Let's talk patch- really early impressions

• So I played the patch tonight for a few hours. I can’t get really in depth on it just yet, but there were some things I noticed initially.

Honestly right now I’m a little disappointed with the “better duel interface” I heard we were getting. Basically the only difference seems to be a different graphic in the border of the victory/defeat window. Still no ping indication, still no easily accessible voting options, accept/challenege is still horrible. Customization doesn’t load well in duel (and possibly ffa?), and requires you to open your customization window every time you switch out a class in order for it to load your guy.

That disappointment pales in comparison to the ever present ghost/phantom swings. This is a problem that needs to be fixed and, in my opinion, be top priority. In a game where hit detection is everything a problem with that particular game mechanic is often times game breaking. Whereas I barely noticed them working against me, now I see them a lot from my end and the opponents end equally. I’m all for customization, but this is a glaring problem with the fundamental mechanics of this game.

Brandistock/spears and claymore still feel about the same in power. I understand the idea might be to tweak them down slowly, but you can still feint your way with a brandistock to victory. Now it’s lightning minus like .05 seconds, which is still incredibly fast for such a powerful weapon with such a powerful range. At least the claymore is lacking in the damage department.

Customization in general is alright. I like the new look all of the character models have to them. The difference is reminiscent of watching old Adam West Batman episodes and then watching Batman Forever or any of the new Batman series. Everyone just looks cooler, and the option of darker tones of the team colors is really nice. The level 40 helmets are a bit distracting (level 50 isn’t so bad), but I imagine that’s something I’ll get used to. One inevitable issue is differentiating your team mates from your opponents. The darker blues of Agatha can look nearly identical to the black of the Mason Order, and especially so on low health- this also might take getting used to. Teammates should also be wise about their color choices.

MaA feels super fast. Did they get faster? Also, I made my duel/ffa MaA look like Link from Zelda- awesome :).

How are everyone’s first impressions going so far? I feel like customization was the big change here, and everything else feels negligible.

Also where the hell are the modded maps? I was really looking forward to this.

• but you can still feint your way with a brandistock to victory.

You can do this with a lot of weapons, people hating on the Brandistock is getting very old.

• Yeah you can feint your way to victory with all weapons.

With the brandistock and spears they just slowed the LMB and normal stab which is the
    overhead animation.

I like the patch. All the rank 50s joined the agathain side and became the golden knights. And they still lost which was funny. Even with the team stacking.

And people are wearing my emblems. Including a rank 53.

• anyone else experienced performance drop?

logged in today just to see that the game has become unplayable on my system.

• You can do this with a lot of weapons, people hating on the Brandistock is getting very old.

While it is true you can feint and trick most people, it is not true all weapons are created equal. MaA stab weapons, spears, and the claymore all have an interesting ability in that

A) The windup is so quick that the audio grunting cue plays a lot of the time you’re feinting. This actually adds to the brandi’s feinting ability, as the game IS TELLING YOU it’s an attack when it’s not.
    B) The windup is so quick there’s not a decision to make, you must parry if you see a windup and are in range, or you’ll be hit. You cannot wait to see if it’s a feint, you will be hit before you know- the parry doesn’t react fast enough.

MaA stab weapons at least are weak(er) and require you to be within range for a threat. The issue with the brandi is that you’re most often in range.

At level 47, 700 hours played, I don’t have a problem with 90% of weapon feints if I just pay attention. The nerfed feinting window worked for a lot of weapons, but weapons with quicker windups are still superior in the feinting department for the reasons listed above. Call it “hate”, but I call it “very rational and easily explained reasons why I think the weapon is overpowered.”

Performance:

I’ve noticed a lot more lag, but I’m assuming it’s something to do with the new patch settling? Honestly the Multiplay servers are better off than the new Official Torn Banner servers, which I don’t think was the plan. [edit] Kimi has confirmed, it WAS the plan.

I was also in a couple of games last night where all players had 100+ ping on a server and saw no lag issues. I also saw several offical servers (Multiplay and TB) with low ping and terrible lag.

I also played in a few games with normal ping and no lag. I think it’s just business as usual.

• Official Torn Banner servers are on our dedicated, and are just there for testing purposes, so don’t count those servers as anything yet xD They are the first ones that get the patch out on them :)

• I cannot even get the patch… my game will not update and there are almost no servers on the list… I have no idea what could be wrong. I tried reinstalling… no help…

• @keibatsu:

I cannot even get the patch… my game will not update and there are almost no servers on the list… I have no idea what could be wrong. I tried reinstalling… no help…

Is your beta up to date? Last patch my game would not update until my beta was updated first. Don’t know why.

Also, I think if you verify the game cache you’ll get the new patch.

• @keibatsu:

I cannot even get the patch… my game will not update and there are almost no servers on the list… I have no idea what could be wrong. I tried reinstalling… no help…

Try restarting Steam.

• I agree that theres tonnes of stuff that I’d love to happen - but all the stuff that actually has been changed I like, so for me, I guess I’m happy. I reserve judgement on brandi but any minor nerf is better than nothing.

I agree with OP totally, n i guess I’d have taken a good, big old boring coding overhaul to fix a ton of balance issues n bugs, particularly with hitboxes and desyncs, over the new customisation anyday - but I like it nonetheless.

On a scale of hatred 1 - 10 pleased I guess im on a 7.

• The flag at startup menu never has a texture, this wasn’t ever an issue before.

Battlegrounds sky sometimes has no texture. I’ve seen some other people comment about it while I was in-game as well.

• My main problem is that the mason’s black is way too dark. That’s mostly it.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah you can feint your way to victory with all weapons.

With the brandistock and spears they just slowed the LMB and normal stab which is the
    overhead animation.

I like the patch. All the rank 50s joined the agathain side and became the golden knights. And they still lost which was funny. Even with the team stacking.

If they really want brandi to maintain that speed for the horizontal, they REALLY need to reduce the damage on the horizontal.

• @lemonater47:

that’s like if the animator of the game got angry because you’re using his models. Since you’ve submitted it to Torn banner, and it’s in the game, i reckon you’ll see many people using your emblems, i’d probably get over that fact pretty quickly or you’re going to have a bad time. It’s not like anyone can upload or add their own to the game themselves. I am using the scorpion.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@lemonater47:

that’s like if the animator of the game got angry because you’re using his models. Since you’ve submitted it to Torn banner, and it’s in the game, i reckon you’ll see many people using your emblems, i’d probably get over that fact pretty quickly or you’re going to have a bad time. It’s not like anyone can upload or add their own to the game themselves. I am using the scorpion.

Ummm, I think he’s happy people are wearing it dude.

• @Dr:

@clayton-bigsby:

@lemonater47:

Ummm, I think he’s happy people are wearing it dude.

was hard to tell

• “I like this patch”

I think that’s kinda a big giveaway.

And why would I make emblems of I don’t want people using them?

• idk, wouldn’t it be cool to have your own emblem that no one else could use, so you’re original? The point of customization? I sure would.

Sorry, i misjudged your post.

• @clayton-bigsby:

idk, wouldn’t it be cool to have your own emblem that no one else could use, so you’re original? The point of customization? I sure would.

Sorry, i misjudged your post.

I see you point of view.

In fact some clan members wanted that.

• I don’t know what it is, but something has changed the gameplay. I feel a lot slower (with ALL weapons), and the feint, block and even attack commands are not as responsive as before. I even have performance issues, and my settings are the same! It sometimes feel like my mouse sensetivity sky rockets for a second, and then goes back to normal.
    I think something is wrong here…