Training Feedback.

• There is a training mode I just started on. You have to console command it from the menu: open tut-training.

It is only intended for one player, so no loading it up on a server unless you want to break it completely.

The first areas enable tracers and damage values, so you can see what the combat is all about. There is Range training, Duel with a bot, Parry Training (offensive bot with unlimited health) and Offensive training. The main door leads to a gauntlet where you fight increasingly difficult rooms of enemies.

This is one weeks worth of work, so don’t comment on art.

Flow, Design, anything else you can come up with for feedback. All is welcome. Let me know what you guys think.

• Mod

I think you should move the archer range to be directly facing the multiple enemies room.
    Replace the archer range room with a room with a single pole that takes damage but never breaks so that people could practice placing their swings down on a non moving target.

I Also loved the classic arcade level progression on the multiple enmies
    but was slaughtered on the very last phase after several tries getting past the one before it :D
    When they all charge out… that is very terrific… or terrible XD I havn’t decided yet.

If anyone manages to get past that step please let me know what happened D:

• open tut-training still doesn’t work for me (neither do any of the other maps I might add)
    This time it keeps telling me my connection to host has been lost

• Provide unlimited ammo in the archery training.

Make the parry training bot attack more often and perhaps the ability to increase or decrease its speed.

Give the shield bot in offensive training unlimited stamina. Or have him drop his guard to regenerate sometimes.

Prohibit the dueling bot to leave the area (he self-destructs in this event). If possible, make him more challenging or have multiple tiers of dueling bots progressively harder and harder.

If possible, make multiple foes bots a bit smarter, or prevent them from damaging each other. Often they would simply TK themselves. The archers in the second area should switch to swords before you get in range to attack.

• I like the idea for this type of tutorial and it’s the perfect thing to have for a multiplayer focused game. A nice safe area to test out different weapons and ideas.

An ammo crate in the archer area would be good. Also while bot difficulty sounds good on the surface that requires a lot of programming work, and making good AI is not easy. (unless it’s just flat HP increase :P)

Having a more advanced tutorial room explaining high level mechanics like feint parry in windup, dragging, short and long kick, attacking around blocks, etc. Would help get the average player quicker up to speed.

• This is extremely necessary and a good addition. All you need is a few areas to cover feint to parry, combo feint, ducking, leaning back, and a stationary melee target to practice range of weapons.
    I feel like bot AI is very unforgiving and does not represent how chivalry players are, mostly the archers / melee are far too accurate. For example, when fighting AI archers, they almost always land their shots unless you give them your attention immediately. Same with the pirate. When I got to the pirate room, I had just rounded the corner and got shot for almost all my hp. The other thing would be they stab through each other without care, and do so very accurately despite the mesh typically being a visible obstruction.

Otherwise, this tutorial is exactly what we need. That and in-game accurate stat representation of weapons. Please put that into the game for players to use, so many people have no idea damage / armor model of this game, and won’t go to the spreadsheet to look it up because it’s too inconvenient.

• It is supposed to activate god mode on the range training, giving you unlimited ammo. Ammo crates are likely being phased out in favor of reliably being able to pick up your projectiles, though that may change. I don’t think I will be covering some of the more advanced techniques such as feint to parry, ducking, etc… Though the stationary dummy is a good idea. I want to keep this as a sandbox to learn in, without (too much) scripting and camera locking, which the Chivalry Tutorial suffered badly from. The current format is much easier to debug and make changes to.

The bot AI is certainly WIP. They currently do not switch to melee at close range when using a ranged weapon, and they are either too aggressive, or do not notice you.

EDIT: Unlimited Ammo totally works. It shows an ammo counter, but resets when it hits zero.

• So far I really like it. :D . Fighting ai is loads of fun, some ai maps for fun would be a smash. Be it solo or a team. Say like a really big fortress with diff ai areas. I made post about ai maps in the suggestions awhile ago about a dota type ai map.
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12171&hilit=+dota

Glad to know the unlim amno works. I played the training mode about an hour and got to the area of the gauntlet where enemies come out of sliding doors, I think its the 5th engagement. I reaallly love this idea. One thing chiv lacks atm is variety from pvp. Ai modes are nice and kick back, your not always rush rush rushing like in pvp.

This is way better then my dummy map idea too.

