Questions & Comments

• If you have any questions or comments outside of your language thread, please post it here so we can keep this section clutter free.

Also read the post after mine for a full list of Questions and Answers.

Thank you.

• Developer

Question:
    Where are the game’s strings? How can I change them?

Answer:
    The game’s strings are found at

…\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\Localization

English is the reference language. English’s three-letter code code is INT. If you want a translation to compare English to, always look at Polish (POL).

To add a new language, copy the INT directory and name it to a new three-letter code for the new language (see below for which name to use). All of the .int files inside the directory need to have their extension renamed to also use the new three-letter code.

Open the text files in a text editor that can handle UCS-2 or UTF-16 files (Notepad++ can, and it’s free and I like it; Notepad on Windows Vista and up can if you save the resulting files as “unicode”). When you look at the file, you’ll see things like this:

[HudMarker]
    Torches=Torches
    BurnM=Burn Market

Things contained in square brackets like [HudMarker] are section names. They’re used for organizing the string files. Do not translate these.

Text that shows in the game has an “=” in it, like the “BurnM=Burn Market” line. Everything before the “=” (in this case, “BurnM”) is the key that the game uses to find the string. Do not translate the key. Everything after the “=” (here, “Burn Market”) is what gets displayed in the game. This is what you want to change.

Occasionally you’ll come across things like

; {EXTRA1} replaced by key name
    ConfirmEmptyKeyInfo=Are you sure that you don't want to bind a key to {EXTRA1}?
    ```The thing with the squiggly brackets (in this example, "{EXTRA1}") gets replaced with other text by the game. Don't change the code in the squiggly brackets, or the game won't know what to do with it. It's there so that you can change its position within the string to fit your language better.

Sometimes we have comments in the files to explain what something is. Comment lines start with ";" such as the "; {EXTRA1} replaced by key name" line above. You can also add comments starting with ";" to the translated files for your own reference. Changing or adding comment lines to the text files will not affect the game.

**Example:**

English (Localization\INT\AOCUI.int):

[Confirm]
    PasswordTxt=Input Password
    Warning=Warning
    ; {EXTRA1} replaced by key name.
    ConfirmEmptyKeyInfo=Are you sure that you don’t want to bind a key to {EXTRA1}?

Polish (Localization\POL\AOCUI.pol):

[Confirm]
    PasswordTxt=“Wprowad? has?o”
    Warning=“Uwaga”
    ; {EXTRA1} replaced by key name.
    ConfirmEmptyKeyInfo=“Czy na pewno nie chcesz przypisa? klawisza do: {EXTRA1}?”

(you'll see here also that the Polish strings are surrounded in quotation marks. You can do this. You don't need to do this; if you do, the game will strip the quotation marks from the displayed string)

–--

**Question**:

How do I run the game in a different language?

**Answer**:

To run the game in a different language:

**If the game already supports the language:** Right click on the game in the Steam library, click Properties, Languages, and choose the language you want.

**If the game doesn't yet support the language:** Right click the game in the Steam library, click Properties, click Set Launch Options. In the text box, add:

-language=RUS

(replacing RUS with your language's three-letter code)

–--

**Question**:

Which three-letter code do I use for my language?

**Answer**:

UE3's language codes appear to be arbitrary. _Sometimes_ they correspond to one of the [ISO 639x](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes) standards, sometimes they're something else altogether.

If the game doesn't yet have your language, look at

chivalrymedievalwarfare\Engine\Localization

And see if the Engine has a code for the language. If so, use that code. If it doesn't, choose one, preferably from [ISO 639-2/B or ISO 639-2/T](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes).

This code is used for the directory name in …\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\Localization, and for the file extensions for the files within that directory (above), and it's what you'll start the game with to start it in your language (above).

• Thx for patch to non-english country like Asia, but our Koreans are disappointed with Korean fonts aren’t include Friday’s font patch. So, is it possible that add Korean fonts? I wonder if you developers consider to add fonts. Thx.

• Developer

I’m not aware of a Korean font with a “free” enough license that we could integrate it into the game without any issue. The fonts currently used in the game have extremely generous licenses. Part of the issue may be that it’s hard to find Korean fonts when none of us read the language.

