• Thoughts on:

Art
    Layout
    Flow
    Fairness
    Size
    etc…

Also Bugs and Personal thoughts.

• My first thought was that this was a much more complete map than some of the previous maps we’ve been testing. Obviously you already had a lot of the medieval assets, but from the look of it I’m guessing this may be a derivative of the siege TO map that was originally planned for Chivalry: MW?

In any case it ticks all the boxes for Art, Layout, Flow, Fairness and Size.

The trees on one side near the spawn have weird collision though; it looks like you should be able to walk between them but invisible walls block you.

What are the big blocks in the river placeholders for?

Also it would be cool if you added a Volume around the water that forced players to move at a walk (I think it’s “Force Pawn Walk” in the volume properties) not an insta-death to go into the water but a reason to use the bridges.

• Make the siege towers movable.

=best map ever.

• Awesome awesome. I love the theme, the general color scheme. A soft but bright palette. Works great. It feels like a bloody sunset on the merge of epic battle. And the castle in the distance from the Samurai’s side, it looks great. Big impact when you see that the first time.

The middle river is interesting. Perhaps increase the flow of water so when you step in it you’re slowed down. There should be an advantage for using the bridge with the flag, will also funnel people a bit more into that area. This isn’t critical though, since the map isn’t huge. The flow in general should be good.

• @Dr:

My first thought was that this was a much more complete map than some of the previous maps we’ve been testing. Obviously you already had a lot of the medieval assets, but from the look of it I’m guessing this may be a derivative of the siege TO map that was originally planned for Chivalry: MW?

In any case it ticks all the boxes for Art, Layout, Flow, Fairness and Size.

The trees on one side near the spawn have weird collision though; it looks like you should be able to walk between them but invisible walls block you.

What are the big blocks in the river placeholders for?

Also it would be cool if you added a Volume around the water that forced players to move at a walk (I think it’s “Force Pawn Walk” in the volume properties) not an insta-death to go into the water but a reason to use the bridges.

The tree collision is placeholder. Eventually there will be rocks, dirt, debris mixed in there. More obvious blockers.

• @Andrew:

The tree collision is placeholder. Eventually there will be rocks, dirt, debris mixed in there. More obvious blockers.

Always need more rocks. A certain someone needs to earn his keep 'round here. ;)

Also, Andrew you’re not located in PA anymore. Fix that you! :P

• The drawbridge is awesome!
    Now I spent most my testing time trying to get to the top of the bridge so I don’t have much else then first impressions here but here we go.

Art
    Epic sunset, grand castle, large battlefield… what else could one ask for?

Layout
    Spent to much time at bridge, so not sure yet.

Flow
    Bridge…

Fairness
    That bridge was really entertaining.

So about the bridge, is there an invisible wall near the top? none of us could make it.
    Or are our skills just that inferior?

• @King:

The drawbridge is awesome!
    Now I spent most my testing time trying to get to the top of the bridge so I don’t have much else then first impressions here but here we go.

Art
    Epic sunset, grand castle, large battlefield… what else could one ask for?

Layout
    Spent to much time at bridge, so not sure yet.

Flow
    Bridge…

Fairness
    That bridge was really entertaining.

So about the bridge, is there an invisible wall near the top? none of us could make it.
    Or are our skills just that inferior?

Yes. There are several checks to stop people from doing that. By all means, try to break it though. Was it crushing people reliably? Hadn’t mass tested it before.

• It’s a beautiful map, especially on the castle side - that thing is intimidating. Currently siege side feels too open to me and could use some scattered large trees and other landmarks to break up the expanses of open field. Do you have any large deciduous trees, like oaks? I think some of those would make the map more unique. As it is, it’s reminiscent of Battlegrounds, like a clear day version.

The hedges at castle look unnatural to me because the extra leaves attached to them don’t get shadows/lighting. Makes them stand out; look out of place.

I think the map will be a bit too spread out with less than 32 players on-field unless there is a specific objective for players to converge on. The distances and side paths will encourage wide flanks and slow things down, much like CMW Battlegrounds. I guess that wouldn’t be too bad since when you’re mid-map you can pretty much see all of the avenues, but my favorite fights have always been when two teams are funneled and forced into large-scale confrontation.

• Thoughts on:

Art
    Looks great, I love medieval knight like themes. But it feels like its missing something. Maybe some rain\lightning\thunder?

Layout
    The layout seems really cool, you get to attack the castle or run out of a castle. Then the draw bridge looks like a fun place to fight. However you can just run around the draw bridge, really defeats the purpose of having a draw bridge. I know this game is not supposed to be a mega accurate portrayal of castles but that’s the first thing i noticed.

Flow
    Has a good flow and a great cue on which direction to go. If you spawn in the castle, run away from the castle, if you spawn in the field run to the castle. Very simple and fun.

Fairness
    Someone probably has a advantage since the spawn areas are so different but whatever small advantage it might be at the moment I believe it is outweighed by the fun.

