Is knowing the difference between colors a skill?

• Is there some study out there that has shown that color identification is skill-based? Like some people are “better” at knowing the difference between yellow or brown?

For this question I’m not interested in answers relating to colorblindness because it isn’t pertinent. The customization used in Chivalry is colorblind tested to make sure there were no colors used that would be associated with known colorblind disorders.

Do you consider myself or countless others who have no problem identifying colors and the associated teams with those colors as having a skill that allows us to do so?

I don’t think it is a skill as I was able to do it immediately the very first time and quickly on the fly. My gameplay hasn’t changed in the slightest from when it was just clone army blue against clone army red.

Besides colors there are a bunch of other ways to identify players. You have strong silhouettes, class-based helms, a crosshair that turns red when targeting an enemy player, specific voices for each team’s classes, and lots of situational indicators. (Players running out of opposite team’s spawn, players attacking you, players’ position on the map, players not being attacked by opposite team’s members, etc)

If one can feasibly tell the difference between players even with the new customization then what is it that allows them to do so? I don’t think it is a skill, rather I think the people that are the most outspoken about it are most likely the same people that LMB’d indiscriminately at anything that moves and did that well before customization came into play.

If you think there is a reason that doesn’t have to do with colorblindness because again, it’s not a factor here, please share your thoughts.

• @Sidewinder:

Like some people are “better” at knowing the difference between yellow or brown?

Women are too good at this, not fair on us men, please remove colours.

• What’s the purpose of this thread? How does it make a difference if it’s a “skill” or not. All I know is that there certainly isn’t much skill involved in picking outfits that match closest to your enemies.

Moreover, why do you care if someone has the option to disable customization client-side? You’re mad that people don’t like something you do? You’re mad people have differing opinions? What is it?

And we’ve had this discussion before. There’s no need to regurgitate it here.

• I assume this is a troll thread, right?

• @NabsterHax:

What’s the purpose of this thread? How does it make a difference if it’s a “skill” or not. All I know is that there certainly isn’t much skill involved in picking outfits that match closest to your enemies.

Moreover, why do you care if someone has the option to disable customization client-side? You’re mad that people don’t like something you do? You’re mad people have differing opinions? What is it?

And we’ve had this discussion before. There’s no need to regurgitate it here.

Didn’t even talk about an option to disable customization client-side. Stay on topic. Don’t bring your, “I’m right about everything, nobody else’s opinion matters” mentality into this thread please.

• knowing the difference between colors a skill?

• Here’s a funny thing: https://xkcd.com/1080/ vision is weirder than you could possibly imagine.

You’re making the counter argument out to be ‘I’m too dumb to tell blue from red or black or brown’ when really it’s a lot more complex than that. What we’re talking about is the visual confusion of having all of that on screen at once. Plus trim/crest and helmet colours, 10 - 20 guys, moving around at speed trying to kill each other. To mistake someone, out of the corner of your eye, for foe or friend is absolutely likely.

All your arguments for silhouette and other cues rather fall down at the vanguard, who (optional) helmet aside is the exact same model. It just so happens, the vanguard is rather popular, often making up half of all players on a server. When one had a quad white/blue pattern and the other was flat red they looked rather distinct, even burned up or covered in blood. But not now.

Now it so happens I quite like the confusion, I could do without some of the weirder neon excesses but overall it’s made the game a bit more interesting and I don’t want some people to have the option to avoid it. But pretending nothing has changed, when it clearly has, isn’t helpful.

• I’ve thus far had enough trouble from teammates attacking me furiously, and perhaps me doing the same to them, to want something done to mitigate it - and I have faith it will be done.

Target switching can be quite difficult with big colour variations in an intense melee. #theend.

• @Sidewinder:

Don’t bring your, “I’m right about everything, nobody else’s opinion matters” mentality into this thread please.

Excuse me?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16575&p=174097#p174074 :
    @Sidewinder:

People that have trouble distinguishing colors are either blind or deficient.

and from reddit:
    @Sidewinder:

It isn’t hard whatsoever to distinguish one from another…
    I learned how to differentiate colors in kindergarten or earlier I think because I haven’t had a single fucking problem lol.

• @Josh:

@Sidewinder:

Like some people are “better” at knowing the difference between yellow or brown?

Women are too good at this, not fair on us men, please remove colours.

You sir have made me laugh out loud!

• So no one knows the answer to why some people don’t have a problem with customization at all? I truly don’t and I have to assume it is a basic human function.

