Archer Arrow Mechanics

• So I don’t know if this game is really going for realism or not but I just thought I’d share my points on Archery. The damage on arrows is good I will say that but the arrow speed is far too slow. I do some archery in real life and an arrow flies much faster than what it does in this game…much much faster. Also concerning headshots, I noticed if you shoot someone in the head it will knock their helmet off but I know for a fact an arrow would actually pierce that metal, especially the bodkin arrows, making it a guaranteed kill.

Aside from realism the hit detection is a bit off, many times my arrows fly straight through people without dealing damage. Now people could say it’s just latency but there should be something put in place to correct it although not something as stupid as Call of Duty does on their game releases.

This isn’t me whining or complaining it is just my insight. No flaming.

• They buffed projectile speed once.

Then everyone cried that they were OP.

Reload one and projectile speed is far slower than it is in real life. But for game balance reasons it has to be.

• Arrow speed should be faster?

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN nein.

• @lemonater47:

They buffed projectile speed once.

Reload one and projectile speed is far slower than it is in real life. But for game balance reasons it has to be.

It doesn’t seem quite that balanced though. Between arrow speed and latency you have to lead someone by a ridiculous amount. Maybe if there was a latency adjustment for the arrows it would be different. Who knows :P

• People usually take very one sided views on realism and verisimilitude in these debates.

While its true that an arrow to the head will usually kill someone with one shot, no questions asked, it’s also true that a broadsword to the leg will incapacitate someone more often than not, game balance has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with fun.

• I think that if you kill or get too close to a peasant. You should have a chance of contracting the bubonic plague.

• @FenixHero:

arrow speed is far too slow. I do some archery in real life and an arrow flies much faster than what it does in this game…much much faster.

Modern arrow speeds are in the 100-200mph range. You could easily move out of the way of a 100mph projectile at 60 feet distance irl because of how long it takes a projectile to travel 60 feet at 100mph. What are arrow speeds in Chivalry? I don’t actually know, but I can tell you it’s faster than 100mph.

I know for a fact an arrow would actually pierce that metal

I say you don’t know what kind of metal that is, you don’t know how fast arrows travel in this game, you don’t know if an arrow would pierce it.

• @dpunk:

@FenixHero:

arrow speed is far too slow. I do some archery in real life and an arrow flies much faster than what it does in this game…much much faster.

Modern arrow speeds are in the 100-200mph range. You could easily move out of the way of a 100mph projectile at 60 feet distance irl because of how long it takes a projectile to travel 60 feet at 100mph. What are arrow speeds in Chivalry? I don’t actually know, but I can tell you it’s faster than 100mph.

I know for a fact an arrow would actually pierce that metal

I say you don’t know what kind of metal that is, you don’t know how fast arrows travel in this game, you don’t know if an arrow would pierce it.

I really don’t think the arrow speed in chivalry is that fast and in real life arrows fly around 180mph or 270 feet/s. Medieval helmets were generally made out of Steel or Iron and sometimes Bronze. Bodkin arrows can pierce all 3.

• If you want realistic heavy crossbow would 1 shot anyone through their shield AND plate mail.

Is that what you want.

• The slower arrow speed counteracts the pinpoint accuracy and the absense of wind in Chivalry.

In reality projectiles hitting shields, plate armor or helmets at an angle would ricochet. And armor in Chivalry is also weaker. In fact nobody wears “real” plate armor which did protect against ranged and bladed weaponry quite nicely. Chivalry Knights use armor similar to good chainmail instead.

For my part more realism is appreciated as “breaks from reality” tend to cause unexpected issues (see polearm lookdown overheads) but this is unlikely to happen as it would change gameplay drastically and cause many things to be rebalanced.

• @lemonater47:

actually, reload time is a lot higher than in reality. xbows take far longer to reload, and bows can’t be shot at full draw and aimed anywhere near that fast.

• @Deadpan:

@lemonater47:

actually, reload time is a lot higher than in reality. xbows take far longer to reload, and bows can’t be shot at full draw and aimed anywhere near that fast.

You may be right about xbows but bows could be shot at full draw and aimed as quickly. A lot of people are able to do about 3 arrows in 6 seconds with still being quite accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

• Dude, Lars Andersen is a known speedhacker :D

God, I wish I could do that… But, I doubt he’s anchoring properly and getting a real full draw out of it. I’m not sure if his arrows are hitting with the authority that they should.

I think he’s using the thumb release, and holding arrows ready in his string hand. Something else I’ve never been fond of.

Nonetheless, it’s still impressive. There are a lot people who probably couldn’t cycle a bolt action rifle as fast as he’s shooting a bow.

• @Linniz:

If you want realistic heavy crossbow would 1 shot anyone through their shield AND plate mail.

Is that what you want.

Yes.

But in all seriousness, the projectile speed, while slower than IRL, is fine. They buffed it a second time this last patch, while it was fine after the first buff. Game balance for bows and xbows is about right now, except maybe Warbow Bodkins, but that is debatable.

• @FenixHero:

@Deadpan:

@lemonater47:

You may be right about xbows but bows could be shot at full draw and aimed as quickly. A lot of people are able to do about 3 arrows in 6 seconds with still being quite accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

that’s more of a circus trick, and not useful in battle at all.

• @MrRedshark:

I think that if you kill or get too close to a peasant. You should have a chance of contracting the bubonic plague.

And to make it balanced for game funs whilst having contracted bubonic plague you receive 100damage per second as fire damage unless your clutching your crystals or have fire resistance at 219MAX….or stand in the blue square, but if you stand in the orange triangle you take damage x5.

Yep game balance without realism is great fun.