CAN defend you from multiple attackers, but if you cannot reposition yourself in time for a safe counter attack, all you’ll be doing is stalling your death as they rapidly drain away your Stamina.