• So much anger :D

• I mean - my post doesnt look angry, at all. Its just pointing out that you… are a cunt. :P. Its perfectly possible to point that out without being angry, in fact - probably far more legitimate that way.

So yeah. Enjoy being a prick, I guess. Seriously, some of the stuff you’ve been writing about the colour thing is genuinely embarrassing. But we’ll leave it there. You’ll never understand my perspective, and thats fine.

• Sidewinder - the Warrior Defender of Customization.

• Please stop arguing about customization. You’re both right (sidewinder and nabsterhax). Now…

• I think there is an effect that isn’t directly related to colour, its the brains ability to track multiple targets. How many independent objects a person can track you might call a skill.

When one player is running its easy enough to distinguish the team, the problem is when there are several players mobbed together, like what happens in team objective maps. Having two distinct team colours made it possible to instantly distinguish who is who without having to focus your attention to any one player. Now with multiple colours I find that easier to mistakenly identify someone in a crowd of swarming players, and also to keep track of whats going. This is much worse depending on lighting, health, fire etc….

Now I am going to guess (only a guess) that object tracking becomes harder if there are multiple colours involved. You might have it straight within your head which colours are which team, but suppose you turn to view a group of 8 players fighting, I would think it takes longer for your brain to work out whats going on if there are more than 2 colours.

• the colors get you sometimes in the game when you’re running around target switching, i can see that totally. If sidewinder doesn’t have a problem then fine. i haven’t had MUCH issue, but i’ve teamkilled a couple folks just out of confusion in the heat of battle. Sure if you’re just trotting along… and not fighitng anyone, you should be able to tell who is your team and who isn’t, but there are some discrepancies with some of the colors and sometimes it gets a little confusing. It also really depends on what map you are on… the dark blues look black sometimes which can be seen as a mason by some, the fact that green is a color option for mason doesn’t make sense to me, i got thrown off a few times and chased a green-ish archer, then i saw his helmet and felt stupid… etc, etc…

• @clayton-bigsby:

the colors get you sometimes in the game when you’re running around target switching, i can see that totally. If sidewinder doesn’t have a problem then fine. i haven’t had MUCH issue, but i’ve teamkilled a couple folks just out of confusion in the heat of battle. Sure if you’re just trotting along… and not fighitng anyone, you should be able to tell who is your team and who isn’t, but there are some discrepancies with some of the colors and sometimes it gets a little confusing. It also really depends on what map you are on… the dark blues look black sometimes which can be seen as a mason by some, the fact that green is a color option for mason doesn’t make sense to me, i got thrown off a few times and chased a green-ish archer, then i saw his helmet and felt stupid… etc, etc…

Do you think this is something that would improve with time?

• As i understand it colour identification is something that can improve with practice (anecdote: grandfather was a painter, had insane colour matching and mixing abilities), so slips roughly into a working definition of ‘skill’ which has some expression in ability to distinguish targets. I’m also aware of a few cross cultural visual cue studies which suggested people from certain cultures interpreted colours differently (e.g dimmer colour’s relationship with perception of distance), which is not so much skill as upbringing and unconscious perception. This argument can very easily get bogged in semantics.

No, I would not agree that every human being has equal ability to recognise and distinguish colour, that’s a pretty difficult point to support. I think what you’re getting at Sidewinder is that individual differences in the ability to recognise and distinguish colour should not be enough on its own to complete jeopardise friend/foe distinctions in the game, as some people are arguing.

• I think what everyone’s misunderstanding here is the relative property of color. That is to say- we perceive a color based on what’s around it. It’s why a lot of times painters begin a painting by first ridding themselves of the white canvas for a mid-tone- it helps them better judge their color/value relationships much more accurately than doing so against a white canvas (as white is the highest end of the value spectrum you can achieve, all colors 50% black and lower on the value scale will look much darker than they should etc.)

This example works well with what I’m about to describe. If you have a dark blue coat with white trim and a black coat with white trim, most of the time they’re going to look the same, or at least the player will require more time to pause and determine what color he/she is seeing. However if you had two guys from each team with those respective colors standing next to each other you would be able to determine the difference in a heartbeat. This works for the other off colors (browns and golds) of the other teams as well, especially when you factor in the MaA vest is still ALWAYS brown.

I’m also completely and totally screwed when it comes to guys who have been burned by flame, or doused in oil now. I think my brain can’t handle it :).