On average, how big are the custom maps in size?

• Each map varies ofcourse, but I’m curious, since TBS can’t minimize patch file sizes because of how the UDK works, will each map also be substantial in file size?

• My folder of cooked maps comes in at 87.8 Mb, much smaller as a zip though (35Mb). However my TO map is almost 80 Mb and that’s still in Alpha.

• @Dr:

My folder of cooked maps comes in at 87.8 Mb, much smaller as a zip though (35Mb). However my TO map is almost 80 Mb and that’s still in Alpha.

I don’t plan on making maps, but what is used for map making for UDK games? Or chiv specifically?

like hammer for source games.

• @Dr:

My folder of cooked maps comes in at 87.8 Mb, much smaller as a zip though (35Mb). However my TO map is almost 80 Mb and that’s still in Alpha.

Wow that’s crazy for one map. Citadel is only 50mb or so, Darkforest ~42Mb.

• @NabsterHax:

@Dr:

They go through serious amounts of optimisation.

• It all depends if you use stream level or not. On my last map I have 3 part and a persistant one. They differs in size. Persistant is only 5 mb while the biggest part can be up to 27 mb.

• @NabsterHax:

@Dr:

Actually once cooked it’s under 20MB. I think I was looking at uncooked map files.
    @lemonater47:

They go through serious amounts of optimisation.

Yeah, I have only just started to do that.