Higher game speed = more 'intense' competition

• It came to my realization today that Chivalry really needs a community of competitive, skilled players. Not only that, but fixing the game speed would make this game drastically more competitive and perhaps fun. If anyone has ever played Quake 3 arena or other such alike games competitively, then they would surely agree with me that faster gameplay makes for a more intense competitive atmosphere. It doesnt matter if it would be less realistic, to me, Chivalry is like any other competition, and upping the game speed and making that a regular thing among the competitive COMMUNITY, which to me is almost entirely absent, would spice things up a lot.

If you´re a competitive player and like this idea, then please contribute ideas about how we could establish a community of purely competitive players very into this game that would have a place where we could plan competitions, particularly duel competitions with higher speeds than usual, and otherwise. Someone just has to make the leap and actually start this, i am very ambitious and i´m sure that with cooperation among the best players, we could establish such a community, be it on this forum or another created implicitly in this purpose.

• aoc_slomo 2.0

Problem solved.

• Some loadouts can be very fast and aggressive not mentioning any in particular.

I got a lucky sequence off with the halberd the other day and killed someone in under 3 seconds….i’d say thats fast enough :D

• Its hard to be competetive or try to promote it when the developers themselves don’t partake or do anything to promote the competetive scene.

Leaving the competetive side of a game like Chivalry into the hands of the players and expect it to grow on its own is a pretty big risk, since Chivalry was and is being promoted as a “fun hack and slash” game. So most if its player base don’t actualy see Chivalry as being competetive I would even go further and say they don’t want this game to be challenging and competetive because it would mean “effort” on their part to actually “kill” someone.

Its a shame that the most of the popular competetive games are either moba’s or shooters. I do believe that melee games with a rich and deep combat system have the potential to played as an e-Sport.

There is no long term goal as to why you should be a pro at this game. In other games you get millions for being the best at your game, they broadcast the finals on tv watched by people from all over the world in Chivalry you are being called an cheater, exploiter, feinter, votekicked and treated like shit for being even remotely good at this game.

Reality is, Chivalry needs more mechanics, a decent tutorial and most importantly developers that openly support and promote the competetive aspect of this game by holding tournaments and posting videos or even have an ingame news feedback for scrims etc.

As for your suggestion: I don’t think a game speed increase is viable. The current speed offers a stable and reactable combat and it looks and feels “realistic”. Inceasin the overal game speed would look and play very awkward and would not resemble the medieval, gruesome combat we all so adore.

• I believe the fastest windup is .25 currently, if it was made below .2 most people wouldn’t be able to parry.

• @Sophax:

Its hard to be competetive or try to promote it when the developers themselves don’t partake or do anything to promote the competetive scene.

Leaving the competetive side of a game like Chivalry into the hands of the players and expect it to grow on its own is a pretty big risk, since Chivalry was and is being promoted as a “fun hack and slash” game. So most if its player base don’t actualy see Chivalry as being competetive I would even go further and say they don’t want this game to be challenging and competetive because it would mean “effort” on their part to actually “kill” someone.

Its a shame that the most of the popular competetive games are either moba’s or shooters. I do believe that melee games with a rich and deep combat system have the potential to played as an e-Sport.

There is no long term goal as to why you should be a pro at this game. In other games you get millions for being the best at your game, they broadcast the finals on tv watched by people from all over the world in Chivalry you are being called an cheater, exploiter, feinter, votekicked and treated like shit for being even remotely good at this game.

Reality is, Chivalry needs more mechanics, a decent tutorial and most importantly developers that openly support and promote the competetive aspect of this game by holding tournaments and posting videos or even have an ingame news feedback for scrims etc.

As for your suggestion: I don’t think a game speed increase is viable. The current speed offers a stable and reactable combat and it looks and feels “realistic”. Inceasin the overal game speed would look and play very awkward and would not resemble the medieval, gruesome combat we all so adore.

Yeah, i´m hoping that a very similar game to Chivalry will be made in the coming years, i mean Chivalry is obviously a success despite all its flaws, and no offense to you developers, i hope that some more experienced developers will take this idea and improve it a lot, making a game without all the flaws that Chivalry has. I don´t care about the game setting, just as long as i can fight with all sorts of melee weapons in a balanced competitive environment, this genre has such a potential…

• @danezcou3:

It came to my realization today that Chivalry really needs a community of competitive, skilled players. Not only that, but fixing the game speed would make this game drastically more competitive and perhaps fun. If anyone has ever played Quake 3 arena or other such alike games competitively, then they would surely agree with me that faster gameplay makes for a more intense competitive atmosphere. It doesnt matter if it would be less realistic, to me, Chivalry is like any other competition, and upping the game speed and making that a regular thing among the competitive COMMUNITY, which to me is almost entirely absent, would spice things up a lot.

