Do all high-level players look like seizure victims?

• So I’ve been playing a lot of Chivalry lately and trying to spend more time with really good players; the ones who make the best use of the real-time swing system, don’t fall for feints, and kick my ass so I can learn. I’ve been really enjoying it, except for one thing…

Everyone I fight now looks like a spastic helicopter. They twitch and whirl, bend over backwards, and poke their sword up over their head from behind. They hug up against me and jerk back and forth, sword weaving every which way. Gameplay-wise, it’s very impressive! They’re hard to block, they attack aggressively, and they usually beat me. And I’m perfectly okay with that, I understand the skill it takes to execute.

My problem is…it looks dumb as hell, and it’s ruining the game for me. Yes, I realize that Chivalry has NEVER been about realism, and that’s fine! Realism isn’t something I care about. But aesthetically speaking, a big part of why I always liked Chivalry was because it felt like a cinematic, impressive game I could show to friends or stream that captured the scale and intensity of medieval combat. The heated duels, the clash of weapons…I can’t help but feel they’re undermined when I’m assaulted by a vanguard whose brandistock looks like it’s been attached to a broken lawn sprinkler, no matter how effective a tactic it is.

So my question is…have I reached a point where the game isn’t really catering to my interests, or is this one playstyle among many? I don’t want to play that way, but if I have no choice, I fear Chivalry might not be the competitive game for me.

• Welcome to Chivalry disappointing warfare…
    The game used to be good… but that was a long time ago. Now most of the players secretly wish that another company take over that fantastic genre and do something playable.

• i agree with OP. high level play seems to focus all around accepted exploits, and it’s just weird. it sucks out all immersion if the most skilled characters look like, and fighting them feels like, constant bugs in the matrix.
    and i don’t blame them, certainly. it’s what you need to develop your skill level. but that means it’s no longer medieval warfare, but becomes beat the engine warfare. no longer is it about beating eachother senseless with medieval weapons, but about abusing glitches and other unpremeditated consequences of the mechanics and physics.

but i’d also point that both i and OP are slightly exaggerating.

• @Deadpan:

i agree with OP. high level play seems to focus all around accepted exploits, and it’s just weird. it sucks out all immersion if the most skilled characters look like, and fighting them feels like, constant bugs in the matrix.
    and i don’t blame them, certainly. it’s what you need to develop your skill level. but that means it’s no longer medieval warfare, but becomes beat the engine warfare. no longer is it about beating eachother senseless with medieval weapons, but about abusing glitches and other unpremeditated consequences of the mechanics and physics.

I don’t believe mouse dragging is a glitch or an exploit, but I don’t know what the developer’s official stance on this is. I do know the game boasted real time/adjustable swings, and that’s generally what you’re seeing with the draggers you call exploiters. As well the developers even took the time to cap the during-swing mouse movement, but STILL left it in the game. Dancing vanguards weren’t so lucky CU…3 (?) were they?

A game exists within a certain set of rules. By your logic this makes every game “beat the engine warfare” right?

OP- I feel you on this, I really do. I used to just hate mouse dragging. Once upon a time I was dueling an excellent mouse dragger and just could not beat him with what I was using, so I attempted a mouse drag and it worked. Then it turned into one of the greatest fights I had at that time.

I do understand mouse dragging can break your immersion, but the potential it adds to battles and gameplay (especially after the stamina nerf, CFTP nerf, spear buff, etc. of the last patch) on the higher level fights is really what this game needs more of.

• As MIKE EFFING JONES I don’t think the problem is that widespread, I will occasionally do a backwards overhand but mostly that’s just for giggles, although it can be effective it is very hard to land most of the time.

Many B tier players have started mousing outrageous in an attempt to get people to panic parry, but it doesn’t work against anyone who knows not to block a helmet. There are very few exploits left AFAIK, instant polearm overhands still exist, combo desyncs, dodging while stunned, and certain bugged animations with ripostes.

Some players cheat, some cheese, others still would be considered one of the two by other players, etc

• Don’t get me wrong; I completely acknowledge that these drags and positioning moves are not exploits, and that they make the game more skillful. I respect that!

It’s just that it looks so damn SILLY that it’s killing my interest in the game. This may sound shallow [and it probably is] but 90% of why I liked Chivalry is because fights looked so cool. When everyone at high level is spazzing out, it ruins that for me.

• with defense being so easy now, have to find ways to get around parry. If you don’t feint now or drag or something, you will get parried 10-15 times in a row. Back and forths that take that long are not good for team fights, need to kill and move on. Using other tactics to trick someone into a parry is the only way for fights not to take so damn long.

