Isn't it time to expand the beta?

• Ignoring the whole smaller test groups make for better results logical fallacy, people need to be spreading the word this close to release. Youtubers are doing an incredible job so far, but I doubt that alone will be enough.

It just feels like Roses is thrashing Chivalry on the marketing front. I’d really like to know what’s being done to help secure a healthy player base?

• I’ve been telling them this for awhile, but they told me no.

As for Roses, it’s failing hard.

Steam forums - Dead

Paradox’s forums - 70% of people seemingly can’t play. Or have an issue with this or that not being balanced.

I still think Chivalry should have a open beta to all pre-order’s though. To work out all the kinks for release.

Down to the final two weeks. That’s very little time to beta test as is. Luckily, it’s the Unreal Engine 3.0, not to much can go wrong. When you pick UE 3.0, you pick a sure thing almost.

But it’d still be nice.

• @Mkilbride:

Down to the final two weeks. That’s very little time to beta test as is. Luckily, it’s the Unreal Engine 3.0, not to much can go wrong. When you pick UE 3.0, you pick a sure thing almost.

Tell that to Red Orchestra 2.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmfSVHQgNs

He’s giving out some beta keys if you want to try your luck at grabbing one of them :P

• There are full chivalry servers everyday.

• Yes, but still, no developer can possibly account for all systems with such a limited group.

And RO2 failed because the developers themselves said they released early because of fan demand.

Just saying for the smoothest possible release, should make everyone who pre-ordered have beta access.

• I’m already in the beta, in case you were questioning my intentions.

• I kinda agree, but… people did pay $50 to get in early - and while yes, they would still have gotten in earlier than those that didn’t, it sortof has the reek of false advertising when you call early access exclusive and then make the beta open/send out waves of free keys.

• The extra $15-25 was more of a thank you in my book. An option to add a bit of support for future projects, as was the intention of this and all kickstarters, with early access being a bonus.
    Besides, 2 weeks early access has been more than sufficient. At the very least, preorders should receive access.

• I think putting the 4 pack up with beta access would be fair, because that would be no different than the Kickstarter. I also think that the game needs a slow population ramp up rather than opening the floodgates all at once. I have seen many multiplayer indie games get brought down at launch by their own success.

• @Strudel:

The extra $15-25 was more of a thank you in my book. An option to add a bit of support for future projects, as was the intention of this and all kickstarters, with early access being a bonus.
    Besides, 2 weeks early access has been more than sufficient. At the very least, preorders should receive access.

In your book, yes. Not everyone will see it that way. In fact, going from my past experiences with these kinds of situations, very few people will see it that way.

Maybe for the last week before release. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. But whether they do or don’t, it’s still the devs’ call, they may have their own reasons for restricting the beta right up 'til the 16th.

@SapientWolf:

I think putting the 4 pack up with beta access would be fair, because that would be no different than the Kickstarter. I also think that the game needs a slow population ramp up rather than opening the floodgates all at once. I have seen many multiplayer indie games get brought down at launch by their own success.

I don’t think that’s likely to happen with the dedicated server setup. There are currently 25 servers each supporting 32 players - that’s 800 people playing simultaneously to fill them to capacity. And that’s just the servers provided by the server host TBS contacted. They’re handing out dedicated server files to people as of the next beta patch, so there will likely be a lot of servers on release. There’s no centralized server to overload (unless Chivalry is popular enough to crash Steam :P ), so the biggest problem that could happen with a sudden surge of players would be the current number of servers being insufficient - but if that many people were interested in the game, there would definitely be no lack of server hosts on launch day.

• Exactly why we trickle beta players in now. So that all the kinks can be worked out and on launch day it can be golden.

As for the 50$ people, yes, that was more of a “thank you”

Considering the game is 24.99$, if you paid 49.99$, you paid the price of another copy of the game.

Is it really worth making those whom paid twice as much, to have a buggy launch?

• The game is worth $50.

• @SlyGoat:

@Strudel:

The extra $15-25 was more of a thank you in my book. An option to add a bit of support for future projects, as was the intention of this and all kickstarters, with early access being a bonus.

In your book, yes. Not everyone will see it that way. In fact, going from my past experiences with these kinds of situations, very few people will see it that way.

Maybe for the last week before release. I don’t think anyone would argue against that. But whether they do or don’t, it’s still the devs’ call, they may have their own reasons for restricting the beta right up 'til the 16th.

@SapientWolf:

I think putting the 4 pack up with beta access would be fair, because that would be no different than the Kickstarter. I also think that the game needs a slow population ramp up rather than opening the floodgates all at once. I have seen many multiplayer indie games get brought down at launch by their own success.

I don’t think that’s likely to happen with the dedicated server setup. There are currently 25 servers each supporting 32 players - that’s 800 people playing simultaneously to fill them to capacity. And that’s just the servers provided by the server host TBS contacted. They’re handing out dedicated server files to people as of the next beta patch, so there will likely be a lot of servers on release. There’s no centralized server to overload (unless Chivalry is popular enough to crash Steam :P ), so the biggest problem that could happen with a sudden surge of players would be the current number of servers being insufficient - but if that many people were interested in the game, there would definitely be no lack of server hosts on launch day.

I was thinking more along the lines of a central matcmaking server for the server browser. That’s usually the first thing to go down, even in P2P games. But I don’t know how the infrastructure works for Chivalry.

As for player count… I wouldn’t be surprised to see around 2,000-4,000 simultaneous players at any time during the day for awhile after launch.

• I will pre-order right this moment if the beta opens to all. So will my friends. So much money, you could have right now, if you opened the beta to all.

“Early Access” has already been for over a week, fair enough.

• Then preorder. Or wait. We’re all playing while you wait and try to make idle threats that the devs are just going to ignore.

The game is f*cking awesome. Easily worth the money.

KILL THEM ALL!!