Your opinion about colors of customization ?

• @lemonater47:

Give it a month.

If you are still having problems with the colours after that time, something is wrong with your memory.

My spec and sidewinder here played the beta a lot. So we are already used to all the colours. And that character shape and helmet type now come into it. In fact at long range on darker maps you had to use character shape of colour to distinguish friend from foe.

Its an added challenge. In medieval times you didn’t have faction related colours. Especially between the 7th to 16th centuries. Where armies went to war wearing exactly the same armour as each other and had a bunch if colours. Battles would have had a similar level of customisation as in chivalry’s FFA. With less pink. Sometimes armbands were used. Flag bearers were needed more than ever. In the 100 years war many English soldiers including many lords and one of the kings wore French inignia and colours even. That was because the English believed they ruled most of France too.

So really this isn’t that complicated.

This x1000. I’m certain, just like with previous patches, time will allow people to adapt properly to the changes. The “confusion” this causes on the battlefield does add to a more authentic experience in my opinion.

@rumpel

I don’t disagree. You guys are taking that very limited poll far too seriously. I prefaced it quite a bit giving it a nod that it wasn’t very reliable. In the end TBS will have better access to all feedback and will be able to determine what they’d like to do with that information. Neither yours or my experience with the community, in our capacity as players, is going to tilt their judgement. Give it time and we’ll see what happens.

Just like with every patch.

• i have no problem with the new colors. i use fairly neutral color schemes and sometimes i see allies doubt for a sec or even attack me, and i still don’t see the problem.

why? because. this is not Team Fortress 2, so you can’t compare. this is a gritty, faux-realistic mayham medieval combat game, and being able to easily distinct friends from foe was never an essential part of this game, or being burned or blooded wouldn’t have ruined it.

for the style of this game, the decrease in color-coded for convenience is only an advance as far as i’m concerned. it’s more realistic anyway, that’s for sure.

if you add the option to players to have everyone displayed to you in disabled customisation, then it will be slightly advantagous competively to set it like that, and everyone competitive would use it, ruining the whole idea.

at most you could have server disable. but again, faction ambiguity is a feature afaic, and as evident by blood and burning removing your color anyway. so where’s the complaining about that?

• I think I will get used to it but atm it’s still very confusing. We made a scrim yesterday and tbh… when someone with green or yellow armor attacks me from the side I still need at least 0.2-0.5 seconds to think and in this time I’m already dead. But ye, I think I will get used to it over the time. An option to disable it would be still nice though.

• Can anyone confirm that typing in the console “customization 0” turns off customization?

• fuck these spambots.

it’s been removed, yay!

• Yes, forum can make something again’st fucking shit of messages ?…

Edit: Merci…

• It sounds pretty lame, but, if the ability to turn the colors off client-side is too big of a programming hassle, an equally painful method could be to have some sort of “Team Overlay”. This could manifest itself as a pop-up indicator over a teammates head when getting close enough. Granted, this is already pretty well achieved by the NameText that pops up, but still.

Personally, I find that looking at the helmet on particularly difficult to distinguish folks is enough for me, though, this could change with the introduction of more helms.

Either way, I think this adds a nice bit of environment to the game– there’s really nothing quite like being MORE confused on the battlefield.

Also, spambots are useful when you want to set up a pany magma grill royal calculator.

• This whole thing is stupid. I have accidentally TK’d someone maybe once or twice in the 30 - 40 hours I’ve played since the patch. I have not been killed by team due to customization, I have very obvious black and red on my mason, and very obvious blue and white on my agatha.

Wow that was so hard.

Edit: list of things that tell me people might be a little slow
    Helmet
    Chase bonus
    Red crosshair
    Name text
    Tabard colours
    Armor (knights)
    Emblems (some are agatha or mason only)

That being said, comp scene will probably have team colours or something so it’s not really an issue (for example when we scrimmed F right after the patch they were mostly yellow)

• @?B:

This whole thing is stupid. I have accidentally TK’d someone maybe once or twice in the 30 - 40 hours I’ve played since the patch. I have not been killed by team due to customization, I have very obvious black and red on my mason, and very obvious blue and white on my agatha.