• Its kind of putting a flag on “why I hate players who plays too much”. (though I don’t enjoy playing with them at all in the first place)

What do you expect from a person that spent 5000 hours on this game since its release? To take every bit of idiocy in a game and shove it up your face, ruining other people’s enjoyment. Now maybe the gameplay side of it doesn’t bother you, so its unfortunate mere customization is ruining it for you. You can at least hope for some sort of option to turn customization off client side, maybe.

• @SFJake:

Its kind of putting a flag on “why I hate players who plays too much”. (though I don’t enjoy playing with them at all in the first place)

What do you expect from a person that spent 5000 hours on this game since its release? To take every bit of idiocy in a game and shove it up your face, ruining other people’s enjoyment. Now maybe the gameplay side of it doesn’t bother you, so its unfortunate mere customization is ruining it for you. You can at least hope for some sort of option to turn customization off client side, maybe.

Wait why are you talking about customization? ?_?

• I don’t believe mouse dragging is a glitch or an exploit, but I don’t know what the developer’s official stance on this is. I do know the game boasted real time/adjustable swings, and that’s generally what you’re seeing with the draggers you call exploiters. As well the developers even took the time to cap the during-swing mouse movement, but STILL left it in the game. Dancing vanguards weren’t so lucky CU…3 (?) were they?

A game exists within a certain set of rules. By your logic this makes every game “beat the engine warfare” right?

mouse dragging isn’t a problem, although the lookdown overhead is a bit OP. it’s the reverse attacks that are a problem. some players feint into a reverse attack, which seems to come from nowhere at all. these are virtually impossible to parry or block, and it looks really awkward.

a famous and obvious example of reverse attack is the look-up overhead. but there are many more. what kind of medieval warrior would face away from an enemy to attack them over their back? and yet many highly skilled players use it all the time.

• @Rampage:

@SFJake:

Its kind of putting a flag on “why I hate players who plays too much”. (though I don’t enjoy playing with them at all in the first place)

Wait why are you talking about customization? ?_?

Yea… suddenly wat.

Anywhoo, mouse dragging is okay, I have some problems with backwards overheads, I can parry them almost all the time but it looks fucking stupid. I’m not going to lie, I backwards overhead rarely with shortsword, but I still do it. Its also useful for opening doors while not having your back to the enemy.

• People do these tactics to get around parries. If you don’t want to do that because you think it looks silly you don’t need to, you can just feint.

• @Coaster_Man:

People do these tactics to get around parries. If you don’t want to do that because you think it looks silly you don’t need to, you can just feint.

This doesn’t work, though. Since feinting costs stamina and dragging doesn’t, they wind up stunlocking me and killing me. It feels like at higher levels, it’s helicopter or bust.

• @Rampage:

@Coaster_Man:

People do these tactics to get around parries. If you don’t want to do that because you think it looks silly you don’t need to, you can just feint.

This doesn’t work, though. Since feinting costs stamina and dragging doesn’t, they wind up stunlocking me and killing me. It feels like at higher levels, it’s helicopter or bust.

Feinting is underpowered.

• @NabsterHax:

In what way? Feinting seems pretty effective to me.

• @Peculiar:

@NabsterHax:

In what way? Feinting seems pretty effective to me.

When you feint successfully the enemies head should explode. Don’t you know anything?

• only thing i can say about feint is that with the short window you have to feint in, you shouldn’t immediately strike again anymore because the parry seems to stay up long enough to miss a parry plus parry the actual attack too. No changes were made to parry length as far as i know, just seems this way… or opponent may just be able to parry twice, which i think was a change in parry recovery time.

• A big problem with the game IMO is that there are only two ways to actually win a fight. Either trick your enemy, or drain their stamina. Because stamina takes so long to drain and in the end only gets you one hit, you have to spaz out and make yourself as unpredictable as possible. There just isn’t a high skill ceiling built into the game.

• I just feint when I need too, I don’t spaz out. Yeah some of them are like constantly crouching swing backwards and up from the ground moving there mouse back and forth all game to try and fake you like a wow player keeping a eye out for the enemy. it looks dumb and really doesn’t fool me, but I guess it fakes out new players.

now that there are less ghost swings, everyone can insta parry like they did with ctfp bug and no bugged alt swings they are trying all sorts of stuff

I hope they don’t third party macro their twitch…

• @Deadpan:

i agree with OP. high level play seems to focus all around accepted exploits, and it’s just weird. it sucks out all immersion if the most skilled characters look like, and fighting them feels like, constant bugs in the matrix.

If you play on a 1st person only server/duel server there is a massive difference compared to a 3rd person enabled server. I found a 3rd person enabled duel server a couple of days ago and it was pretty much exactly like what your saying. So i returned to a 1st person only server and all of a sudden the ‘high level’ players are brought down to a less spastic level (yes spastic).

@Coaster_Man:

or he can just use good foot work and timing which trumps everything.