Can we have smarter BOTs?

• I’ve noticed this with a lot of multiplayer games these days.
    Unreal Tournament, a game that’s 14 years old had bots that were scale-able and almost more difficult than real players on godlike settings.
    They could attack and defend really really well on assault mode too.

Surely, they can program the bots in this game just a tad, so they can actually at-least complete game modes.

• @jrmftw:

I’ve noticed this with a lot of multiplayer games these days.
    Unreal Tournament, a game that’s 14 years old had bots that were scale-able and almost more difficult than real players on godlike settings.
    They could attack and defend really really well on assault mode too.

Surely, they can program the bots in this game just a tad, so they can actually at-least complete game modes.

Not to forget Counter Strike. The bots are deadly and cool and they can learn new maps fast. Battlefield 2142 bots are also nice especially with their shotgun and in their mech.

• The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

• @Xylvion:

The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

You’re joking…

• @Xylvion:

The bots are way to hard for me now, every time I try an attack it’s a hit trade. the Archers got like some superaimbot so yeah, I think i’ll stick to regular players.

Hi Xylvion, are you talking about Counter Strike bot or Chivalry bot? So far only bot with fire arrow can shoot on target from my play experience.

• Unreal Tournament, a game that’s 14 years old had bots that were scale-able and almost more difficult than real players on godlike settings.
    They could attack and defend really really well on assault mode too

^^ so true unreal 99 was the game that started multyplayer for me, those bots were awesomely tuneable, no game even comes close the mods and skins and custom maps that unreal has, u could be any 1 from golum to big bird and you could play 10 maps a day for the rest of your life and never even come close to playing all the maps in that game.

i still play it today, its got more servers then this game does after only 9 months by far. its amazing what mods will do for a games life span!

the bots on my cmw server are pretty good, they have learned to combo also which makes it exciting.

• +1 to this thread.

• +1 –You can never make the bots too hard.

• It’d be nice if some of the official TO servers had bots to keep the player count at a minimum of 6 on each side.

• Indeed, it’d be awesome if AI could be improved to the point that bots in online play would have a use.

Would love to see servers using a script to add/remove them to fill out teams when underpopulated.
    I’m pretty sure you can do that now but it’d be pointless, since all they’d do is run around friendly-firing, forgetting how to parry and getting stuck in random locations.

• If at least the bots could run around spamming screams for help and other such fun things it’d certainly add to the atmosphere.

• I feel like the BOTs are probably a low priority, and then you have to consider how difficult it may or may not be to actually improve the AI.

• @giantyak:

If at least the bots could run around spamming screams for help and other such fun things it’d certainly add to the atmosphere.

That would be a very cool addition.

• +1 and turning teamdamage off eliminates this guys, its so easy and makes the game way better.

• @WARSAW:

+1 and turning teamdamage off eliminates this guys, its so easy and makes the game way better.

but dont you agree over all that having team damage off is just shear LMB spamming in a crowd with no skills required? Once people figure out that they can hurt their teammate and vise verse they tend to be more careful and gain those skills. Tk damage off does nothing to build those skills.

It also looks like they removed the player count on servers if you have Bots running… that kind of sucks as that would help get a server going… oh well…

• Nah, turning TD off doesn’t foster any real bad behavior. You get the one or two ten year olds that will go off to the side and beat each other down, but when the server is really cooking, you barely notice them. By not having TK and TD, you reduce a lot of the childish behavior in the chat and don’t have the VK issues (if you even choose to have this on) experienced by so many. It is not nearly as bad as it sounds. As to LMB spamming, I’m not sure anything helps this other than time and experience and the current environment that the TD system has created just punishes inexperience. I’ve been playing almost 400 hours and when on servers with no TD, it is nice not to have to get annoyed with someone for a mistake, especially when they are likely new.

Due to the current environment many are describing, it is one of the few times it is probably better to tune down the realism if it prevents yet more hate and trolling in game. I find TOs on no TD servers tend to be friendlier. It is a healthier form of competition.

The bots do a great job for FFA, but are still not tuned for team matches most of the time. It would be great if this were improved as they provide a good challenge when they do work. Without the bot names posted, people often do not care what they are fighting, as long as they are killing something on screen and having a good time.