Being flinched in release phase?

• Being flinched in release phase?
    Anyone experienced this? its very frustrating and is more noticeable with some loadouts compared to others. Basically this problem turns me completely off some loadouts.

I’ve observed this problem as a spectator on duels as well so i know its not just me. Its a frequent occurrence (for some loadouts) from what i have observed.

Its upsetting to be turned off some viable loadouts because of this problem

• I don’t think you mentioned loadouts enough.

In all seriousness though, could you be more specific, or provide a video or something?

Edit: Nevermind, did some testing and yep, flinches where there are supposed to be no flinches.

• no need for video, i will confirm this. I’ve said that the flinch mechanic is one of the most broken mechanics. I get flinched during release all the time, even like halfway through my swing where a hit trade would normally happen.

What happens when I try to flinch someone in release, swing keeps curling around and hits (fun when you’re maa and it’s a messer weeeeee)

but seriously, happens all the time.

• I confirm this too. This usually happens to me when I’m using the greatsword.
    It’s so frustrating to fight an archer in close combat, if you were surprised by him. You can’t switch to secondary fast enough, so you have to stick with your easy-to-flinch weapon. And if you get a chance and use it, they will interrupt you even though you’re in release… This really needs to be fixed.

Fixing it will probably also reduce the amount of people complaining about the archer being op. It really isn’t.

• This only happens to me wih the greatsword.

You can also get flinched in charge with it.

• I can confirm this as well. Sure, latency can be a problem every now and then, but theres a clear difference. Between just happening in the very beginning, versus happening in the middle of your swing.

Shouldn’t this post have been made in the bug report thread, though?

• I confirm it too. It seem to happen to me mostly vs spears. I know the gs since I use it a lot. The spear would stop my swing already in release. If spear suppose to do that and I just did not know then cool. It still happens with other weapons and I noticed doing it myself a few times.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I can confirm this as well. Sure, latency can be a problem every now and then, but theres a clear difference. Between just happening in the very beginning, versus happening in the middle of your swing.

Yeah what you said about latency -when its happening in the middle of your release phase you wouldn’t think its latency, but when your spectating a duel and you see it happen you know its just wrong (and this is why i didn’t mention any loadouts, if you watch a couple of duels you’ll see it happen).
    I hadn’t seen this discussed yet which is why i put this post here.

• i’ve had it happen with probably every 2 handed weapon i use… 1 handers are hard to judge going against another 1 handre, because it’s really too fast to know whether you’re in release or not for hit trade or flinch most times. It’s VERY noticable with especially slow 2 handed weapons like maul that are in release then your swing stops and gets flinched, or greatsword as lemon said…

the flinch mechanic does not really work correctly.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I can confirm this as well. Sure, latency can be a problem every now and then, but theres a clear difference. Between just happening in the very beginning, versus happening in the middle of your swing.

I already made a bug report about that some time ago. I can’t find it anymore…Pretty weird…

• This may have happened to me a few times, but I’m not 100% sure because I think characters doing their attack grunts before release now is throwing me off.

• Definitely an existing issue.

Experienced this the most while playing Longsword Knight.

• I was dragging my zweihander release, got stabbed in the side, and had the swing stop yesterday.

• What i find interesting is that the biggest problem i used to have was flinch not working when i hit someone in windup; and this resulted in my javelin player hit trading with zweihanders and getting his head chopped off despite epic footwork and timing (hitting people in windup…. zzzz)

And now, post patch, my biggest problem is being hit well into my release phase and being flinched…

The problem is now the reverse :?

• I’ve only noticed it with the greatsword still.

All other weapons I don’t get flinched in release.

The grunt is the start of release. So if you get flinched after that then Its a bug. Only happens with the greatsword. Latency can have something to do with it. But latency usually only flinched you while you grunt not after unless they have 200+ ping.

After all Its all clientside hit detection. Server side would be far worse.

Happened before the customisation patch. But before the balance patch I would know. I hardly used the greatsword then.

It also gets flinched in the start of charge. Which can cause interesting teleportation issues.

• On a related topic: how, exactly, are arrows supposed to flinch you? Sometimes they flinch you in release, sometimes not. It makes no sense at all.

• I feel as tho the Flail has some issues with being flinched too easily as well… Iv been using it a lot lately and find it almost impossible to do a hit trade with anyone. The flail just seams to get flinched every time… even in release

• That’d be a good point, on the flail, to raise in the knight weapons thread. I have experienced similar issues. It’s a difficult issue to solve.

But about the flinch in release,
    If you go javelin vs zweihander you certainly notice all the times flinch fails :)
    Its frusterating because the javelin stab is fast when used correctly and the zweihander windup is slow so its the best way to see this problem in action. And not to mention that each time flinch fails and a hit trade results you get 1shot.