Can we have smarter BOTs?

• Dear Torn Banner,

I and my son really enjoy you game and it is almost a daily activity for both of us to game together in Chivalry using the Dedicated Server. We will fight each other or work hand in hand against the BOTs. But despite the latest update, there is no improvement for BOTs performance. We really hope you can work on the erratic BOTs behaviour to give us another level of true quality gaming experience. Your game scored 9 out of 10 for me and I look forward to giving you a perfect 10 soon.

• I agree bots need work. I would also like to have a real “dummy” type that just stand around without doing anything for offline testing purposes.

• those types of dummies are called peasants.

• Or rank 0 archers. :D

• it would be great if there was ajustments for their jumping, strafing, intesity and accuracy and difficulty etc etc.
    i am all for this. it would deff make coop servers way more fun and intense.

• The bots are pretty sad for now. Last I checked, they have completely forgotten the ability to parry. They don’t work in team objectives (stand around doing nothing). Very limited selection of map.

I hate being dependant on online communities nowadays so I’d love the bots to get some work. Besides, the game will die sooner or later (or be taken over by clannies or pros, or every serers will have various game breaking mods, which means I won’t be playing no longer), so having good bots is the only way the game will remain a game I’ll come back to later.

• Dear Torn Banner,

Hope you can work on this matter as we serious supporter and lover of this game definitely have a bone to pick with you for letting this imperfectness continued. Hope you can put in a bit more of your mentioned PASSION to make us all happier and truly satisfied customer. Thank you.

• Im pretty sure the Bots were better at release. I dont know if they ever blocked, but atleast they were using feints.

• My guess would be that the bots´ ability to feint was affected when they shortened the feint window. So whenever the AI wants to feint, they are already past the point of feint-able windup.

Bots are pretty bad at this game. But AI is really tricks, in a game like this upping the Bot-AI could be a ton of work… and I doubt it is even possible to ever get it above the level of mid-level Chiv player. They will probably always be a cakewalk for any advanced player.

• If it is possible by using the SDK, some talented users could do it.

• @TOKCT78:

Dear Torn Banner,

Hope you can work on this matter as we serious supporter and lover of this game definitely have a bone to pick with you for letting this imperfectness continued. Hope you can put in a bit more of your mentioned PASSION to make us all happier and truly satisfied customer. Thank you.

Are you referring to the new splash screen? I had to laugh when I read that cheesy slogan.

Better bots would be nice, but it sounds to me like the kind of thing that isn’t easily done. I don’t mind if they improve them at some point but I think/hope TB is more concerned with generic bugfixing and things relating to online play.

• Its not really a Bot game. The Bots are pretty good for an indie game developer but it doesnt take long to surpass them with a few cheap tricks.

• Trust me, these bots are a god send compared to what they were like in Age of Chivalry, Chiv’s predecessor. AOC bots would just wonder around, spin in place, get stuck on stuff, just swung randomly, never parried and there was no feint. At least these bots will feint ya. If you want more of a challenge. Add lots more bots. I suggest 30 vs you. That is much more challenging.

• @Don_Kanaille:

My guess would be that the bots´ ability to feint was affected when they shortened the feint window. So whenever the AI wants to feint, they are already past the point of feint-able windup.

Bots are pretty bad at this game. But AI is really tricks, in a game like this upping the Bot-AI could be a ton of work… and I doubt it is even possible to ever get it above the level of mid-level Chiv player. They will probably always be a cakewalk for any advanced player.

Despite my hatred for programmations, there are things like this that makes me wish I would learn it strictly for AI programming. I mean we’re not talking robots here: game AI has access to so many things so easily that I don’t see how, logically, can it be THAT difficult to make a decent AI.

Will they always be a cakewalk for any advanced player, most likely. We don’t need THAT much, though.

The idea of AIs that can use all of the game’s mechanics however isn’t something I consider far-fetched. Being able to seek and complete objectives, to work as a team, to choose more movement options than just “standing there and swing”, to decide to block, attack, what sort of attacks, retreat, team up… I mean, I’ve seen really impressive AI that could do a lot of such things even pre-2000.

It does need work, however. Not just one guy scratching a few lines over the course of 10 hours.

I’d be happy if they knew how to block, how to react and cancel into a parry, and tried to attack you in more unique ways, all the while being able to navigate every maps properly and be able to complete their objectives or properly defend against them.

Its not outside of the realm of possibilities. People can keep saying they’re just indies. Everything back in the days was an indie compared to today, with much smaller teams in average making miracles.

• @gregcau:

Its not really a Bot game. The Bots are pretty good for an indie game developer but it doesnt take long to surpass them with a few cheap tricks.

by cheap tricks do you mean attacking them? They don’t block anything.

• I’ve noticed this with a lot of multiplayer games these days.
    Unreal Tournament, a game that’s 14 years old had bots that were scale-able and almost more difficult than real players on godlike settings.
    They could attack and defend really really well on assault mode too.

Surely, they can program the bots in this game just a tad, so they can actually at-least complete game modes.

• @jrmftw:

I’ve noticed this with a lot of multiplayer games these days.
    Unreal Tournament, a game that’s 14 years old had bots that were scale-able and almost more difficult than real players on godlike settings.
    They could attack and defend really really well on assault mode too.

Surely, they can program the bots in this game just a tad, so they can actually at-least complete game modes.

Not to forget Counter Strike. The bots are deadly and cool and they can learn new maps fast. Battlefield 2142 bots are also nice especially with their shotgun and in their mech.

• The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

• @Xylvion:

The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

You’re joking…

• @Xylvion:

The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

Hi Xylvion, are you talking about Counter Strike bot or Chivalry bot? So far only bot with fire arrow can shoot on target from my play experience.