Shield Knights

• Anyone else feel like you are a weakling when you use a shield as a knight?

The stam drain on shields change some patches ago has made shield knight feel less than tanky. This along with special daze time is pretty rough sometimes.

May just be me but what are the thoughts here?

• Yea shields could use some love. Another note is using the buckler or tower shield makes feint into kick pretty much undetectable since your whole screen is covered, you have to look into the ground to tell making feinting shield users even easier than parries. At least you can slow down people who dance while using lmb spam for teammates to strike and it helps block projectile. I’m sure shields will get improved next patch though, its a very common complaint.

• Shields could use some tweaking, because right now they aren’t worth much when blocking heavy-hitting weapons (which will take away more stamina on blocking). The idea of shields as an extendable parry could be improved too - by increasing shield’s blocking volume, especially for biggest shields, like tower shields, because there should be some sort of trade off when you sacrifice your reaction time and field of vision.

• Unfortunately, the only thing shield knights are good for now is to absorb stamina drain for their teammates.

Ok, I exaggerate, but shields aren’t in a very good place now. There is almost no reason to use them beyond leaving them to be a back ornament or simply to block arrows while advancing until you reach any melee, where you will almost always want to put the shield away. We were discussing this in the other thread, but what we’ve come up with so far is the idea of being able to actively block from your shield side while attacking. I believe Nova suggested this. This would alleviate one of shield users’ glaring weaknesses: 1vN combat. As shield users’ cant riposte, I find they particularly suffer in group settings because they simply have to block more blows and this obviously drains their stamina quite heavily. Add in the mobility and vision issues, and they are needlessly difficult to do well with in either duels or group fight settings.

And the Tower shield definitely needs some specific love and attention. There is absolutely no reason to use it over the kite shield. The somewhat improved arrow coverage is negated by the awful vision and mobility.

• Seriously, shield are still super strong, even more easy to play in some way, it’s still one of the best in duel if not the best setup(kite knight), the stamina don’t matter so much here, the parry in recovery help shield user so much, it is just super easy to block everything now, it’s also a lot harder to kick shield user now, since there is a change about being daze or not when unhold shield at the last moment, the only negative change is the stamina, but again it’s not that terrible in duel and shield were always not so good in teamgames.

+stamina should change next patch.

• @Sirbarthelemy:

Seriously, shield are still super strong, even more easy to play in some way, it’s still one of the best in duel if not the best setup(kite knight), the stamina don’t matter so much here, the parry in recovery help shield user so much, it is just super easy to block everything now, it’s also a lot harder to kick shield user now, since there is a change about being daze or not when unhold shield at the last moment, the only negative change is the stamina, but again it’s not that terrible in duel and shield were always not so good in teamgames.

I’m pretty sure everything you just said was completely wrong.

• I’m pretty sure everything you just said was completely wrong.

Yeah but you’re also pretty sure that archer melee is super OP so yeah……

Patchnote bug

Kick stun applying during shield drop rather than only active block.

• Yes. Shields in general need a buff. At the minimum the stamina drain should be lessened.

Really I’d like to see something else to buff them as well, one of the best ideas I’ve heard is to give a form of riposte. In this case though if you time your block properly you would bypass shield down time rather than do a true riposte. Something along those lines I think is really needed.

• Great to see I am not the only one, I would love to see some sort of special ability that really seperates a block from a parry. Being able to actively block shield side while attacking would be a fun thing to test.

• @Dr:

Yes. Shields in general need a buff. At the minimum the stamina drain should be lessened.

Really I’d like to see something else to buff them as well, one of the best ideas I’ve heard is to give a form of riposte. In this case though if you time your block properly you would bypass shield down time rather than do a true riposte. Something along those lines I think is really needed.

I like this idea.

• @SOC:

@Sirbarthelemy:

Seriously, shield are still super strong, even more easy to play in some way, it’s still one of the best in duel if not the best setup(kite knight), the stamina don’t matter so much here, the parry in recovery help shield user so much, it is just super easy to block everything now, it’s also a lot harder to kick shield user now, since there is a change about being daze or not when unhold shield at the last moment, the only negative change is the stamina, but again it’s not that terrible in duel and shield were always not so good in teamgames.

Most of what he said is correct. High level shield users have always been a terror in duels vs Knights and Vg’s and now the .3s shield drop not resulting in special daze on kick has made it much harder to kick a high level shield user who is on their game.

