Man at Arms

• Are just silly at the moment, did you really have to add dodge during flinch again? Wasnt the class overpowered enough already, especially in 1v1. Try to go as knight and duel an equally skilled man at arms, its not possible. I know that most of the experienced maas themselves agree on this point. Something needs to be done about the class and fast, cause this is ridicoulus as mentioned before.

• inb4 get good, adapt son and promod is shit.

• @Dubjay:

inb4 get good, adapt son and promod is shit.

Haha yep, but I cant stand this anymore. Had to make a post.

• Nah was just saying those things before any american would enter the thread.

• Oh look, another MAA hate thread.

I hope you do realize that MAA generally are the soft-counter class to Knights?

The circle is something along the lines of “Archer>Vanguard>MAA>Knight>Archer.”

Someone presented that in another thread and I had to generally agree.

Don’t forget, game is not balanced around duels.

Also, stun dodge bug is back, so they definitely need to fix that.

• @Dubjay:

Nah was just saying those things before any american would enter the thread.

Hi, I’m American and I agree MaAs are absurdly OP. I have 1300 hours, and have played since closed beta.

Knight vs MaA is extremely difficult, and it requires a lot of patience. Knights are supposed to be the most defensive class in the game but MaAs with the removal of forward chase mechanic and combo feint to parry, then adding in recovery parry makes MaAs by far the most defensive class.

Any time an MaA loses to a knight, it’s only because the MaA made mistakes. There is absolutely no strategy or skill that a knight can perform to have any sort of “equal ground” against an MaA. An MaA who hit trades is a bad MaA. An MaA who takes any hits or damage at all from a knight is a bad MaA.

The greatest tip I can give you though is to be very patient against them. Do not swing out of range. Do not combo against them unless you’re sure you can force them to parry it. Be extremely careful of feinting an MaA. Do not let them regain stamina as much as you can. Treat MaA completely differently than you treat any other class in the game. If you’re carrying a slow, heavy primary such as the maul, try to carry a fast, long reach secondary like the broadsword or morning star specifically for MaAs. Pre-patch this wasn’t the way to go because switching to your secondary just made knights a slower version of an MaA who can’t dodge but with a little more health. Post-patch, you’re really not going to land any hits on an MaA who isn’t trash with your maul or grand mace.

Be patient against them. Often that will mean their team mates will come help them out and you die to a 1vs8 since you can’t combo feint to parry or dance them like you used to, and your longsword was unjustly nerfed.

Or just play archer or MaA your self.

• @SOC:

@Dubjay:

Hi, I’m American and I agree MaAs are absurdly OP. I have 1300 hours, and have played since closed beta.

Alright hi, likewise but with 300 more hours. Although I was directing it mostly towards nova, so nothing against you american, I like americans!

• @SOC:

@Dubjay:

Knight vs MaA is extremely difficult, and it requires a lot of patience. Knights are supposed to be the most defensive class in the game but MaAs with the removal of forward chase mechanic and combo feint to parry, then adding in recovery parry makes MaAs by far the most defensive class.

Any time an MaA loses to a knight, it’s only because the MaA made mistakes. There is absolutely no strategy or skill that a knight can perform to have any sort of “equal ground” against an MaA. An MaA who hit trades is a bad MaA. An MaA who takes any hits or damage at all from a knight is a bad MaA.

The greatest tip I can give you though is to be very patient against them. Do not swing out of range. Do not combo against them unless you’re sure you can force them to parry it. Be extremely careful of feinting an MaA. Do not let them regain stamina as much as you can. Treat MaA completely differently than you treat any other class in the game. If you’re carrying a slow, heavy primary such as the maul, try to carry a fast, long reach secondary like the broadsword or morning star specifically for MaAs. Pre-patch this wasn’t the way to go because switching to your secondary just made knights a slower version of an MaA who can’t dodge but with a little more health. Post-patch, you’re really not going to land any hits on an MaA who isn’t trash with your maul or grand mace.

Be patient against them. Often that will mean their team mates will come help them out and you die to a 1vs8 since you can’t combo feint to parry or dance them like you used to, and your longsword was unjustly nerfed.

Or just play archer or MaA your self.

Yep, I agree with everything. And yes you have to be patient but as you said; you dont have time to be patient with an opponent in the heat of battle. Maa:s where good as they were pre-patch, I myself have several hundred hours played only as maa. Now I havent been playing maa since like back in april (been away over summer) but I can still join a server as maa and beat most of the players easely (that says alot about the class).

• http://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ

Another whine about OP MaA?….

“An MaA who hit trades is a bad MaA. An MaA who takes any hits or damage at all from a knight is a bad MaA.”