Size
    Its big but easy to navigate. I really like the map.

Someone else mentioned it, movable siege weapons?

• @Andrew:

Yes. There are several checks to stop people from doing that. By all means, try to break it though. Was it crushing people reliably? Hadn’t mass tested it before.

We tried about a few dozen raises at least. The only thing we were able to do is drop off the bridge at around the 45 degree point onto those stone column/pillar things next to it. There’s a shelf on those that could be stood on.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

@Andrew:

We tried about a few dozen raises at least. The only thing we were able to do is drop off the bridge at around the 45 degree point onto those stone column/pillar things next to it. There’s a shelf on those that could be stood on.

Ah. Noted.

• Love this one, obviously a lot more complete than the others so I can certainly say the art is wonderful- epic looking castle and sunny atmosphere.

Very much enjoyed Plant The Flag on it, the map layout works nicely with flag-like objectives.
    TDM kinda seems to revolve around the drawbridge, I know we were obviously mostly messing about on it a lot trying to get on top of the castle (couldn’t- fix bug plz lol) but it seems like most fighting would take place there anyway because castle spawners have gotta wait for it to lower to cross or the fence is gonna be in the way unless you take the longer trip around it.

REALLY could see this being a TO map though…. battering ram up to the gate>killing things inside the castle grounds. C’mon now! :D

Also that catapult boulder sound seems especially epic and mean on this map- apocalypse boulders incoming! Love it!

Kinda wish it was a proper TO siege map in vanilla CMW with access to the higher walls where the ballistas are. EPIC! 8-)

• This map has a working drawbridge that is powered by a maul.
    That’s pretty much all we need and nothing about it should ever change.

Edits:

Art
    Looks good. The castle is pretty fantastic looking. Nice entry area for what is currently the spartan spawn.

Layout
    Doesn’t really get much simpler than this.

Flow
    See above.

Fairness
    I got the feeling that it was easier to cap the flag over by the samurai spawn.

Size
    Good size. This will be the Moor of DW. ;)

Bugs
    It’s not possible to get onto the lip of the drawbridge and ride it all the way to the top of the castle. You fall off right when it is at about 70 or 80 degrees. Please fix this.

Other thoughts
    This map needs some ballistas, maybe. That’d be fun. Maybe some destructible cata targets? Also, add drawbridges to every map ever made.

• Mod

Hiya. So I finally tested this too! :D

I think its very nice. I like the layout mix between battlegrounds and moor here.
    The only real issue I have with the map is that on the tent side you come into the river and there is a wooden structure that is set on fire, which you can go through.

But cannot climb over.
    I think you should add a small ramp that would allow this as that point is an excellent archer vantage which is also very obvious so im seeing both archers and archer hunters enjoying that portion.

I was on my own so I couldn’t test out many other features if there are any, hopefully I could do that in the test tomorrow.

• That burning structure is a siege tower that fell over. And it doesn’t have any wheels.

• @lemonater47:

That burning structure is a siege tower that fell over. And it doesn’t have any wheels.

I really like how you can hardy see a thing due to all the smoke and fire.
    It would be interesting to see a whole burning building done in this fashion.

• Art: Pretty, I would like to see more signs of battle though. Torn flags, discarded weapons/shields, burning siege engines, etc.

Layout: Easy, I like it. Run straight and kill people.

Fairness: Hard to say, I wasn’t sure of the exact spawn locations but it seemed pretty fair.

Size: Very nice size.

Other Thoughts: Love the bridges, it would be awesome if you were forced to use them more.

• I love how you can catapult everyone to death in this map. (new sounds are awesome by the way)

For plant the flag, the samurai cap point is a bit confusing with out being able to run through the trees from the back.
    The placement of the point makes sense but the HUD mark for the point seems a bit misguiding.

I think it was Radiant and I that both ran to the very back looking for the cap point like confused little puppy’s :(

• Art: Superior forest art is commendable! I just love Chivalry’s medieval European look. Easily the most complete of the maps thus far, but obviously so because of some reusable assets.

Layout: Like Moor, but with larger hills. Simple and clean combat, which is my favorite. Especially towards the top of Blue hill, that fortress is just neat. Catapults are in a great spot for covering the entire map.

Flow: Straight forward, can’t get lost or go wrong with it. Everyone charges the middle, and the victors grab the flag to make a push.

Fairness: Two sides, two hills, one flag in the middle. Can’t get any more fair than that. :D

Size: A respectable size, not large enough to create any issues.

Other thoughts: Draw bridge! Provided far too much entertainment value for what it is. I was determined to stand on it when it was completely vertical. Though it is in a spot that would be considered pointless, unless the moat were filled and there was some kind of objective in the fortress it guarded, with a way of forcing the bridge to lower // alternative path that was less than optimal, but necessary to pass through into the keep.

Though by making players on blue spawn behind the bridge, other players can troll with the bridge. Just a thought.