What if panic parry didn't break combo's

• @jrmftw:

@burst6:

A big problem with the game IMO is that there are only two ways to actually win a fight. Either trick your enemy, or drain their stamina. Because stamina takes so long to drain and in the end only gets you one hit, you have to spaz out and make yourself as unpredictable as possible. There just isn’t a high skill ceiling built into the game.

I think a lot of this has to do with the easy way you can avoid attack recovery now.
    It used to be so beautiful to take advantage of a poorly judged swing and punish them when they missed, or get punished by their continued combo or other well executed move (yes, simple dragging).
    Now, it seems lost with these constant parries, that people will resort to anything else to combat it, which just so happens to look like they’ve fallen into a room of crystal meth.

Baring this conversation in mind ^

I came up with the idea that it would be good if being ‘panic parried’ did not prevent you from completing a combo.

The guy who did the panic parry can try and hit trade or he can do a genuine parry on the following combo attack (further costing him stamina).

This would save on time wasting as you’d be able to drain stamina faster and punish panic parries more, but at the same time the guy that did the panic parry has some control of the situation, though still at a disadvantage.

Edit:
    So effectively,
    What if panic parry DID NOT return an attacker to his resting state the way that a proper parry does.

• If they really did implement that. Everyone will die in less than 10 seconds.

Due to the fact that blocking 1 attack is already hard for some people. Let alone block a few more.

It is an interesting thought. But people will just drop.

• how would the panic parry know the difference between 1 attack and a combo anyway? It would be a buggy mess.

plus as the other said, people would just drop to having no stamina, if you panic parried, their combo attack will come at you again, you would be forced to keep parrying an unending chain of combos, get drained of stamina, get stun locked and hit… rinse and repeat.

Plus as i said the parry wouldn’t know whether you’re comboing or not… and what about getting struck by multiple opponents at once, say bye bye to parrying multiple attacks in a row.

Maa may be the only class able to survive by using dodge after parrying an initial attack, but that would most likely result in either getting hit by the combo after dodging, or taking a hit trade.

Just didn’t think this idea all the way through, but this is what would happen.

• That’s silly. Even without riposte speed it would be easy to interrupt the attacker’s combo if he’s using anything but the fastest onehanders, and if he doesn’t combo you can even land a hit in his own recovery. This goes further towards ‘convoluted/unnecessary depth’ rather than away from it.

I’m still waiting for panic parry to just get removed. It’s frustrating not to be able to directly punish a sloppy swing but instead only have the prospect of maybe getting a free hit if you wail on that parry/block some more. It feels so unnatural to me I forget to use it.

• @clayton-bigsby:

how would the panic parry know the difference between 1 attack and a combo anyway? It would be a buggy mess.

plus as the other said, people would just drop to having no stamina, if you panic parried, their combo attack will come at you again, you would be forced to keep parrying an unending chain of combos, get drained of stamina, get stun locked and hit… rinse and repeat.

Plus as i said the parry wouldn’t know whether you’re comboing or not… and what about getting struck by multiple opponents at once, say bye bye to parrying multiple attacks in a row.

Maa may be the only class able to survive by using dodge after parrying an initial attack, but that would most likely result in either getting hit by the combo after dodging, or taking a hit trade.

Just didn’t think this idea all the way through, but this is what would happen.

Addressing your first point:
    (setting the scene Player B makes a bad attack which does not make contact (out of range))
    Player A starts a combo
    Player B does a panic parry. Player A does NOT score damage but does not have the combo interrupted and does not return to the resting state
    Player A continues to combo with his second attack
    Player B can do a genuine parry OR start his own attack and try for a hit trade

I can see where your coming from though, maybe ‘Panic parries’ should not cause ‘flinch’ to any attack. (by flinch i mean return the attacker back to the resting state)

If you consider this deeply i think you’ll see that it’s a good idea as this mechanic would reward the attack who has overcome/overpower his opponent rather then just setting the melee back to square 1 with the defender losing only stamina and not the upper hand so to speak.

This should result in more decisive play whilst still giving the defender a chance to try and come back from his weak position.

• i thought about what i said afterwards about the genuine parry happening, i had the weird assumption while i was typing that that all parries were panic, but yeah the genuine parries would happen with ability to riposte still. All panics would get punished by most likely 2 hits. I still think its a bad idea. I was hoping that no one caught my bad mistake in thought train.

i would like to test removing combo parry, keeping recovery parry, and reinstating cftp without riposte but the same ability as recovery parry after parry, so basically after cftp, it would be the same as recovery parry time for next attack.

Also, flinch mechanic in general needs work first, it’s so broken. Today during scrim, we actually won this round but something totally weird happened regarding flinch… i hit a player while he was standing still in the back becuase he was concerned about another player in front of him and i got behind him, he hadn’t wound up yet or anything, and i hit him from behind in the back overhead, and he got a poke off and hit me and i died. this was like milliseconds after the hit, all i know is he hadn’t even animated a windup yet, and i saw who kiled me via killfeed.

Only 2 members left, him and someone that was already had 2-3 people on them melee at least a quarter of the arena map away. RIDICULOOOS

• I don’t think it would be hard to defend yourself from Player B’s position, but it would cost time and you’d lose stamina and initiative, but then if you’ve made a bad mistake you should be punished for it and you should have to earn the initiative back, not be given it back as a freebie.
    I don’t think the current cost of panic parry is significant enough because although you lose a fair bit of stamina the initiative is then reset for both players and the encounter starts again but with one player down on stamina, but that doesn’t stop them running away or stalling to try and get back in control of the stamina situation.

The other thing is everyone is saying how 1 vs many is too hard now. This would give the player the opportunity to defeat someone really fast.