New Forum Suggestions

• While we are still in the process of fixing up our new forums, we’d still like to hear some of the things you’d like added to them, changed, removed(?), etc.

Please post your ideas here and remain on topic. No gifs or other off topic posts please. Post your serious inquiries here.

Some things we are aware of:

• Some BB tags are not working

• Spambots everywhere - Customized mods we had previously will need to be resintalled

• Options for number of posts displayed per page.

• Try to add as many options as possible for us to customise the forum to our liking, whether it be multiple skins, options in user settings to set the width of posts, posts per page, whether we see the welcome message, etc–it’s neat that by default it matches your site and all, but for consistent users whether it matches a site none of them visit regularly is an unnecessary annoyance.

Most definitely add an option for a lighter theme, dark themes are a strain on the eyes, especially when going between websites with a white background and black background (in fact, your default background shouldn’t even be black (or a slightly off black, which it is due to the noise filter or w/e that is), that’s a poor design choice, it should be a very dark tint of blue to compliment the orange, as opposed to black which theoretically drains the orange (and any other colour)) which discourages users from returning/using as regularly.

Might have more to add later when I have more time!

• What about the different coloured names of ppl so you can see their job/position in the forums? :P

Other than that I’m fine I guess…still liked the old page more.

@Tummeh:

Most definitely add an option for a lighter theme, dark themes are a strain on the eyes, especially when going between websites with a white background and black background…

Mostly because of this but also because I liked the old design way more. What about changeable designs?

PRO WEBSITE CUSTOMISATION! :P :P

• Everything bob suggested in that one thread about colors and size :3

• Add a cool background image instead of this boring ol gray :D

• @NabsterHax:

Options for number of posts displayed per page.

This, or at least change it back to 10 posts per page.

Default phpbb style as an option would be nice too.

• The new forum is easier to use now, with the all-in-one button, but i miss the “view your posts” button.

edit : i just found the “view your posts” it’s just on the right of “logout”…

• A list of things that have already been mentioned in other threads:

-Forum should get it’s own button on the chivarly main page rather than be hidden under “community”

-We need options for the orange. Orange on black looks nice but not medieval.

-Imo you should brighten up the background at least enough to get some contrast. You could consider some concept artwork as background wallpaper.

-The caution labels preceding each post are not as plain as the ones we had before and again - totally look unmedieval.

-Header and footer look totally awesome and those HRs could be used to seperate each of the body modules a bit more.

-See my signature :P

• “view your posts” feature should be obvious, not in a drop down menu from an inconspicuous down arrow in the corner. Perhaps have another theme option that is brighter. This is too dark for my tastes, makes it harder to read and feels heavier.

• Clearly fade or change color of already read topics. I know there is the icon change on the left side of the topics you have already read with no new responses, but its easier to skim through topics if the topic words or the background of the topic words changes color when viewing topics previously viewed with no new reponses.

As a new forum rule you should prohibit users from naming any hack. Hinting how to obtain hacks. Discussing how to use hacks. Inquiring or informing whether or not a hack is detected or undetected.

Publicly naming hacks only spreads the use of said hacks. Hacks and hack website usually contain viruses. People who operate said websites have been known to bait people into their websites by spamming seemingly innocent forum topics complaining about hacks making a point to specifically name hacks over and over in the topic.

Users should be encouraged to report hack information to moderators though pms, the names, functions and locations of hacks.

Suggest a free video capturing utility like bandicam in you in game hack reporting sticky.

• @Dr.Nick:

Everything bob suggested in that one thread about colors and size :3

That was my thread, it was deleted.

• Add an img hook similar to NeoGAF which resizes the image and shows the full size upon clicking (For example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649443), or make it so it resizes and opens the full resolution in a new tab - it’s annoying to constantly have to resize screenshots and such before posting, and archaic to have an image size limitation.

Also, still a lack of consistency in page sizes, which is design 101 (click for full size res if not clear):

• Thanks Tummeh. The size limitation has been made much larger, and img tags will auto scale down the images like so:

Or if you want to have the image link to it and scale, do it like so:

• In no particular order

• Remove the huge Forums header and remove the section with the large block of text that starts Welcome to our Torn Banner Forums. We are in the process of….

• Use the scrollto javascript function to scroll down to the post you clicked on so you can skip the header all together

• Add forums to the main menu at the top - assuming you want people on the forums, Contact is non intuitive to find the forums

• Obviously customize the colors like before for the admins, developers etc But also do not make the default poster orange in order to visually distinguish it from the topic title

• Row shading for alternating post rows in every table, a slightly lighter grey is fine

• View unanswered posts, View unread posts, View new posts, View active topics Mark forums read should be available on every page and add the View your posts

• Instead of a question mark icon if the person has not uploaded a picture remove it all together for a much cleaner display

• Make the youtube tag so it is not embedded, always annoying you cannot maximize what you are playing unless you click on it and jump over to youtube.com

• Quoted text colors need to have more contrast to easily see them

• In general look at unimportant links that are orange and make them a more subtle color so that the only things that are orange are links that people frequently click on. This makes the usability of the forum much better.

• Pay an artist to redo the icons for the read, unread topics etc. make them chivalry specific and make them cool

• Use the full width of the page - no reason to constrain the display

• Oh herro

I have been cruising around on the forums and noticed a real bitch of a thing. I look through forums via 1 index forum page left open and I tab the rest that I find interesting only to close the tab come back to my main index page to see that it hasn’t updated >
    Although I know you can just click refresh but i’m lazy XD and this is just a suggestion so please don’t eat me alive!

• @Lucas:

Thanks Tummeh. The size limitation has been made much larger, and img tags will auto scale down the images like so:

Or if you want to have the image link to it and scale, do it like so:

^This is my desktop background :D :D :D

• I would love to see a list of balance council suggestions. This would give the community, not just the council a way to talk about balance. I understand the need to create a concise format to aggregate data but a council of folks without any feedback seems rather silly.

• @Constant:

I would love to see a list of balance council suggestions. This would give the community, not just the council a way to talk about balance. I understand the need to create a concise format to aggregate data but a council of folks without any feedback seems rather silly.

Really? That’s like putting elementary school kids in charge of running a government. Honestly I’m amazed at the unwillingness people have to learn how to counter weapons and mechanics (that’s not to say the game is completely balanced). If new players had their way, every difficult mechanic would taken out of the game (z stabs, reverse overheads, drags, feints etc…). Why? Because a large part of the community doesn’t know any better. They think these things are hacks or exploits; I did too when I was a lower rank, then I learned.

• I would like to see a subforum for general ideas and suggestions. Right now you either spam the modding forums with ideas without getting real stuff done (SDK not being released does not help) or letting them drown in general or balance discussions.