Wow that was so hard.

Shhh, no one wants to hear that.

• its a problem

• Improvements to customization are being looked into.

• @Andrew:

Improvements to customization are being looked into.

Improvements??? But… But… It’s perfect… And everyone who doesn’t like it / complains, is just plain stupid… Haven’t you been reading the thread???

LOL

Priceless…

• @Canadian:

@Andrew:

Improvements??? But… But… It’s perfect… And everyone who doesn’t like it / complains, is just plain stupid… Haven’t you been reading the thread???

LOL

Priceless…

Go ahead and pull the quote where anyone said it was flawless. Not having an issue with it doesn’t mean there can’t be any improvements. Some of the ways i’d suggest improving customization is to provide a greater range of colors shades. As it is right now there are quite a few but there is always room for more. The same can be said for more emblems and patterns.

• What kind of improvement? I am curious and besides it’s always better to improve.

• @Andrew:

Please make it more realistic looking.

One of the most prominent things TBS said about the game before release was “Set in a fictional yet gritty and realistic world.”

Pink and light green stripes below a glowing helmet is not gritty and realistic. A lot of immersion was lost with the customization.

• @adamcel6:

One of the most prominent things TBS said about the game before release was “Set in a fictional yet gritty and realistic world.”

Pink and light green stripes below a glowing helmet is not gritty and realistic. A lot of immersion was lost with the customization.

Did you not consider the identical clone armies that Chivalry had before as immersion breaking? How did you personally reconcile that when considering immersion? Chivalry to me has always had some very prominent comical aspects. Things like exploding heads and pretty much all of the voice-overs are very much over the top and exude silliness.

For some of us we feel the exact opposite as you do and I defer to this quote from Slygoat that I feel puts it perfectly.

@Slygoat:

The lack of individuality in Chivalry is immersion breaking for me.

Medieval battlefields were not armies of clones. A knight didn’t wear a uniform, he wore his own custom made armor, and usually a surcoat or tabbard which was often intricately decorated. And he wore the coat of arms and colors of his house, or a personal emblem; sometimes the heraldry of his king or country would be worn alongside it, but a knight would never be exclusively identified as “an English Knight” or a “a French Knight”, they were knights of the house of X, or of the order of Y, or just Sir Whatshisname the guy with the pink unicorn emblem, because they could have whatever the hell emblem they wanted embroidered on their clothes and painted on their shields, because they were rich nobility and commanded respect even if their house’s coat of arms was a fluffy bunny.

• @adamcel6:

Pink and light green stripes below a glowing helmet is not gritty and realistic

Pink and light green stripes are. Glowing helmet is not.

There should be more colors. A light grey and a light blue for Agatha. The “standard shield” red and a dark grey for Mason. Maybe even more. And I would like to have the full palette for ffa/duel (right now you got about half the colors).

• yeah how do helmets get glowing anyway? it just looks like a bug. that has to go.

for colors, i’d like the Masons to be able to have their faction colors also as detail/emblem colors, just like the Agathans can do for most of their colors. and i’d like there to be a proper brown, and maybe a proper (non-pinkish) red too.

oh and it would be useful if there was a Transparant for emblems, so you can disuse part of it.

and myabe the Mason black-ish and Agathan dark blue could be more distincted. in low light, the dark blue does get awfully black-ish.

• @Andrew:

I hope those improvements involve getting rid off/toning down colours that look too out of place. I seriously thought “I don’t mind pink and neon green being in the game, who would ever use that?” when it was in beta, but now I see people wearing those colours everywhere! That’s more immersion breaking than having everyone being clones in red and blue. So tone down all these colours that stick out like that, it doesn’t fit the theme or the history. I don’t mind there being every colour of the rainbow in the game, but I just want them to actually look like something you can realistically dye a fabric with. Even black seems too black at times, you don’t see any wrinkles or whatever in the fabric.

I also wonder why you felt like including glowing helmets, what’s up with that?

• I think customization has made the game uglier overall. Solid brown, yellow and black players along with silver and gold helmets are eyesores.

I think the players should have been restricted to wearing mostly blue or red.

Going crazy with colors and designs should be limited to FFA and DUEL character models.