If you´re a competitive player and like this idea, then please contribute ideas about how we could establish a community of purely competitive players very into this game that would have a place where we could plan competitions, particularly duel competitions with higher speeds than usual, and otherwise. Someone just has to make the leap and actually start this, i am very ambitious and i´m sure that with cooperation among the best players, we could establish such a community, be it on this forum or another created implicitly in this purpose.

I hear ya man. I was a regular on Unreal Tournament 2004(we all know how fast the gameplay of the older UTs were) and was actually REALLY good. The faster the gameplay, the better I am at any game. However, I enjoy the game speed of Chivalry as is. I won’t lie though, I would often join a server that is at 200% speed and play there if it were available.

• I really have to disagree with you there. Faster gameplay does not mean more competition. Plenty of slow-paced games out there that have competition to them. Quake was designed to be at the speed that it is. Chivalry is not. Unless you make very specific ,thought out, and extensive changes, it’s going to be massively unbalanced.

• Many people who play ProMod after lots of live think the game speed has been increased.

Chivalry had competitive and skilled players, still does. Unfortunately recent updates have done their best to push us out the game.

• @NabsterHax:

Many people who play ProMod after lots of live think the game speed has been increased.

Chivalry had competitive and skilled players, still does. Unfortunately recent updates have done their best to push us out the game.

^^^^^^^

Game was a lot more fast paced before removing combo feint to parry and adding in a parry in recovery. And forward chase mechanic. Lots of stupid stuff Torn Banner did to destroy competitive scene.

• Actually Chivalry was/is advertised as a competitive game.

What is it:

• First Person Slasher

• With a Multiplayer focus

(A competitive multiplayer FPS).

We believe that a wide variety of gamers would enjoy Chivalry, especially fans of the Medieval and pre-Medieval Era, or First-person shooter gamers who are looking for something new but with a familiar control scheme and competitive environment.

TBs either failed to make the game actually competitive or only used this term for marketing purposes.

About the topic:

I think it would be good if the game was a bit faster… not too much though or feinting and blocking would become impossible at some point. Also please add strafe-jumping serious-face.

• i had done just that, made the game way more fast paced and hardcore epic action and not through the game speed either, it was the most hardcore epic action you could get in chivalry hands down, the regular game and my server was like night and day, we also had a mod where u could kick or dodge for beast mode, which gave you unlimited stamina as long as you played beast like, otherwise you would have to reacivate it again, once the battle controling stamina is removed from your worries and the game pace is way faster and stuff hits harder flies faster and has more ammo, it becomes tons of fun and totay epic!

but in the last patch they removed all the files we use to mod the server because sum ppl tried to replicate that and couldnt do it and messed their servers up and they came and whined on here about weapon swing inconsistencies, well any file edited wrong will do that, thats the chance you take as an admin if your gonna edit stuff.

so now we all get punished and get to play with unfair combat slow as molasis gameplay and sum ridicolous stam drains that combined with all the other bugs etc etc makes regular gameplay practically unplayable and barely suitable for kids with down syndrome its so weak!

its a shame that no 1 was told about this or even the fact that it happened.

we will now have to wait for another patch and have to do it through scripts and make a “mod” out of it.

• I was considering increasing game speed by a tiny amount, if for no other reason than to screw with timing of the people that have setup auto combo macros :P

• lol who needs a macro for this, its like paced for kids with downsyndrome or sumthing its so fucking slow.
    the fact that any1 uses a macro on this is as ridicolous as how nerfed down the game is.

competition and skill, lol there hasnt been any of that in this game for a long time, more like a bunch of ppl abusing a majorly flawed combat system against one another thats got more bugs then a jungle!

modded is the only way this beta of a game is worth playing, otherwise the regular molasis fest and ridicolous stam drains and buggy unfair wonky combat basically just make it drown in its own mess of slowness and weakness and nerfness.

• @afiNity:

Actually Chivalry was/is advertised as a competitive game.

What is it:

• First Person Slasher

• With a Multiplayer focus

(A competitive multiplayer FPS).

@c6cm92z2:

We believe that a wide variety of gamers would enjoy Chivalry, especially fans of the Medieval and pre-Medieval Era, or First-person shooter gamers who are looking for something new but with a familiar control scheme and competitive environment.

TBs either failed to make the game actually competitive or only used this term for marketing purposes.

About the topic:

I think it would be good if the game was a bit faster… not too much though or feinting and blocking would become impossible at some point. Also please add strafe-jumping serious-face.

Most of the publicity Chivalry got is from many of the famous youtoubers that have millions of subscribers that praise the game for how fun and silly it is and many articles that were written in the same fashion. This is not a bad thing on its own. Its good that Chivalry gets customers and players. But what is not good is that when you finaly have a solid player base is that you don’t encourage or promote competetive play, which leaves people assuming this is merely a fun, mindless slasher with no or little depth. So players don’t feel attached to this game since quite frankly it doesn’t have that much content to offer, you have the uniqueness and the gruesomness that is the biggest selling point for this game.

