Remove the mouse nerf?

• It just seems so ridiculous that TBS has nerfed the most important thing required to enjoy a PC game. The whole point of playing a game on the PC is for precision and immersion, and two patches ago the game allowed for just that (aside from all the other previous bugs and what not.) In my opinion it just removes from the fluidity of the game. You already reduced the hitbox sizes in the previous patch, why greatly impact that even further by nerfing the turn-speed during attacks? It just makes it seem so one dimensional; if the guy is in front of you, you have a good chance of hitting him; but if there are more behind you, you will have trouble even turning to face them. It felt so much better without this nerf and I even managed to enjoy every FFA server I joined. Now it just seems really slow and “glitchy” (for like of a better word) and not just on FFA. I implore TBS to remove it or at least improve it in the next patch/hotfix.

• No.

And this “mouse nerf” was implemented a while before you think it was.

All it does it make it fair for everyone. The turn speed for swinging I the same for everyone regardless of mouse sensitivity.

Some people can’t play at high sensitivities. So they greatly reduced the advantage you get from having a high sensitivity.

Its still very easy to mouse drag and be unpredictable.

• @lemonater47:

No.

All it does it make it fair for everyone. The turn speed for swinging I the same for everyone regardless of mouse sensitivity.

Some people can’t play at high sensitivities. So they greatly reduced the advantage you get from having a high sensitivity.

Fair enough, but at times I’ve been experiencing huge drops in sensitivity, and I prefer to have a linear sensitivity throughout the game and not have it being limited too much when im attacking. All I’m saying is that it shouldn’t have such a drastic effect as it currently does (in my eyes anyway.)

• @Luc0z:

@lemonater47:

No.

Fair enough, but at times I’ve been experiencing huge drops in sensitivity, and I prefer to have a linear sensitivity throughout the game and not have it being limited too much when im attacking. All I’m saying is that it shouldn’t have such a drastic effect as it currently does (in my eyes anyway.)

Yeah the higher the sensitivity the bigger the drop will feel.

It gives weapons a certain weighty feel to them though.

• Does this effect occur only in release or does it happen for windup too?

• @giantyak:

Does this effect occur only in release or does it happen for windup too?

I think its only release.

I’ve been using the greatsword lately. And the windup time overlaps release so I can’t really tell. Its a bug. Also means you get flinched when you aren’t suppose to. Even in charges.

• It’s meant to happen, and it happens in windup as well as release.

It was changed slightly in the balance patch to include a limit to vertical look speed on windup where there wasn’t one before. This was to stop people instantly accelerating their overheads, or doing things like looking straight down and then flicking up just before release with a draggable weapon.

I don’t think removing it would be a good idea at all. There would be nothing stopping people “helicoptering” with big swords and doing things like swinging them the wrong way. When all your swings are real time calculated, it doesn’t seem smart to let people go crazy with every swing, and would probably cause major tracer issues too.

• The feature definitely creates an imbalance between people that use different mouse sensitivity. However, I’m of the opinion that it’s needed for reasons already listed in the thread.

The only thing I currently disagree with is that the sensitivity decrease stays in effect long after release for some weapons. Some weapons keep the sensitivity decrease long after being flinched as well.

• @NabsterHax:

It’s meant to happen, and it happens in windup as well as release.

It was changed slightly in the balance patch to include a limit to vertical look speed on windup where there wasn’t one before. This was to stop people instantly accelerating their overheads, or doing things like looking straight down and then flicking up just before release with a draggable weapon.

I don’t think removing it would be a good idea at all. There would be nothing stopping people “helicoptering” with big swords and doing things like swinging them the wrong way. When all your swings are real time calculated, it doesn’t seem smart to let people go crazy with every swing, and would probably cause major tracer issues too.

But in a way I disagree with it. I know it balances the game a bit, FFA especially, but without it (or at least the way it was before) it felt alot more immersive, alot more skill based and actually alot easier to block attacks as well. Of course, the instant overheads need not be re-implemented. Not only have they prevented players from helicoptering but also blocking as well, and truth be told, all the things it was meant to fix are still present. A slight bit of unbalance, imo, is what made Chivalry the type of game it is, focusing mainly on the carnage of FFA. Yes it’s probably a bit of a meatgrind, but that’s the purpose of it is it not? A good player can fair well; a bad/low ranked player is cannon fodder, which is how it should be. Ultimately it just feels a little dumbed down in terms of larger scale fights, because I no longer find it viable to combo in FFA anymore; and to put that bluntly, it makes it a bit boring.

• there is a rare bug to were your mouse sensitivity during release goes to a crawl, hasn’t happend to me yet but i’ve had friends say they’ve had it happen… just today in fact. Seems pretty rare… kind of like how sometimes your speed used to go uncapped and you’d do like a million 360’s while swinging… same thing but the opposite. I think theres a bug in there somewhere ;)

• Removing it would make it more immersive?

People would be doing 720 LMB spins.

And yor weapon would feel weightless.

It might look cool but its not immersive.

• @lemonater47:

Removing it would make it more immersive?

People would be doing 720 LMB spins.

And yor weapon would feel weightless.

It might look cool but its not immersive.

You don’t know what I mean. I’m not insisting that TBS go absolutely crazy with it and remove it completely. I’m not saying the turning should be war of the roses style, just a bit less dynamic. The weapons would still feel weighty, at least I felt they did when this wasn’t a problem.

• Even as it is now people can swing 270 degrees and nearly to 180degree for stabs(more like 160-170 degrees).

Personally i’d like to see the stab release phase tied to 20degrees in the horizontal plane and 60degrees in the vertical plane.

• @giantyak:

Even as it is now people can swing 270 degrees and nearly to 180degree for stabs(more like 160-170 degrees).

Personally i’d like to see the stab release phase tied to 20degrees in the horizontal plane and 60degrees in the vertical plane.

That’s a silly idea. That’s further nerfing it. That would ruin the fluidity of combat.

And I play on 5 inches of mouse space. It still think its bad.

• Its not silly, its just more hardcore. I think it would increase fluidity because the dumb people would be dead faster - reason: punishable mistakes.

• I actually tried this out using the SDK. I don’t think people realise how silly it would get.

• I think it’s fine as it is. Removing it would cause every weapon to feel like a wooden stick and even turning it a bit down is not good. I can turn more than 180° while slashing or even overheading (and my sensitivity is not THAT high) and it’s totally okay.

Don’t change it. :P

• I personally think it was nerfed to much. Flipping around was loads of fun, idc about the overhead, it needed a nerf. I know helicoptering is bad but I think the horizontal got nerfed to much for my personal liking. I say personal liking because I don’t know if it would be best for the game if they buffed horizontal mousing. (increased the turn speed on release and windup too, I think it was slowed just not nearly as much) its just easier to say buff and nerf

@clayton I think its a repeatable bug iv seen very occasional high ranked players do it seemingly at will. I only see high ranked players do it(40+) and have only seen it since the last patch, like a month ago. No not the normal drag.

I made a topic about it and got yelled at lol. But I think you rem that.

• There was no turn limit on swings in early builds of the game. It was awful. Same with the predecessor mod, Age of Chivalry, where the only strategy was sprinting in circles spamming. That’s the real reason this limitation was added in the first place - with the ability to do a 180 in mid swing comes the ability to perfectly kite in melee and totally negates the advantage of smart footwork over running in circles.

• Just gonna say… PRO PC players use lower sensitivity then higher bro… If you are playing with half decent players you won’t be able to turn around to kill the guy behind you before you die :).

TIP: lower sensitivity increases accuracy.