If he is good enough to not get hit, should he not win? lol

• @NoVaLombardia:

Please bear in mind that I only have ~250 hours under my belt, but I find that it takes a vanguard with considerably more talent, who is actually using all of that talent, to give me a really hard time when I’m playing MAA. That isn’t me boasting, it’s just that in my experience I have little trouble against vanguards of equal rank and skill. (Maybe part of it is that I pub, so like 50% or more of the people I fight are vanguards, and I’m just used to them, but still…)

This wasn’t always the case: I used to have the most trouble with vanguards when I first started; but once I got the hang of a few basic tricks (riposte, mostly, and later the addition of alt swings) I found that I had more tools than they did.

Similarly, I feel like I have an easier time with most archers than knights. Maybe at higher tiers the extra armor and bigger shields are more useful than speed, but at my rank I find it easiest to deal with archers as a MAA.

• MaA are OP in 1v1. They were in CU1P2 and they are now. I don’t see this as a problem, personally.

MaA has great 1v1 abilities - that’s one of his roles. I don’t know why everyone thinks 1v1 equality is so important, especially when it causes sacrifices their abilities in team play and fun factor.

The game isn’t all about 1v1s. 1v1s can be fun, and it’s easy to set up custom rules when playing against friends as long as you aren’t playing the “proper” duel mode. Why shouldn’t MaA be able to best other classes in 1v1 during a team game? Usually it’s not a simple case where you both have full health and stamina.

• It is generally agreed that maa is the best 1 on 1 class. Even vs vanguard that can one hit ko them since maa can just land a stab after blocking much slower weapons. Also point blank stabs with one handed are ridicilous now.
    I do agree with almost everything in this post, expect I don’t get how removing forward chasing mechanic did anything against knights defenses. It gave them good offense and removing forward chase mechanic was one of the best things.
    Yet I don’t think maa should get much of a nerf as a class and instead they should work on one handed so that broad sword stab not going to land so easily after blocking vanguards weapon at it’s full length.

• Remove MAA.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Remove MAA.

Best reply so far Rumpel ;)

• I used to hate MAA. Not because of their abilities but because of their bugs (as in 90% of that game). BUT since the last patch and even though many issues remain, I think their not OP anymore. Of course, skilled MAA users will still be hard to beat but that’s the same for each Class when you fight against people mastering it. Guess what ? I start playing MAA and I have a lot of fun trying to dodge and burning guys with the Oil Pot. Just try to play that Class to understand it. And you’ll see by yourself ! =)

• @stickytape:

@NoVaLombardia:

Please bear in mind that I only have ~250 hours under my belt, but I find that it takes a vanguard with considerably more talent, who is actually using all of that talent, to give me a really hard time when I’m playing MAA. That isn’t me boasting, it’s just that in my experience I have little trouble against vanguards of equal rank and skill. (Maybe part of it is that I pub, so like 50% or more of the people I fight are vanguards, and I’m just used to them, but still…)

This wasn’t always the case: I used to have the most trouble with vanguards when I first started; but once I got the hang of a few basic tricks (riposte, mostly, and later the addition of alt swings) I found that I had more tools than they did.

Similarly, I feel like I have an easier time with most archers than knights. Maybe at higher tiers the extra armor and bigger shields are more useful than speed, but at my rank I find it easiest to deal with archers as a MAA.

I think once you start fighting good pole-arm / spear vanguards you’ll start to see the difference. Those weapons can fully exploit the range advantage between the two classes. Even greatsword can give a lot of trouble, depending on the vanguard. Even a good greatsword user can be tricky. Don’t forget about claymore either.

I haven’t done much dueling in the latest patch, but I’m assuming the knockback nerf wasn’t too much.

• @Junanagou:

I used to hate MAA. Not because of their abilities but because of their bugs (as in 90% of that game). BUT since the last patch and even though many issues remain, I think their not OP anymore. Of course, skilled MAA users will still be hard to beat but that’s the same for each Class when you fight against people mastering it. Guess what ? I start playing MAA and I have a lot of fun trying to dodge and burning guys with the Oil Pot. Just try to play that Class to understand it. And you’ll see by yourself ! =)

As I said, I have been playing maa for many hundred hours. And no, for some reason the class is alot more op now than it was during pre-patch.

• @Mean:

No, for some reasons the class is alot more OP now (…)

Irrefutable argument… Can you EXPLAIN why you’re thinking this, pleaaase ?

• Knight + mace used to be really good vs MAA but then TB nurfed the range of the mace :(

• Stun dodge has me wringing my hands in anguish.