Extremely Sexist

• I was extremely disappointed that there were no options for me to have a female character. In fact, women are completely absent from the kingdom of Agatha. Every peasant and member of the King’s family is male.

In real life, we have many examples of female warriors. Joan of Arc comes to mind. As do Tomoe Gozen, Hua Mulan, Boudicca, and many others. (Not that the historical angle has any merit - many of the armor and weapons in the game are from a variety of periods and don’t work exactly like their historical counterparts do.)

Female gamers make up %45 of the gaming population, according to recent polls. When a developer chooses to ignore the existence of female gamers, they’re putting themselves at financial risk. PC gaming has been steadily losing ground to the console market, and by putting a big “no girls allowed” sign up PC game developers are throwing away money for the sake of catering to a boy’s club of veteran grognards who haven’t been relevant since the 90’s.

• viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4992&hilit=female
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5327&hilit=female
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7393&p=62934&hilit=female#p62934

Well discussed before.
    I never really read through any of these thoroughly but I believe TB has already has a public stance about not planning to add any female characters to CMW.

Also I do not think that not including female characters makes it a boys only club and if anything that statement is sexist. I know for a fact there are female players on this game player-base.
    I also know a bunch of women who play first persons who all stated they would much rather not have female models in these games for various reasons.

I am pretty happy with chivalry not having any female models BUT… you will soon most likely be able to add your own models as a mod for chivalry so there is a chance some might pop up with females included.

• You should be happy that you can play as superior gender.

• A female character would need to have the exact same skeleton and animations as the males, or it would make the game unbalanced; so it is also a techical issue.

[image:1x52arks]http://i.imgur.com/JtTz3LY.jpg[/image:1x52arks]

• @r_:

A female character would need to have the exact same skeleton and animations as the males, or it would make the game unbalanced; so it is also a techical issue.

[image:34rv93h0]http://i.imgur.com/JtTz3LY.jpg[/image:34rv93h0]

I’d tap that.

• Why is it that the only topic women can bring to the table, is the fact there are no women characters in the game.
    First difficulty: female textures, animations and voicovers - all of that takes lots of time and money.
    Second problem point: killing lots of women in video games (for example female peasants) has bad PR written all over it, all sorts of controversy will arise and bad press. Too much trouble.

• Developer

I’d just like to point out that we made this game with just about no money at all.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

I’d just like to point out that we made this game with just about no money at all.

To expand on this, we had one part time character artist. Which is obvious when you see that the royal family and peasants, are in fact all the same model. The vanguards are also very similar.

There is no agenda really.

• @Andrew:

@CrustaceanSoup:

To expand on this, we had one part time character artist. Which is obvious when you see that the royal family and peasants, are in fact all the same model. The vanguards are also very similar.

There is no agenda really.

Because it’s Royal Family in disguise! Right? :(

• “Extreme sexism” would be if they refused to sell you the game because of you gender not because you can’t play as your gender (tbh you’re going very OTT and it’s rather pathetic). Sure Joan of Arc was a female warrior but she was one person, there were no European armies with women serving in their armies en masse. I prefer plausibility, in a game with a more modern setting I wouldn’t complain about playing as a women…

• There characters are also no black, asian, hispanic, arabic, etc. characters in this game. Does that make it racist as well as sexist?
    Are you so unable to relate to a character or avatar just because he or she doesn’t exactly match your own particular group of human being?

• This is almost certainly a troll thread but I feel the need to point out that two of your historical examples very likely weren’t real people at all and the term ‘warrior’ is an extremely strong word to use for the other two.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

OK, so now that it’s released and has sold well, are you going to be adding female character models?

For my part, as a bloke I’d feel fairly fucking queasy about chopping the limbs off a female character model, but if any female gamers want to play as their own gender, then why the hell shouldn’t they?

• @Orkboy:

There characters are also no black, asian, hispanic, arabic, etc. characters in this game. Does that make it racist as well as sexist?
    Are you so unable to relate to a character or avatar just because he or she doesn’t exactly match your own particular group of human being?

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I’d also feel pretty weird dismembering female characters. Just not right, breaks immersion. It’s supposed to have a historical tint to it. Fact remains, most medieval fighting was done by d00dz.

Also, there’s a reason most female gamers prefer to play under masculine names.

My in-game name is Carolean, and I get flamed occasionally because historical illiterates don’t know what a Carolean was, and they assume it’s a derivative of “Caroline” or something.

And how the hell is this “extremely sexist”? It must be hate-crime-caliber racist, too, because there aren’t any other people than white guys in exaggerated British-sounding accents.

This game is played for a gritty, hack-and-slash, adrenaline-filled experience. Not an RPG-style immersion.

And, if we did have female peasants, would people gripe about how misogynistic the devs must be?

And FYI, if Kimiko wanted female character models, they probably would have been put in.

• I don’t think this thread will be going anywhere productive.

• @b3h47pte:

I don’t think this thread will be going anywhere productive.

I see what you did thar. ;)