Missing hits

• Since the last patch I have the feeling that many of my attacks go straight through my enemies and don’t hit when they visually do. I play with the brandistock, not sure if it’s a problem with all weapons. Also not sure if it’s a client or a server problem. Anyone else noticed that?

• Push. Just talked with some of my mates who noticed it as well.

• This has been way more apparent in this latest patch. Often it’s just one particular attack that doesn’t seem to ever connect, stabs or alternate swings are usually the ones I find that never register.
    It also seems to be dependent on server in my experience, exit and go into another server and the problem is gone.

• Push this up

• I’d say ever 15th arrow or so goes right through my target, like a ghost and just does nothing, and today I stabbed a knight in the face to win the round of LTS and it went right through his face, a person in teamspeak spectating even said “Your sword just went right through his face”

It’s real and it’s annoying.

• been like this for a while, seems to happen far more often with shorter weapons. Shorter weapons also desync really easily, especially the saber. But more or less everything desyncs with lmb mashing now, I usually block the direction of the incoming strike, but I get hit in the back of my head instead.

Shields block from behind sometimes, for example if you hold your shield forward to block someone there and someone attacks you from behind you might block teh person behind you, this may occur with parries as well. Against arrows this happens sometimes as well, especially that pavise shield is OP, seems like it makes the player hitbox smaller.

• Yeah this problem is as old as the player bubble, but it’s recently getting much worse. I don’t know IF it’s player bubble related and I can only ever speculate, so please understand I’m only using it as a time-span comparison.

I see it happen in a row a lot. MaA will attack me, I’ll parry, no connection, he comes around for the second swing, I parry, no connection, he’ll lmb ONCE MORE, I parry, no connection.

It’s especially frustrating when you go for the stab or something to finish someone off, it goes through them without hitting or flinching, and then you eat whatever weapon in the face while you’re recovering from a perfectly good swing/stab.

This is a bad game-breaking bug, and I haven’t seen it acknowledged yet (doesn’t mean it wasn’t, though). It’d be nice to know it’s being worked on, or that SOMEONE knows what’s going on. I’m tired of the devs not having an idea as to what causes bugs and seemingly being alright with keeping them. This game is too small to have the number of bugs it does.

• Some official statement would be nice

• I wouldn’t hold your breath, it’ll never get fixed.

• @Slygoat:

This happens even with hitscan weapons, where client side decals/hit confirmations will often show when the server didn’t register a hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92URs70527I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXssPP_Zgbo

There are also much rarer cases where hit detection outright fails, such as this footage taken from a server-captured replay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXZoKQYT0MA

Melee weapons in Chivalry are hitscan: they essentially shoot a whole lot of “bullets” that only travel a short distance before disappearing - but UE does not use lag compensation, it uses very sophisticated prediction, so this isn’t much of a problem for melee weapons as far as seeing attacks register a hit without dealing damage. This is one of the reasons UE was chosen as Chivalry’s engine, because it just works much better for melee than the previous Source engine - if you want to see bad melee hit detection in action feel free to download Age of Chivalry and give it a shot. Generally speaking, lag compensation for hitscan weapons is designed with the assumption that hitscan weapons have infinite range, so they handle short reaching melee weapons terribly.

Projectiles on the other hand, are almost never lag compensated even in games that don’t rely on prediction like UE, because the projectiles generally exist server side - which is why you’ll often see a slight delay between firing a shot and your projectile appearing. Games generally have much wider hitboxes for non-hitscan projectiles to make up for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx-YFFnruDs

So the hitboxes are server side, the projectiles are server side, but the model you see is client side. Despite the larger hitbox, it can still fail for cases of high combined ping, subpar servers, packet loss, any little thing that goes wrong and causes the target’s model to appear in a different position client side than the target’s hitbox exists server side.

This is the reason you will sometimes, very rarely, see projectiles fly through people without registering a hit. You can also hit people your projectile didn’t actually touch (because the model was not synced to the hitbox), but that’s something people choose to forget; we tend to remember negative experiences far more clearly.

In short, this is not a Chivalry specific bug. This is not an engine specific bug. This isn’t even a bug. This is just an imperfection in client/server synchronization that has yet to be solved.

Believe what you will. I have no idea.

• Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast came out in 2002 and didn’t have this issue. Not sure what happened in these 11 years though (seriousface).

• @afiNity:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast came out in 2002 and didn’t have this issue. Not sure what happened in these 11 years though (seriousface).

It also didn’t seem to happen before the bubble patch. I remember only because everyone started saying it was BECAUSE of the bubble. I remember Clayton posted a video of it happening a day or so after that patch launched- we were all up in arms about it at the time because it was the “new problem” after they fixed the phantom/ghost swings that we used to complain about a lot. Hit detection used to be pretty stellar in this game and it’s still pretty good minus some weird things, like this.

• @quigleyer:

after they fixed the phantom/ghost swings that we used to complain about a lot.

When was that? Every second or third duel I fight there is at least one of both. Not even exaggerating.

• @fvonb:

@quigleyer:

after they fixed the phantom/ghost swings that we used to complain about a lot.

When was that? Every second or third duel I fight there is at least one of both. Not even exaggerating.

Sorry to reply so late, been on vacation:

I think we’re talking about two separate problems. Back “in the day” (not sure how long you’ve been playing, this was pre-bubble patch) there used to be swing animations that would play not seen by the person who was doing the animations in first person, and the swings would not hurt those they hit. What’s happening now is that players are ACTUALLY attacking and not hitting.

• @quigleyer:

I think we’re talking about two separate problems. Back “in the day” (not sure how long you’ve been playing, this was pre-bubble patch) there used to be swing animations that would play not seen by the person who was doing the animations in first person, and the swings would not hurt those they hit. What’s happening now is that players are ACTUALLY attacking and not hitting.

Right now there are both.

Phantom attacks:
    You see your enemy do an attack which is not really there and can’t be parried or hurt you. The enemy does not see “his” attack.

Ghost attacks:
    You see nothing but get hit. The enemy does see his attack.

Oh yeah and apparently the new one:
    You hit an enemy but do no damage (and most probably he doesn’t see the attack).

• @fvonb:

@quigleyer:

Right now there are both.

Phantom attacks:
    You see your enemy do an attack which is not really there and can’t be parried or hurt you. The enemy does not see “his” attack.

Ghost attacks:
    You see nothing but get hit. The enemy does see his attack.

Oh yeah and apparently the new one:
    You hit an enemy but do no damage (and most probably he doesn’t see the attack).

Thank you for your explanation, I always get confused as to what is which, and it makes discussing it much easier. I think the ghost attacks are just desynced swings- you see them a lot with the claymore, right? I’ve heard there was a way to purposefully perform them, but I’m not sure how it works and I’m glad people aren’t really talking about it if it is true.

I haven’t seen a phantom attack in a very long time, but that doesn’t mean they don’t happen. I used to see them, but I think they got patched out of the game (or I THOUGHT they got patched out). I honestly don’t think I’ve seen one for a good 5 months now, but I’m just guesstimating and have nothing to base this off of.

I think “the new one” is being referred to in the post title, but I could also easily be wrong about that. You DO see the swing if you’re the attacker, it just passes right through you. I began seeing this with the big balance patch, and it’s fairly persistent and happens in spurts. The enemy swings, you parry or get hit and it’s like he’s missing. You attack and see it pass through him, and you even lose stamina as though you missed. “The new one” occurs very frequently for me, and I always see the attack happen as both attacker or defender.

Just discussing. Hope I’m not like coming off as pushy.

• Nope, everyone sees the attack (as far as I know), it just doesn’t do any damage. That’s all…

• @quigleyer:

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen one for a good 5 months now, but I’m just guesstimating and have nothing to base this off of.

I see both of them daily, really.

• @afiNity:

Nope, everyone sees the attack (as far as I know), it just doesn’t do any damage. That’s all…

Do you lose stamina? I’m almost sure you do, but again- just “remembering” here. I’ll try and pay attention next time.

• @fvonb:

@quigleyer:

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen one for a good 5 months now, but I’m just guesstimating and have nothing to base this off of.

I see both of them daily, really.

Is it the swing/parry simultaneously thing? I don’t think that one hits you, but guys usually aren’t trying to attack when it happens so there are a lot of misses and I don’t see it enough to really be able to say.

Again, not arguing or doubting- I just find it interesting that you see them a lot and I don’t. What time zone are you usually playing in?