MAA vs Knight is still impossible

• Oh look a Knight is swinging, lets just jump away and avoid the attack for a fraction of what it would have costed in stamina to block it. Oh look, a Knight is swinging, lets just BACKPEDAL away and lose NO stamina while the Knight loses all his stamina. And then run in and stab him after he misses.

So much FUN. The changes to stamina only made Van more manageable to Knight, which is not what they needed, Van’s were well balanced prior to the patch, since they were basically the only class which could possibly best an MAA 1 on 1. The removal of the chase mechanic destroyed the Knight however…

• Vanguard was not balanced before patch and now classer are more balanced than ever. Before patch there was no reason to play vanguard when knight is as fast cause of chase mechanic. Fixing chase mechanic was like one of the best things they did and knight is still very strong now. In duels knight still often get first places. Maa is still the best one on one class and better than vanguard too.
    You should be able to not get hit by maa that easy as knight too. If they dodge back, just walk back too as you attacking and you should be able to block by the time they get to you. If they back out you can just run forward with a stab and still hit them. Also if maa does dodge your attack, they lose stamina too, and more than knights do with their one handed swings.

• fighting a good MAA has always meant a sure death for me. however, i played last night and defeated a few maa’s with knight. i don’t have the 500 plus hours of playing, so i may not be the authority on this, but in my limited experience a MAA can be defeated. I just hate attacking one and getting owned by them-with their fast jumps to the side and all.

• How much hours have you put in the game OP?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

How much hours have you put in the game OP?

I would say enough to be able to see the truth. He is saying that MAA is not balanced in a 1v1 situation and he is correct. Especially against a knight. There should be no reason whatsoever for a MAA to lose to a knight. The dodge ability completely trumps the knights high-stamina-drain medium-reach weapons. MAA doesn’t even need to worry about stam drain from blocking a knights weapons because…well…it can dodge them completely for a fraction of the stam loss.

A vanguard might be slightly more tricky if they have a polearm or spear but other than that, no - it’s not balanced in 1v1. I haven’t even mentioned the superfast 1H sword stabs up until now and they are a whole different story of BS.

• @Goden:

@rumpelstiltskin:

! I would say enough to be able to see the truth. He is saying that MAA is not balanced in a 1v1 situation and he is correct. Especially against a knight. There should be no reason whatsoever for a MAA to lose to a knight. The dodge ability completely trumps the knights high-stamina-drain medium-reach weapons. MAA doesn’t even need to worry about stam drain from blocking a knights weapons because…well…it can dodge them completely for a fraction of the stam loss.
    !
    ! A vanguard might be slightly more tricky if they have a polearm or spear but other than that, no - it’s not balanced in 1v1. I haven’t even mentioned the superfast 1H sword stabs up until now and they are a whole different story of BS.

Agreed, although I don’t really agree with how OP was complaining about the MaA’s footwork not costing stamina. Post-bubble patch I find it almost impossible to kill a good MaA now that I can’t get a forward sprint boost or combo feint to parry, I feel like I’m forced to play defensively which just isn’t enjoyable for either me or the MaA.

• @Goden:

@rumpelstiltskin:

I would say enough to be able to see the truth. He is saying that MAA is not balanced in a 1v1 situation and he is correct. Especially against a knight. There should be no reason whatsoever for a MAA to lose to a knight.

This is essentially true, the only times I see equally skilled knights and MAA where the knight is the victor is when the MAA makes a mistake.

• @Goden:

@rumpelstiltskin:

I would say enough to be able to see the truth. He is saying that MAA is not balanced in a 1v1 situation and he is correct. Especially against a knight. There should be no reason whatsoever for a MAA to lose to a knight. The dodge ability completely trumps the knights high-stamina-drain medium-reach weapons. MAA doesn’t even need to worry about stam drain from blocking a knights weapons because…well…it can dodge them completely for a fraction of the stam loss.

A vanguard might be slightly more tricky if they have a polearm or spear but other than that, no - it’s not balanced in 1v1. I haven’t even mentioned the superfast 1H sword stabs up until now and they are a whole different story of BS.

How many hours?

• I think I put my profile on private, I have 173 hours in Chivalry, and feel the Van’s were in a good position pre-patch, though I mostly just play duels. I feel they were countered by ranged in team games, balancing out their amazing melee abilities.

The loss of the chase mechanic just destroyed Knights though… I mean now they have more stamina, but 1v1 a good MAA should win vs ANY Knight every time b/c of their ability to camp them. I posted this in another thread but MAA’s will probably always be God Tier in duels because the game is “balanced” around team-play and that’s what MAA’s are supposed to do, kill ppl 1v1.

• @theuprising:

I have 173 hours in Chivalry

You can’t talk about balance with 173 hours. I mean you can talk, but your opinion is just worthless.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@theuprising:

You can’t talk about balance with 173 hours. I mean you can talk, but your opinion is just worthless.

no u

• You can try switching to one handed and starting there. I’m nowhere close to a skilled user, but I noticed it helps with the ridiculously slow two handed weapons.

• @theuprising:

@rumpelstiltskin:

@theuprising:

no u

Seriously, there is still much to learn ahead of you. You probably got wrecked by some very high level MAA with over +400 hours who are more experienced at the game than you.

• 1300 hours here, and yes MaAs will always beat knight no matter how good the knight is unless MaA makes mistakes. OP was completely right when he said no more chase mechanic made things so much harder, but he also forgot to mention combo feint to parry was also the best tool against MaAs.

MaAs back pedal just barely slower than a knight’s sprint. However vanguards were pretty underpowered pre-patch, and now they can only 1vs1 decently against them with a claymore. Anytime MaAs lose, it’s because either an archer killed them, they died to another MaA, a claymore, or they made mistakes. Period.

• Claymore vanguards are easy cake due to their low range.
    Are you saying that best knights in america can’t beat maa?

• As a maa i actually find myself having more trouble than pre patch, losing vs vang GS and some 2h knight some time, this should be easier for you with the parry in recovery really that thing is broken, if you time it well you can use it 5 time with 2h and 6 time with 1h weapon, while the cftp prepatch was only 3 times, and it was way harder to use with timing etc, now you just mash your right button, just go for the simple tactic, run for the maa, when you’re close just spam, if you miss simply use parry inrecovery, if he feint keep spamming you will have the hitrade, and you will win the stamina battle for sure, if you time everything well.

• As the fastest and most agile class the MAA does have the advantage in an isolated 1v1. And that’s the way it should be. Not everything needs to be 100% balanced 100% of the time. You can’t expect that. Making the MAA “equal” to a knight in duels would likely mean crippling them in every other game mode.

• I swear in the patch notes the only stam drain changes were for parry. Not for dodge and stuff.

• A knight playing cookie cutter will always lose against a decent MAA.

Are you feinting to draw the dodge?
    Are you dragging your thrusts?
    Are you pressuring the MAA when he has dodged one too many times?
    Are you using delayed overheads?
    Are you ducking his thrusts and slashes?
    Are you switching to your secondary? (norse sword, broadsword)
    Are you using parry combos/ripostes?

The list of ways to beat an equally skilled MAA continues.

• MAAs are designed to be 1v1 fighters.
    Vanguards are 1vMany fighters.
    Knights are tanks.
    Archers get range.

Why would it be balanced if someone who has more armour and a longer, more damage weapon won fights 50/50 against someone with less health/less damaging weapons? Why would anyone choose the MAA then?