Patch is a step in the right direction

• The latest patch is a step in the right direction…but, balance wise there is still a long ways to go. Perhaps TBS was trying to avoid putting too many changes in at once (like what happened with last patch), but the latest patch contained a disappointing number of balance changes. I sincerely hope that balance is prioritized above new content in the future.

• other than brandistock and spear slashes, balance seems to be in a decent spot atm.

• @NoVaLombardia:

other than brandistock and spear slashes, balance seems to be in a decent spot atm.

They got a sore nerf. And the normal spear slash isn’t that OP. it doesn’t do much damage.

Brandistock slash on the other hand is useful.

• @lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

other than brandistock and spear slashes, balance seems to be in a decent spot atm.

They got a sore nerf. And the normal spear slash isn’t that OP. it doesn’t do much damage.

Trust me, the Brandi is definitely toned down. It’s no longer crazy like it once was.

• @Kimiko:

@lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

Trust me, the Brandi is definitely toned down. It’s no longer crazy like it once was.

I still own with it. I just mouse drag. No nerf can stop that.

• Maul is pretty ridiculous. It got 4 massive buffs last patch. I fought someone using the maul in duel mode 3 times, each time I lost without really knowing what I could’ve done differently.

Also, I’ve seen a lot of people on these forums say claymore is just ‘a noob mower’ but I have almost 300 hours, and I have a lot of trouble parrying claymore attacks. When you factor in lag, accelerated attacks and reaction time, a lot of times I just can’t parry in time. Maybe the fact that it is a two hander throws me off, but it honestly feels faster than the broadsword.

I’ve heard a lot of people defend it because ‘it takes 4 shots to kill knights’. Well, the speed makes it much easier to connect headshots with the overhead, so I’m very frequently 3 shot by it. When 3 shots don’t kill me, I’m usually down to 1 hp, which means they can just kick or pull out their secondary for an easy kill.

• just because those people consider someone with 300h a noob :P

If your weapon allows it you should try to outrange them… most clayguards don’t have real control over their blade dance.

• @Mechapope:

Maul is pretty ridiculous. It got 4 massive buffs last patch. I fought someone using the maul in duel mode 3 times, each time I lost without really knowing what I could’ve done differently.

Also, I’ve seen a lot of people on these forums say claymore is just ‘a noob mower’ but I have almost 300 hours, and I have a lot of trouble parrying claymore attacks. When you factor in lag, accelerated attacks and reaction time, a lot of times I just can’t parry in time. Maybe the fact that it is a two hander throws me off, but it honestly feels faster than the broadsword.

I’ve heard a lot of people defend it because ‘it takes 4 shots to kill knights’. Well, the speed makes it much easier to connect headshots with the overhead, so I’m very frequently 3 shot by it. When 3 shots don’t kill me, I’m usually down to 1 hp, which means they can just kick or pull out their secondary for an easy kill.

Well, if you have trouble going 1v1 against a maul I can see why you are having problems with a claymore.

• @lemonater47:

Well, if you have trouble going 1v1 against a maul I can see why you are having problems with a claymore.

I’m certainly not the best at Chivalry, or anywhere close to it. But I am by no means bad either. Find someone who is really good with the maul and fight them. Unless they make some pretty serious mistakes, I can pretty much guarantee they will win.

• @Mechapope:

@lemonater47:

I’m certainly not the best at Chivalry, or anywhere close to it. But I am by no means bad either. Find someone who is really good with the maul and fight them. Unless they make some pretty serious mistakes, I can pretty much guarantee they will win.

I stand back and keep my distance. Once they get close they will just overhead lookdown you. Make them run out of stamina. Duck. Dodge if you are a man at arms.

They can’t afford to miss much. And you can afford to keep parrying them. So you make them run out of stamina and you have a bigger advantage.

• @Mechapope:

@lemonater47:

The most popular Maul tactic that better players utilize is one that leaves you vulnerable for huge amounts of time. The greatest strength of the maul is the pressure and fear it creates. The next time you fight someone who is “good with the maul” I’d actually advise you to NOT fight them for a bit. Just spend a few seconds only avoiding and defending and watch how they move. You’ll see what I mean. Best case scenario you might actually accidentally wear out his stamina through studying him.

• I stand back and keep my distance

They can move forward faster than I can move backward.

Make them run out of stamina

Easier said than done. A lot of the time they’ll be at a distance where I think they’ll miss, but then they drag and ends up hitting me anyways.

Duck. Dodge if you are a man at arms

Can’t duck overheads, and I play knight.

They can’t afford to miss much. And you can afford to keep parrying them.

Actually, they can afford to miss, since it takes less stamina for them to parry me because the maul is so heavy. And I certainly cannot afford to keep parrying them. Again, since the maul is so heavy, it depletes my stamina really damn quick.

• @Kimiko:

Not enough.

If you want to keep the quick horizontal on brandistock to be that fast, the damage on the horizontal really needs to be toned down.

• @Mechapope:

I stand back and keep my distance

They can move forward faster than I can move backward.
    @2uerty4a:

Make them run out of stamina

Easier said than done. A lot of the time they’ll be at a distance where I think they’ll miss, but then they drag and ends up hitting me anyways.

Duck. Dodge if you are a man at arms

Can’t duck overheads, and I play knight.

They can’t afford to miss much. And you can afford to keep parrying them.

Actually, they can afford to miss, since it takes less stamina for them to parry me because the maul is so heavy. And I certainly cannot afford to keep parrying them. Again, since the maul is so heavy, it depletes my stamina really damn quick.

Keeping your distance usually involves swinging your weapon. Either making them parry and knocking them back or preventing them from moving forward.

They will often try and attack right after you do. But if you are walking backwards and you just forced them back they will often miss.

Only ducking horizontal strikes is advised.

Mouse dragging and jump stabs/overheads work well too.

And probably switching to a secondary could help too. Never thought of doing it myself. But you can attack, get parried and attack again and flinch them.

• @lemonater47:

@lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

I still own with it. I just mouse drag. No nerf can stop that.

You kinda can if you consider the drag rate cap.

• @Mechapope:

Maul is pretty ridiculous. It got 4 massive buffs last patch. I fought someone using the maul in duel mode 3 times, each time I lost without really knowing what I could’ve done differently.

The hammer is an extreme weapon, you mostly have to overwhelm the user with quick attacks and utilize footwork or counterattack well, it’s stamina drain (for missing or blocks) is very high as well so bringing a heavy weapon to defend against the drain is helpful.

The claymore is ridiculous.