But it won’t keep players playing the game if they just see Chivalry as a fun mindless slasher since the content is limited and it doesn’t have that much replayablity value if mindless fun is the what the players are looking for.

My solutions to have players keep playing this game would to offer more refined and deeper content in terms of “fun” to give players more play hours and replayability( massive sieges never get old, persistent online conquest?) AND a fully Dev supported competetive scene.

Just look at the top 10 most played steam games. You have either games who offer unique, deep and fun gameplay experience with alot of replayability, you have games which are highly competetive or you have games who the best of both worlds.

• Sadly I agree with Warsaw. By continuing to dumb down the game making it easier for noobs to get kills and killed the competitive scene. The game does play slow as shit compared to previous versions and the increased collusion bubble has increased swings not registering and getting stuck against shit in maps and by other players.

I am sorry but when pubbing, it should be very rare for anyone under level 30 to be at the top of the kill rankings, even worse when I see a level 10 out killing everyone of rank 35+. Every time you see this it is usually a noob vanguard just spamming the claymore. Point being is that rank level used to mean more skills acquired over time. Sadly the game mechanics have been dumbed down so noobs can win without skills.

• I respectfully disagree with this band wagon you all seem to be on.

You all got used to taking advantage of certain situations and then pronounced yourselves ‘high level’ or ‘competitive’. Yet some of the tools you mastered were always bound to have been removed/changed/fixed. It was a bit naive to think otherwise except for the fact that nowadays gaming companies love pandering to the squeaky wheel/fanboy.

TB have done very well not to do this but to instead keep to the vision of the game.

‘high level’ players should have anticipated what might be considered ‘broken’ and what may not be. Then you could have spent more time practicing on the things that actually counted for something rather then focusing on exploiting bugs and broken things.

Then I wouldn’t be left consoling some of your dying corpses on the duel servers in your tearful state whilst you consider quitting the game and leave me seeing “Such and such has abandoned the game….”

@Retsnom:

I am sorry but when pubbing, it should be very rare for anyone under level 30 to be at the top of the kill rankings, even worse when I see a level 10 out killing everyone of rank 35+. Every time you see this it is usually a noob vanguard just spamming the claymore. Point being is that rank level used to mean more skills acquired over time. Sadly the game mechanics have been dumbed down so noobs can win without skills.

Given this ^ and what i’ve mentioned above i propose players’ level/rank is reset.
    If a level 35 is having trouble killing a lvl 10 who is spamming the claymore then obviously some aren’t as skilled as they used to be now that the bugs have been cleaned out of the game.

• @giantyak:

I respectfully disagree with this band wagon you all seem to be on.

You all got used to taking advantage of certain situations and then pronounced yourselves ‘high level’ or ‘competitive’. Yet some of the tools you mastered were always bound to have been removed/changed/fixed. It was a bit naive to think otherwise except for the fact that nowadays gaming companies love pandering to the squeaky wheel/fanboy.

TB have done very well not to do this but to instead keep to the vision of the game.

‘high level’ players should have anticipated what might be considered ‘broken’ and what may not be. Then you could have spent more time practicing on the things that actually counted for something rather then focusing on exploiting bugs and broken things.

Then I wouldn’t be left consoling some of your dying corpses on the duel servers in your tearful state whilst you consider quitting the game and leave me seeing “Such and such has abandoned the game….”

@Retsnom:

Given this ^ and what i’ve mentioned above i propose players’ level/rank is reset.
    If a level 35 is having trouble killing a lvl 10 who is spamming the claymore then obviously some aren’t as skilled as they used to be now that the bugs have been cleaned out of the game.

Um you have some brown stuff on your nose….

Please, how ignorant are you? They have totally pandered to the whiny noobs. Let give you a few examples of pandering vs skills and how the skills were nerfed. I will not even mention 3rd person and and cross hairs…

1. Face Hugging VS increased collusion bubble. Face hugging is a legit tactic that requires skill and experience to avoid and counter. That would work in real life, yes, I could face you and reach around and stab you in the back. Instead enough whiny players bitched.

Solution: Change game mechanic to increase the collusion bubble of a player so that they cannot get face hugged.

End result: increase of missed attacks, increased swing through player models, increased parry fails, getting stuck on more stuff in the map, 50% of fisting fails to make contact, collusion bubble so big that you can be pressed against something where you cannot move at all yet visually there is enough room to escape. Fail…

2. Feint to Parry - This was an squired skill to both use effectively and learned skills to avoid and counter. Made the game faster paced.

Solution: Make the cost of feint to parry with high stamina drain thus making it not worth doing.

