No more WOW!

• Hey guys,

I love Chiv. I’d love you to make an RPG using the Chiv mechanics. A fantasy COOP RPG using these combat mechanics would be off the chart awesome.

Fighting goblins, orcs, trolls with the ability to learn new skills and tricks. I think that’d be really popular.

Thanks

SM

• There is a kind of similar suggestion relating to the old Unreal tournament game mode where you team coop against ever increasing numbers of monsters. Either/or would be cool.

• I hope lots of people replied to that (and this) as it’s a new game / new game mode I’d love to see.

• Please do a search, a MMO or Skyrim style game with Chiv mechanics is always being asked for.

My personal feeling is that it just wouldn’t work well. Chiv fighting mechanics are great, but can you imagine doing that over, and over, and over, and over in such a style game, just to kill a single enemy? There’s a reason such games use less complex fighting systems, due to the nature of fighting lots and lots of enemies over time to grind your XP / loot / whatever. The combat of Chiv simply isn’t designed to fight hordes of enemies at once.

Now Chiv mechanics, but transposed into something like on a full on battlefield / medieval war… Thinking something strategic like Rome Total War, but able to go down to individual soldier level and fight it out with Chiv combat, now that’s something I could get behind. Basically like we have now, just with more tactics and on a larger scale.

• I think it can work for chiv. Considering you have to sit through skyrims shit combat over and over again. And at least in chiv you can damage more than one person at once in melee combat unlike skyrim.

What your saying bob would be impossible with the unreal engine. If total war made that a feature everybody would die of happeness. And with chivalrys mechanics it would be the best game ever. But we know the first person in rome isn’t that great. Probably why they have moved the “insert” can by putting it overhead. The first person is a bit mount and bladey. In 3rd person it would be a good element of a total war game. Problem is mos of the combat is mostly set animations now to make it look more awesome. I have the demo of rome 2 which isn’t hard to get if you don’t mind being infected with half a million viruses. And man is that game amazing but yeah it’s mostly animation based combat except for most charges, Calvary kills and very minimal infantry kills, Where two units aren’t locked into an animation.

• Great to see a fellow believer.

Here are a few of my ideas.

1. Start small.

Have a small town with a board with postings on it in the center square. Here players can opt to do missions for the town and on which they’re ranked (if they survive).
    In the town, while they’re waiting for friends to complete their setup or perhaps spend RPG points that they’ve earned other players can duel in the town square if both parties agree.

2. Keep it small, and keep it objective based.

Just like Chiv is now, but with a dungeon with wandering monsters allowing for team strategy.

3. Allow for advancement.

I’ve thought a lot about this and there should be a way to advance but it’s important not to imbalance Chiv’s combat system.

• Ultima Underworld with Chiv mechanics, yes please.

• If they added a goblin, orc faction I think it would be poorly done unfortunately.

• Age of Conan, Mortal Online, Darkfall Online. All those games have similar concept.

This kind of game isn’t really meant to have persistent advancement. It wouldn’t be fun if their was a large discrepancy between low-level characters and end-game because the leveling would be very boring. And in the case that their isn’t any discrepancy, or very low, you might as well play chivalry.

I can see a game like chivalry, as an MMO coming out some day. But you really have to think about it. It would probably be F2P. And in the end, when people care about the PvP in the end game, the only difference would be that many people wouldn’t have access to the entire arsenal of weapons or classes. It would be chivalry with weapon/class restrictions unless you pay up or sink an unreasonable amount of time into the game.

MMO are becoming less popular. People are realizing that their PvP is sub-standard compared to contemporary PvP games and their PvE is also sub-standard compared to contemporary RPGs. I see a game like this beginning the dying phase in less than a year.

• @dpunk:

MMO are becoming less popular. People are realizing that their PvP is sub-standard compared to contemporary PvP games and their PvE is also sub-standard compared to contemporary RPGs. I see a game like this beginning the dying phase in less than a year.

It should be pointed out that when I said ‘No more WOW!’ I perhaps should have said ‘No more MMO’s’

I think they’re all inherantly flawed. It’s the combat that I want to take over, it’s the coop online functions that I like. MMO’s for me will eventually lead to grind.

• @Strider:

It should be pointed out that when I said ‘No more WOW!’ I perhaps should have said ‘No more MMO’s’

I think they’re all inherantly flawed. It’s the combat that I want to take over, it’s the coop online functions that I like. MMO’s for me will eventually lead to grind.

Developers struggle to think out the box with MMO’s.

I could come up with a Chivalry based MMO design that blows every MMO out of the water, is relatively cheap to produce, is unique, but… its hard to convince anyone outside very bland genre based games.

• I don’t care what genre the game is, just typically, MMO’s have been about grind and that’s why adding a great fighting mechanic won’t solve repeated quests.