@Sirbarthelemy:

Yeah but you’re also pretty sure that archer melee is super OP so yeah……]

I was with ya till u said this Sir Bar :(. But that is a different issue…

• People are especially adept at getting around blocks have no extra problem against shield users compared to non shield users. The added benefit is actually that they do not have to worry about riposting. On the flip side, feints are much more effective against a non-shield user.

I think the shield drop change was a good choice, but unfortunately that might not be enough in team modes. However, tower shields don’t really seem to get utilized that much, and perhaps might be really effective at reducing the threat of some prime archers if used properly for the team.

Also, shield stamina drain was not changed.

• @NoVaLombardia:

People are especially adept at getting around blocks have no extra problem against shield users compared to non shield users. The added benefit is actually that they do not have to worry about riposting. On the flip side, feints are much more effective against a non-shield user.

I think the shield drop change was a good choice, but unfortunately that might not be enough in team modes. However, tower shields don’t really seem to get utilized that much, and perhaps might be really effective at reducing the threat of some prime archers if used properly for the team.

Also, shield stamina drain was not changed.

Most players I talk to say they avoid tower shields because of the huge visibility drop, making it hard to react to certain tactics, now, maybe they are holding their shield up too long, but I don’t use shields, so I have no input myself. All I know is most knights seem to prefer Kite in scrims which fits into your statement. I think the visibility drop is one of the prime factors.

• However, tower shields don’t really seem to get utilized that much, and perhaps might be really effective at reducing the threat of some prime archers if used properly for the team.

Lack of visibility and long shield drop time means you can’t react properly, pretty much you can block hoping for help to arrive before you run out of stamina or you use longish weapon, luring enemy into an attack and attacking him yourself, but more experienced players won’t fall for this one. The larger - supposedly - blocking volume of tower shield means nothing when one can hit you “around” the shield. If you still have to be that precise, instead of having a huge wall in front of your eyes then the kite shield is much better shield to be used in combat of all three shields.

• Shields are right now too strong in duels and too weak in teamplay.

• When you use a tower/kite shield you can use third-person view to eliminate any sight issues. It’s actually one of the few situations that third-person works surprisingly well. Hopefully your mouse has additional buttons on it because it will make it quite a bit easier to perform.

• @dpunk:

When you use a tower/kite shield you can use third-person view to eliminate any sight issues. It’s actually one of the few situations that third-person works surprisingly well. Hopefully your mouse has additional buttons on it because it will make it quite a bit easier to perform.

Most Australian servers don’t have 3rd person enabled, But I’ve used the tower shield a bit myself at 119 FOV to avoid weird stretching effects. And at 119 it’s slightly playable the only problem for me is dealing with slow twohanded weapons like the Halbred, I’ve had times where I assumed someone was gonna attack but they feinted while my shield was raised and once I lowered it I got hit by a delayed stab.

It’s nice to play and it’s slightly more decieving than the kite shield but fighting in team fights is almost impossible because I can only just see what people are doing around me you lose track of people and I find myself being easily overwhelmed.

• As SHH said, the best buff to shields in my opinion would be to let them passively block - and to let shield bashes actually block too, instead of just being a reanimated kick.

Before changing stamina drains tho I’d like to see the panic parry feature removed, since that coincided with all of the new wacky stamina drains. Supposedly all the shield stamina values haven’t changed, so removing that awful feature might restore shields to a decent state.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Shields are right now too strong in duels and too weak in teamplay.

I’ve never had an issue kicking shield users to death.

Feint to kick to make sure you are in range and then go to town, usually you can get 2 hits in if you are good at getting around badly placed blocks. 2 kicks and the duel is over.

@dpunk:

When you use a tower/kite shield you can use third-person view to eliminate any sight issues. It’s actually one of the few situations that third-person works surprisingly well. Hopefully your mouse has additional buttons on it because it will make it quite a bit easier to perform.

Many servers have 3rd person disabled, as well as competitive servers and scrims don’t allow 3rd person because of the imbalance it causes.

One feature I could get behind would be a very slight transparency for things like raised shields, bows when you zoom in and other things that block your screen. 20% transparency or something of the sort.

• @?B:

@rumpelstiltskin:

Shields are right now too strong in duels and too weak in teamplay.

I’ve never had an issue kicking shield users to death.

Feint to kick to make sure you are in range and then go to town, usually you can get 2 hits in if you are good at getting around badly placed blocks. 2 kicks and the duel is over.

Good shield players will always lower their shield in time. You can kick them maybe 1/10 times.