End result: Again, total nerf of a valid tactic so that if you do it, you pretty much run out of stam and you die. Noobs win, skills lose.

3. Look down overhead - increase swing speed by looking down but noobs bitched because they couldnt counter it but most skilled players knew how to counter and defeat it .

Solution: Game mechanic change, slower look down speed when attacking.

End result: Mixed, some classes can still do it effectively, sort of, most classes do not, but now noobs dont need skill to parry a slow assed overhead. But hey soon dragging will be nerfed I am sure…

4. Pre last patch, skilled players could go on many high number kill streaks. Noobs would have little chance of successfully fighting a skilled player. Skilled players could break away from the action, stop, crouch and get and could control their regen.

Solution: Increase stamina drains for pretty much everything. Higher stamina punishments for high skill moves. Major game mechanic change in health regeneration. Health regen is so slow now that on LTS if you get badly damaged the round will be over before you can regen fast enough to engage. Players cannot control when they rest and regen, not really.

End result: skilled players that used high skilled moves now run out of stamina and die much easier, 2 sec player model freeze (now 1.8 and still too long) all you could do is duck, sometimes.

5. Alt swing speed slightly increased - Skilled players switched to using alt swings more and were slightly harder to parry.

Solution: Add a fraction of a sec between button press and attack, so that alt swings are not faster.

End result: because there is a delay between button press and swing animation, it throws off any and all combos. There is no real time swing control. The alt swings are still the same speed they were, it is just an added delay at the beginining. So instead of actually fixing the swing animations and times this was a “cheap” fix. Now alt swings are easier to parry and almost irrelevant.

These are just a few tactics that are valid, required skills and knowledge to both use and defeat but the game was nerfed, dumbed down, ghost swings and parry fails, over buffing or over nerfing of some weapon classes, all so noobs can get kills easily.

• I don’t think more speed is necessary at all. Competitive play is plenty intense as it is. I don’t really know why it doesn’t take off more than it does (this game is far more competitive and skill based than shooters for example) but it’s not slowness that is holding it back.

@giantyak:

I respectfully disagree with this band wagon you all seem to be on.

Chivalry is still competitive relative to other games. There are some that have a higher skill ceiling, mainly the games that have huge communities / competitive scenes (LoL, Dota, SC2, etc) but it’s still a strong title.

That said, it’s less competitive than before all of these changes. I think lately what I dislike the most is stamina draining so fast. Combo feint to parry allowed you to continue being aggressive which made a huge difference in the skill ceiling against more than one fighter; but it’s not as critical in 1v1. Now, what matters more here, is stamina. Especially when fighting against someone with a heavier weapon than I, I have little ability to kill them because it boils down to stamina war that they will usually win (unless they have terrible defense which I can exploit).

If I am fighting someone close to my skill with a heavy maul or grand mace for example, I can’t win in a direct fight with a longsword. They merely have to keep attacking and my stamina will wear out. I can try to sprint out of the way to regain some when I get low after just a few parries, but good players will keep chase, inevitably ending in death due to stamina, unavoidably so. This is terrible.

I’ve also experienced this when fighting players using the claymore / greatsword. Slow drags / extremely fast overhead / knockback / range. All of these characteristics lead to their total control of the engagement. They can attack faster and have the range to do so, and every time I parry I lose stamina. I can’t win the stamina war, and I’ve found that fights tend to boil down to this more and more at higher levels of play, where fights go on for longer periods of time because we don’t fall for conventional tactics very often. I doubt this is the intended cap of skill. If it is, that’d be quite disappointing.

Stamina penalty for parrying should be decreased.

• Stamina does seem a bit broken at the moment. I’m unsure if its been changed since the customisation patch but that does appear to be the case. I used to be able to drain peoples stamina very well with the polehammer, but now all of a sudden its not working as effectively.

I think people need to focus more on foot work (range and placement) and timing now and treat every situation as if you have a limited number of tries to win; create situations where:
    -your enemy misses
    -you get around their defenses successfully
    -break their footwork so you can achieve either of the above.
    This ^ requires more skill IMO than what people previously tried to do where they attempted to exploit the game mechanics into a situation where they can force the other player into poorer position.

A menial example is: sprinting into people whilst looking at the ground and slashing at peoples feet. Back in the day that used to be somewhat effective if the other person didn’t know how to deal with it. There used to be many many little aspects that could be exploited, but now those are largely all gone. So now people have to actually do something clever to score a hit AND stamina actually matters (which is what the community asked for).

Therefore, its a more competitive environment now then it used to be IMO.

Given stamina balancing might need to be looked at for group fights. The best suggestion i’ve seen is that if one block or parry in one brief instant takes 3 hits from 3 players you only lose stamina based off 1 hit for that moment. This would make group fights more fun and reward more experienced players in situations where they’re outnumbered.