Getting into licensing a font would be the next step if we can’t find one, but licensing for this type of use can be kind of tricky and kind of expensive, and none of us really have the ability to even evaluate Korean fonts.

• How do I find out what translations are already under way? For example, I can put together a localized translation for Quebec, Canada. I know it might not be used often but I see many players with the Qc tag showing Quebec pride. In any case the translation could be made to be standard for all French speakers, but I’m not sure if the translation already exists.

Does a French translation already exist? If no, I will do the translation by myself (It would be cool to be acknowledged in the credits, I would die if I could be like, hey clan, check out the creeeeeditssss)

• Developer

@?B:

How do I find out what translations are already under way? For example, I can put together a localized translation for Quebec, Canada. I know it might not be used often but I see many players with the Qc tag showing Quebec pride. In any case the translation could be made to be standard for all French speakers, but I’m not sure if the translation already exists.

Does a French translation already exist? If no, I will do the translation by myself (It would be cool to be acknowledged in the credits, I would die if I could be like, hey clan, check out the creeeeeditssss)

(Some of this is in my first post in this thread) For translations that have been integrated into the game:

Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click Properties. Click Language. Switch to the language of your choice.

To see the string files for that language: Head over to your Chivalry directory, and go into UDKGame\Localization (usually somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\Localization). There’ll be a directory for the language in question; in this case, “FRA”

There is an outdated French translation in the game. If you want to help us out, you can update/replace it (see my first post in this thread for how to do that, and Kimiko’s post here for how to create a thread in this forum to organize translation).

• @CrustaceanSoup:

@?B:

How do I find out what translations are already under way? For example, I can put together a localized translation for Quebec, Canada. I know it might not be used often but I see many players with the Qc tag showing Quebec pride. In any case the translation could be made to be standard for all French speakers, but I’m not sure if the translation already exists.

(Some of this is in my first post in this thread) For translations that have been integrated into the game:

Right click on the game in your Steam library. Click Properties. Click Language. Switch to the language of your choice.

To see the string files for that language: Head over to your Chivalry directory, and go into UDKGame\Localization (usually somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\Localization). There’ll be a directory for the language in question; in this case, “FRA”

There is an outdated French translation in the game. If you want to help us out, you can update/replace it (see my first post in this thread for how to do that, and Kimiko’s post here for how to create a thread in this forum to organize translation).

Sweet, I’ll be looking into it, thanks!

• Developer

We can’t just accept any font, we need to be very certain that it’s actually licensed openly. If someone just handed us a TTF file with no documentation of where it came from, we wouldn’t be able to accept it.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

I’m not aware of a Korean font with a “free” enough license that we could integrate it into the game without any issue. The fonts currently used in the game have extremely generous licenses. Part of the issue may be that it’s hard to find Korean fonts when none of us read the language.

Getting into licensing a font would be the next step if we can’t find one, but licensing for this type of use can be kind of tricky and kind of expensive, and none of us really have the ability to even evaluate Korean fonts.

UE3 engine contains basic language font isn’t it? If not, i can provide license-free Korean font, but i wonder if it can be aded in game.

And, another UE3 engine based game Boderland 2, when the game was not support Korean font, now support Korean font, a Korean user made multiplay availabe Korean chatting patch. So i can also provide patch file if that be a help to you developers.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

We can’t just accept any font, we need to be very certain that it’s actually licensed openly. If someone just handed us a TTF file with no documentation of where it came from, we wouldn’t be able to accept it.

I understand what you really concerned about. So, I introduce Open Font License font “Nanum font”, is provided by Korean network corporation NHN.

Here is “Nanum font” reference data : http://help.naver.com/ops/step2/faq.nhn?faqId=15879
    And you can download “Nanum font” pack here : http://hangeul.naver.com/font
    Just click green bar “TTF ??? ??? ??? ???”, then “Nanum font” pack download will start beginning.
    And, you can also find “Nanum font” in Google Webfonts : http://www.google.com/fonts/earlyaccess
    search in this section “Korean” or “Nanum Gothic”.

• Developer

I’ve thusfar rejected fonts under the SIL Open Font License because of Condition 5 of the license:

1. The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole,
      must be distributed entirely under this license, and must not be
      distributed under any other license. The requirement for fonts to
      remain under this license does not apply to any document created
      using the Font Software.

