Pricing of Chivalry

• Ok, first, this game is awesome.

Second, hey guys.

Third, I’ll tell you a bit about myself.

My name on steam is Ironclaw, and I run an AoC clan in Australia (SRS). We are an extremely active clan, and do as much as possible to keep the Australian AoC community alive (so does the other Aus AoC clan: Sisu).

And finally, the subject I wish to discuss with everyone, not just the developers.

I remember saying while playing AoC a few weeks ago, “Wow, this game is so polished, you know what? I would pay for this game”. I then went on for a few more minutes to get killed repeatedly by bullshit lag deaths and glitches… then I said “Nevermind on buying the game… it’s not that polished”.

But now Chivalry has been announced, and it will be using the UE3 as it’s heart, I can say “It’s commercial, and I would like to pay for this game, to support these guys for years of effort”. But…

Game pricing is a sticking point for me. I don’t pay much for games. Why? because they aren’t worth as much as companies ask for them. Even when the game released is only $30.

Some people like to trick themselves into thinking it’s ok by saying to themselves things such as: I’ll be playing it before other people, or the previously mentioned It’s only line. This is a real problem, as games have been constantly going up in price, and it needs to stop. Now a lot of you should know about building a computer(I am using a custom computer, and I love it… it’s well, awesome). So when you go to buy the parts, you may be thinking about a graphics card: “Oh wow, $400 is really expensive for a graphics card”, but as you get more money, or start to upgrade your computer, you might say “Hmm, $400, that’s not much”. This happens in governments too, they spend Billions of dollars, when clearly they only need to spend a 10th of what they do, but hey, it’s not their money, it’s the taxpayers money"

That may seem like it was getting off topic, but it wasn’t. Games need to get down in price, I “suffer” (not really, I do other stuff in the meantime) for this belief, where I waited 3 years to get Bioshock(for $20 mind you), 2 years for Dead Space ($20 again), and waited for a sale on the orange box before buying it(for $10 :p). What’s more, the games I did spend lots of money on (years ago now), Weren’t even that good, I didn’t enjoy them, I didn’t finish them and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. But the games I have spent $25 and under on(left 4 dead, shattered horizon, deus ex, il-2 sturmovik), Are absolutely awesome, and I am glad I got them (except op flashpoint 2 for $7.50 … at least it was only $7.50), and double glad I got them for such a low price.

We need to push game prices down, in both digital releases and retail releases, this would do exactly what people say: More people would buy the game, and less people would pirate it… and because of that, the company doesnt need to put the price up, or screw it’s customers over with crappy DRM (ASS Creed 2 anyone? not to mention the other UBISOFT games with that DRM).

Who agrees with me on that?

Now, this goes directly to the AoC devs: When you do decide on the price, I will not pay anything over $15 for it ($10 is preferred), and I will respect you if you release it for higher… But don’t forget to adopt the valve pricing methods of lowering the price relatively soon after release (As opposed to Activision and their unbudging Modern Warfare 2).

This will get through to someone, and I do keep an open mind. If anyone can prove to me that paying too much for anything is good, I will eat my Graphics Card(it’s a 5850).

• yes this is good in some aspects like it will help team chivalry reach further goals with the money but it will also put some people off having to pay when they are already used to playing for free on the normal chivalry

• @Samula:

yes this is good in some aspects like it will help team chivalry reach further goals with the money but it will also put some people off having to pay when they are already used to playing for free on the normal chivalry

While others will be more inclined to try it out if it’s a commercial title…

If they don’t want to pay for quality content then they’re missing out and they only have themselves to blame…
    It doesn’t make sense to offer a game for free because some people are used to not paying…

• So you’re saying that game developers should just work for free? I’m sorry but I disagree big time with your arguments that the prices of games needs to come down. If you don’t want to buy them, fine don’t buy them. Some of the big software companies are bastards and I agree they overprice their products. However, small time developers do not have the corporate resources the big guys do. They need to make money somehow, it’s the driving force in life and a huge motivator to put out high quality work.

I love Age of Chivalry. It is arguably the most polished and successful HL2 mod. I really don’t get people that bitch about “bullshit lag deaths and glitches”. I don’t experience that in the game. I would pay to play this game and I have in helping pay for a server. When Chivalry is released I will buy it no matter how much it is.

Support indies.

• I want to support all game developers. And never in my original post did I ask for Chivalry to be free. It was Samula that mentioned the game possibly being sold for free.

All I ask is for the game to be sold for around $10, give or take $5 and/or have the game on sale when it is released, then, if they wish, sell it for $20.

I hope there aren’t any more confusions left to be sorted out.

• no i dont want it for free i support the idea of paying i was just mentioning that with the amount of people that have played age of chivalry for free might be put off having to pay. but like i said i think paying will help the dev’s reach further goals and improve chivalry even more

• @Samula:

i was just mentioning that with the amount of people that have played age of chivalry for free might be put off having to pay.

The same can be said about people pirating games…
    Since it doesn’t matter it doesn’t make sense to just make statements like that or what are you proposing that Team Chivalry should do about the people who are put off by having to pay?

I also don’t think it’s fair to say I won’t pay more than 15$, you should judge the game by it’s quality when it’s released and only then decide if it’s worth the price or not…
    I’m assuming the price will depend on the amount of content. Many times I’ve found myself thinking damn this game could have used twice the content and I would gladly have paid twice as much for it…

• keep in mind, canadians can’t be charged for pirating, so if you deter that population with a really high price then we’re ganna exercise that right :)

• @Vox:

keep in mind, canadians can’t be charged for pirating, so if you deter that population with a really high price then we’re ganna exercise that right :)

Good luck pirating a multiplayer game :P

• oh, we have our ways, don’t you worry

• Really honorable of you. :|

• I will be sure to implement every type of reasonable protection onto this game to deal with you canadians then ;)