Latest Patch performance on large servers

• Hi,

My clan run two of the most consistently populated servers in Europe - a 50 slot server and a 64 slot server.

Aside from some of the grumbles regarding customisation colour, We seem to be having reports that the recent patch has made the larger capacity servers considerbly more laggy - from a logical view having a load of players swinging in a small area is intensive enough on client resources but now they have to deal with tracking the character customisations too.

These complaints have come from a number of sources with a variety of setups. Server side cpu/mem usage looks around what it’s always been.

I’d therefore support the suggestions on other threads about disabling customisations, however I’d like to see this perhaps as a server side setting. At the moment we’re faced with options of continuing with the patch and suffering worse lag or scaling back the number of slots on our two popular public servers so that peoples machines can cope.

Opinions?

thx,

MonkeyFiend

(ps 64 slot server is currently down, but will be back… soon ™)

• @MonkeyFiend:

Hi,

My clan run two of the most consistently populated servers in Europe - a 50 slot server and a 64 slot server.

Aside from some of the grumbles regarding customisation colour, We seem to be having reports that the recent patch has made the larger capacity servers considerbly more laggy - from a logical view having a load of players swinging in a small area is intensive enough on client resources but now they have to deal with tracking the character customisations too.

These complaints have come from a number of sources with a variety of setups. Server side cpu/mem usage looks around what it’s always been.

I’d therefore support the suggestions on other threads about disabling customisations, however I’d like to see this perhaps as a server side setting. At the moment we’re faced with options of continuing with the patch and suffering worse lag or scaling back the number of slots on our two popular public servers so that peoples machines can cope.

Opinions?

thx,

MonkeyFiend

(ps 64 slot server is currently down, but will be back… soon ™)

Wouldn’t those slots be filled by people with better computers? Logically the people with computers that couldn’t handle the load would leave, and people who could would stay, and over the course of a day or two, only people with better computers would be joining?

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have server side customization options, but I don’t really agree with your argument.

• @?B:

Wouldn’t those slots be filled by people with better computers? Logically the people with computers that couldn’t handle the load would leave, and people who could would stay, and over the course of a day or two, only people with better computers would be joining?

I’m not saying you shouldn’t have server side customization options, but I don’t really agree with your argument.

Yeah my PC is good enough that I can stay at 40 fps in crowded fights on 64 player servers, and I don’t mind the ping of 100 all that much (it’s usually 16-40 on lower pop servers) because 64p servers are big clusterfucks anyways.

• Your terrible servers stealing the player base into terrible games could just made into good servers instead.

• I don’t know how much customization is actually affecting server performance but I agree their should be a server-side option to disable customization for their server. There are some people that would occupy your server just for providing that.

Sounds like a win win option for TBS honestly.

• @?B:

From the client perspective, the effects of client side additional processing are more noticeable on larger servers like mine. A dual server for example typically smaller, has much less to render on the client side compared to say one of my 64 slot server with a huddle of 30 players in close proximity wildly swinging the way pubbies do :P

Much the same as an old clanmate of mine could happily play bf3 16 player squad-DM but lagged massively on the larger 32 slot maps.

So in that respect the average player won’t assume it’s their client unable to cope, but instead blame the server, in the usual charming way pubbies do.

It’s basically about sacrificing some of the bells and whistles of customisation in favour of larger more chaotic servers. making this setting server side would allow this to happen without relying on the average players to figure out the cause of their lag (which frankly 90% wouldn’t)

• @SFJake:

Your terrible servers stealing the player base into terrible games could just made into good servers instead.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread, from what I imagine is your own extensive history of operating servers.

Many people, myself included, actually like large chaotic servers, even if you can’t handle them :)

• I think its more to do with the patch changing graphics settings and changing any file edits to default again.

Customisation wouldn’t have anything to do it. When has gold or brown ever been more resource intensive than blue or red.

I mean come on people. Further your logical thinking beyond the fact that “the patch added customisation so it must be the that”. You then need the “how” part. Not just the “what” part.

• @lemonater47:

I think its more to do with the patch changing graphics settings and changing any file edits to default again.

Customisation wouldn’t have anything to do it. When has gold or brown ever been more resource intensive than blue or red.

I mean come on people. Further your logical thinking beyond the fact that “the patch added customisation so it must be the that”. You then need the “how” part. Not just the “what” part.

pre-patch the client had to process 4 styles (knight/maa/archer/van) of player in 2 colours, give or take a couple of helmets so essentially every knight or maa looked the same, the models were re-used.

Post patch every player has a variety of colours, costume style, helmets etc

This means in clients have to render a lot more. As mentioned above this client side rendering is much worse when you’ve got a large collection of people in front of you (such as with the 50-64 slot servers) compared to small servers where there are less players to render and are often further spaced out.

Users then blame this poor performance on the server, when in fact it’s their clients struggling to render 64 customised models battling in front of them

• @MonkeyFiend:

@lemonater47:

I think its more to do with the patch changing graphics settings and changing any file edits to default again.

pre-patch the client had to process 4 styles (knight/maa/archer/van) of player in 2 colours, give or take a couple of helmets so essentially every knight or maa looked the same, the models were re-used.

Post patch every player has a variety of colours, costume style, helmets etc

This means in clients have to render a lot more. As mentioned above this client side rendering is much worse when you’ve got a large collection of people in front of you (such as with the 50-64 slot servers) compared to small servers where there are less players to render and are often further spaced out.

Users then blame this poor performance on the server, when in fact it’s their clients struggling to render 64 customised models battling in front of them

Games render characters individually. If things were your way and we didn’t have customisation we could have 1000 players no problem.

It doesn’t matter if they are clones or not. It still take as many resources to render each person.