When we integrate a font into the game, it gets embedded into a SWF movie, which is in turn imported into a UE3 package, which is in turn cooked into a cooked startup package along with a number of other things. We can’t merely aggregate the fonts with the game as a separate TTF file. My assumption then is that, unless all of those parts that get combined with the font are also under the SIL OFL, we’ll run afoul of the license. Their FAQ also makes the distinction between aggregating and integrating the font into software, though it doesn’t address this particular use case.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

I’ve thusfar rejected fonts under the SIL Open Font License because of Condition 5 of the license:

1. The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole,
      must be distributed entirely under this license, and must not be
      distributed under any other license. The requirement for fonts to
      remain under this license does not apply to any document created
      using the Font Software.

When we integrate a font into the game, it gets embedded into a SWF movie, which is in turn imported into a UE3 package, which is in turn cooked into a cooked startup package along with a number of other things. We can’t merely aggregate the fonts with the game as a separate TTF file. My assumption then is that, unless all of those parts that get combined with the font are also under the SIL OFL, we’ll run afoul of the license. Their FAQ also makes the distinction between aggregating and integrating the font into software, though it doesn’t address this particular use case.

First, thx for feedback to my question consistently. I didn’t know that about font license is very complicated issue. After read your feedback, I try to find extremly free Korean font, but can’t find yet.

So i have some question to you. I wonder if patched Asian fonts are OFL based fonts. Additionally, UE3 engine already include basic Korean font, doesn’t it? I will wait for your respond. Thx.

• Developer

The TTF fonts included with UE3 are just Bitstream Vera, which have even fewer glyphs than we have (and no, no Korean glyphs).

For reference, the fonts I’ve merged together are:

• DejaVu Sans and DejaVu Serif (for Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, and others). These are based on Bitstream Vera, but have far more glyphs. These fonts are under the Bitstream Vera license. The only requirements for this are that we don’t use the name “Bitstream Vera” to refer to the new font, and that we include the license with the game.

• Droid fonts from the Android Open Source Project (for Chinese, Japanese, and a few others). These are under the Apache License 2.0, which is again very free.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

The TTF fonts included with UE3 are just Bitstream Vera, which have even fewer glyphs than we have (and no, no Korean glyphs).

For reference, the fonts I’ve merged together are:

• DejaVu Sans and DejaVu Serif (for Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, and others). These are based on Bitstream Vera, but have far more glyphs. These fonts are under the Bitstream Vera license. The only requirements for this are that we don’t use the name “Bitstream Vera” to refer to the new font, and that we include the license with the game.

• Droid fonts from the Android Open Source Project (for Chinese, Japanese, and a few others). These are under the Apache License 2.0, which is again very free.

I found that Droid fonts already support for Chinese, Japanese, Korean.
    You can see reference data here : http://www.droidfonts.com/droidfonts/
    Quote : “Support for CJK is provided by the Droid Sans “fallback” font. This font contains over 43,000 glyphs and includes support for Simplified Chinese (GB2312), Traditional Chinese (Big 5), Japanese (JIS 0208) and Korean (KSC 5601). This font uses the Simplified Chinese ideographs for shared Unicode code points.”

That is, Droid Sans Fallback font contains Korean font.
    I want to see that newly Chivalry patch contains Korean font. Thx.

• Developer

I used Droid Sans Fallback, or at least the one provided in AOSP (that’s where the Chinese and Japanese glyphs come from). I’ll look around the AOSP repo and see if maybe there’s another version or something.

• Developer

(I see the Korean characters. Working on it)

• Developer

Voila. Korean characters. Looks like the Droid font that contains Korean characters does not contain all of the traditional Chinese characters that the other one does, but that looks like the only trade-off (hopefully)

• Thx for Korean language patch! And all Korean character can be typed no errors.
    Now, our Koreans can chat each other to Korean. It’s also help more Koreans play to chivalry.
    Again, I appreciate very much to you. Really thx.

• I’d like to start working on the French version with a fresh batch of files. Would it be possible to have the English language files as to have a proper version please.

Thank you and have a good week end!

• Developer

@Unfa:

I’d like to start working on the French version with a fresh batch of files. Would it be possible to have the English language files as to have a proper version please.

Thank you and have a good week end!

Added: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=18638