Chivalry's arsenal, fine as is or wish there was more

• After seeing the inclusion of the flails, quarter staff, sling and poleaxe and with the large selection of weapons already present, creating new weapons to fit both mechanical balances and theme seams like a hard feat to do now. Would chivalry retain its same feel using early hand cannons like the Arquebus for archers.

Perhaps slightly foreign weapons of the medevil time period or even more ancient weapons like the indian origin katar fist weapon and chakram throwing discs, a roman gladius sword or pilum spear, kilij saber, lance (even if its a horse back weapon like the flail) and the often talked about rapier would be nice additions. The amount of daggers and short blades available such as dirks, sais, main gauche parrying daggers as examples show how fairly numerous that particular type of weapon is.

Do you think the arsenal is fine as is or could use a little extra flare? Is it just too hard to balance around or just unnecessary? What would you add or like to see if so?

• I would like to see a Glaive and a cleaver ;)

• I wouldn’t mind new stuff. But I think first they should concentrate on fixing bugs and eliminating OP weapons. They did well in the beta by reducing the vanguards knockback so spears aren’t so friggin hard to fight anymore, but the vanguard still has one weapon that needs to be changed in my opinion: the claymore.
    I don’t think there is ANY other OP weapon anymore. Only this damn greatbroadsword piece of desync.

And no I don’t want to start a discussion about OP weapons now. Just mentioned it.

Back to topic: I’d really love to see even more variation in the future.

Maybe a shortspear for the MAA and/or the knight.
    It’d look pretty cool making a shieldwall with towershields while there are shortspears pointing towards the enemies.

What I’d also love to see is longer secondary swords for the vanguard. Or making them primaries and give him access to heater shield, but I guess that would destroy what the class is actually there for… I’d just love the combination of the vanguards look with onehanded swords and a shield :D

But personally I don’t like the Idea to put in weapons that don’t fit chivalry. At least they don’t fit in my opinion. The gladius for example. It’s a cool weapon in my opinion and a rome mod would be cool, but agathians and masons stabbing each other with the gladius? Nah… That wouldn’t fit in my opinion.

• I think you’re right - while more variety would obviously be great, I imagine the game would become more difficult to balance if you keep adding more weapons.

@VanuTycon:

Would chivalry retain its same feel using early hand cannons like the Arquebus for archers.

Nah, this isn’t a great idea.

It’s been repeatedly suggested before (here’s one, but there have been others). That thread features quite a few arguments against adding gunpowder weapons, so I wont paste them all here - but personally, I think adding hand-cannons might encroach on the crossbow’s niche. It’s just difficult to see it actually improving the gameplay.

• The threat of one firepot far outweighs the threat of an entire shield wall, so…

I would really like to see MaAs have rapiers. It just would fit them so well. Otherwise I’m pretty happy with the arsenal.

• I’m happy with the selection as is. The only other weapon I would have loved to see (the falx) doesn’t really belong in this setting.

• @SOC:

I would really like to see MaAs have rapiers.

Would that actually be useful against armoured opponents? (Honest question, I’ve no idea).

Personally I feel Chivalry has a great arsenal for such a game. I like how Crossbows, Javelins and Bows all feel different too.

I think some weapons are far too similar with how they handle though, I’d like to see a bit more diversity in playstyles and/or how weapons are used. Either existing ones or vastly different ones. Stuff like the Quarterstaff was interesting since how it handles and works feels far different to anything else.

• @BobT36:

@SOC:

Would that actually be useful against armoured opponents? (Honest question, I’ve no idea).

I’m no expert on medieval weaponry, but I would imagine that a weapon designed for piercing would be useful against armored opponents.

• @SOC:

@BobT36:

@SOC:

I’m no expert on medieval weaponry, but I would imagine that a weapon designed for piercing would be useful against armored opponents.

The rapier was horrible against anything armoured. A cheap one often broke hitting another rapier.

It was a late 16th 17th century drilling sword that struggled to get through cloths let alone any sort of armour. The sabre was reinvented And replaced the rapier. And the sabre could be used in battle. The rapier never was. It was for show and duelling. A dagger made the same way would do a better job of piercing armour. As you can get for more control and more force behind it. It also had sharp edges and that made some people think it was a good slashing sword as well. No it wasn’t. As a stabbing sword It could get trough light armour such as leather. As soon as any sort of metal came into play it couldn’t do much stabbing or slashing.

Though I remember a YouTube video somewhere that shoes the rapier to be a very good arrow. It could skewer a pig right to the hilt as long as it didn’t hit bone. The pig was already dead by the way for those who might feel sad.

• there needs to be more variety with how weapons behave imo, falchion/flanged mace overlap is a good example. I proposed an upward swing for some weapons, however right now it feels like a mortal kombat game right now.

• @SOC:

The threat of one firepot far outweighs the threat of an entire shield wall, so…

Not if the shieldwall is disciplined. On a pub though it could easily break up a shieldwall because being burnt freaks people out.

Really a firepot doesn’t do that much damage so unless the other team is spamming MaA’s all with firepots it’s actually not much to worry about.

• @lemonater47:

The rapier was horrible against anything armoured. A cheap one often broke hitting another rapier.

It was a late 16th 17th century drilling sword that struggled to get through cloths let alone any sort of armour. The sabre was reinvented And replaced the rapier. And the sabre could be used in battle. The rapier never was. It was for show and duelling. A dagger made the same way would do a better job of piercing armour. As you can get for more control and more force behind it. It also had sharp edges and that made some people think it was a good slashing sword as well. No it wasn’t. As a stabbing sword It could get trough light armour such as leather. As soon as any sort of metal came into play it couldn’t do much stabbing or slashing.

The Maa is a class designed as a whole to be a dueling class and drag away from heavy combat to single out targets so it would fit the class quite well. Yes perhaps realistically it maybe not be ideal at penetrating armour but so would a sabers slash or broad dagger slash yet they deal damage to plate users in chivalry for game balance. You ideally could use the rapier to attack weak spots such as the slit of the helmet or in between joint in the armor where chain mail isn’t covering (real riveted chain mail I have no doubt in my mind would stop a rapier’s thrust cold). However your best point is its a 16th and 17th century weapon and may not fit the theme of the game which is heavily important.

I really want to see a Goedendag in this game though, such an awesome weapon!