Making the archer class (bows) more realistic.

• Hello, this is my first post here. I have only been playing Chivalry for around a week, and have only played the archer class, with bow. I have gotten the 125 kills to get the Warbow, so I have played a bit in the week. I have found a few things that are really irritating to me with playing the archer though, that are just far from being realistic.

1. Arrows are not always notched. After loosing an arrow, the first thing an archer would do in real life is notch another arrow. Not when he wants to firing another one. And especially would not un-notch the arrow after cancelling the shot and having to notch another when wanting to fire. (One thing that also really annoys me is that when you jump, it shows you have an arrow notched.)

2. Ammo consumption on cancelled shots. When raising your bow and notching an arrow to shoot you may decide to cancel your shot (hit q by default) and lowing your bow (which also un-notches the arrow!!!). But this causes you to lose that arrow and losing one ammo. I just don’t think you would decide “Well I didn’t want to take that shot, so I’ll just drop this arrow.” And also, like #1, the arrow shouldn’t un-notch.

3. Getting hit while having your bow raised to take a shot and un-notching the arrow. Really this is a continuation on #1: when you get hit, you would not have a reaction to un-notch the arrow; but yes you would lower your bow.

One thing I feel is really fair is the amount of ammo you receive with each bow, I think this was really well done.

These were some key points that were really bugging me with my week of playing archer in Chivalry. Please comment on these thoughts or maybe state some new suggestions.

• 25+75=100 in my book.

1. So an auto reload? That would be annoying. If you want to its another you just let to and hold it down really fast. And yes you can do it while in arrow cam. When did a person turn into a robot machine gun of an archer and just reload all the time. I think he “decides” when to reload.

2. Bug not a feature.

3. You are right you wouldn’t un-nock (nock not notch) the arrow when you got hit by something in real life. You would probably drop the damn thing on the ground and the bow as well while screaming in pain. Yeah they should do that.

• @lemonater47:

1. So an auto reload? That would be annoying. If you want to its another you just let to and hold it down really fast. And yes you can do it while in arrow cam. When did a person turn into a robot machine gun of an archer and just reload all the time. I think he “decides” when to reload.

I think what OP meant, and what I think would be nice, is a system similar to the crossbow. The crossbow has three states: lowered, raised, and shooting. I don’t think it would be like an auto-reload if archers would press a key to nock an arrow and walk slowly like with a crossbow raised, and un-nock it to walk/run. The bow would have three states like the crossbow:

Un-nocked, lowered (walk, run full speed)
    Ready, Primary Attack? ?Ready, Cancel Action
    Nocked (walk) only
    Primary Attack? ?Cancel Action
    Pulling/releasing

Something like the that. By default, like the crossbow, after firing an arrow, the bow would return to a nocked position. The archer could fire again, but would be limited in speed. He would un-nock it to move full speed, and nock it again to be ready to shoot.

• @lemonater47:

25+75=100 in my book.

Ah woops, I guess I wasn’t paying too much attention, thought to unlock the 2nd bow was 25 and the 3rd was 100. Oh well.

@lemonater47:

2. Bug not a feature.

Oh, I was not aware this was a bug. I would then assume they are aware of this and have plans to fix this.

@lemonater47:

3. You are right you wouldn’t un-nock (nock not notch) the arrow when you got hit by something in real life. You would probably drop the damn thing on the ground and the bow as well while screaming in pain. Yeah they should do that.

Haha, very true. But if you would drop the bow on hit, everyone would drop weapons on hit; although it would be extremely realistic, it would basically make the whole game a one-hit-kill, even with a dagger.
    This was more a suggestion to the event of being hit that would match the implementation of being able to manually nock your arrow with out having to fire / saving it for when you want to fire.

@osta2501:

@lemonater47:

I think what OP meant, and what I think would be nice, is a system similar to the crossbow. The crossbow has three states: lowered, raised, and shooting. I don’t think it would be like an auto-reload if archers would press a key to nock an arrow and walk slowly like with a crossbow raised, and un-nock it to walk/run. The bow would have three states like the crossbow:

Un-nocked, lowered (walk, run full speed)
    Ready, Primary Attack? ?Ready, Cancel Action
    Nocked (walk) only
    Primary Attack? ?Cancel Action
    Pulling/releasing

Something like the that. By default, like the crossbow, after firing an arrow, the bow would return to a nocked position. The archer could fire again, but would be limited in speed. He would un-nock it to move full speed, and nock it again to be ready to shoot.

Yes this is more so what I meant. After firing an arrow, you should have the option (like pressing ‘r’ with a xbow to reload) to /nock/ another arrow, which probably would slow you down and wouldn’t allow you to run, but you would also be able to nock and fire an arrow as you do now by just left-clicking, nocking the arrow as you want to fire; but it still wouldn’t un-nock as you cancel the shot. I think if this were implemented, one would also like a way to manually un-nock the arrow to be able to sprint again; even if it was just as simple as switching weapons, perhaps. Having it this way wouldn’t make it so you could rapid fire any faster (successive shots after another) but it does allow for quicker firing when stalking.