Make sure to include a area where the dummy stands still so players can lazily test out all their weapons, look at their newly unlocked weapons damage values, test out where to hit to get those head shots, body shots.

The parry dummies are ok but a dummy standing still lets you kick back relax and try some stuff out.

My dummy suggestion, you already pretty much have everything I suggested and much more!

Dummies standing still and spamming attacks would be nice so you can test out the reach of a aggressor.

Also different colors for the different kind of hits landed, limb, body, head.

An area to test charge attack.

@knil
    Yeah especially short and long kick, alot of players have no clue about long kick, I hope its a t least in the hints of the normal game.

p.s. I know this isn’t intended to be a ai map its just for fun but I thought I would throw it out there :).

• This is a really cool mode. I just wonder if regular Chivalry will have a version of this as well? I had a lot of fun doing the Gauntlet Missions.

I wont lie I got stomped by the AI like 10 times on the last bossfight (1000000000000 AI pretty much) In order for me to finish the final mission, I glitched my self into the ROOM at the very back. The enemy AI decided to come in 1-3 at a time, making the fight much easier.

(The Pirate sniped me like a dirty Heavy Crossbow a heap as well!)

I cant help but imagine where we can take something like this. Into a mode of co-op HORDE mode. 4 Chiv Players against, endless waves.

Would be really cool!

Anyway, early days. Looking great cant wait to see more work Andrew!

• Yeah I’ve had a lot of fun testing this level.

The “Advanced Mode” rooms were awesome and really made me master Spartan combat, then I realised you could switch classes at the ranged mode room so I could try it with the others.

• The gauntlet is a blast!
    the unique layout of each room as you progress forward keeps things fresh and the final room would be an absolute nightmare (in the best way possible) if the bots actually all noticed you.

An excellent way of trying all the weapons or having some good fun with the bots :D

• There are vast improvements coming up for this.

A visualization room for tracers against a dummy

More dummies in the starting area.

Screen hints (Text now, will be some kind of UI in the future. Yes you can skip/disable them)

Parry boxes for the parry bots

Tracers for the attack bot

Fully Supported archery range

Updated Gauntlet

Signs everywhere

More to come….

-MIGHT- be in the Saturday build.

• Good stuff Andrew, sounds like it’s going to be an awesome tutorial.

• Looking good post update, however I can’t seem to get missile training working? Pressing “E” as per the sign but nothing happens.

• @Dr:

Looking good post update, however I can’t seem to get missile training working? Pressing “E” as per the sign but nothing happens.

This update was just for pax. no changes to training yet ( I have them all locally)

Saturday most likely.

• @Andrew:

@Dr:

Looking good post update, however I can’t seem to get missile training working? Pressing “E” as per the sign but nothing happens.

This update was just for pax. no changes to training yet ( I have them all locally)

Saturday most likely.

Training looks a lot different now, with signs and more rooms and stuff. However I couldn’t get missile room working.

• I think that the Training map is a good start of something that would be perfect for newcommers to Deadliest Warrior, even for Chivalry if I may say so. Sorry to get a bit off-topic, though this is an excellent idea that should also be available in Chivalry : Medieval Warfare training mode, cause face it guys, it needs a re-do after all the patches, and a little “Free-space” for any newcommers to play around with could be excellent for them to test out things on an enviroment where they decide. Anyways, I did a map like this myself back in Age of Chivalry, that had several course that would simulate enviroment of something online, I believe a weaponary to choose Any weapon you want in that section could be needed, also perhaps some high advanced AI bots for those who think they are prepare for that. Archery training area is also an good idea.

overall, good idea. bit of details and ect to the map to make it look less “Debug/testish” could be nice, but I guess its suppose to be like that though.

• @wildwulfy:

I think that the Training map is a good start of something that would be perfect for newcommers to Deadliest Warrior, even for Chivalry if I may say so. Sorry to get a bit off-topic, though this is an excellent idea that should also be available in Chivalry : Medieval Warfare training mode, cause face it guys, it needs a re-do after all the patches, and a little “Free-space” for any newcommers to play around with could be excellent for them to test out things on an enviroment where they decide. Anyways, I did a map like this myself back in Age of Chivalry, that had several course that would simulate enviroment of something online, I believe a weaponary to choose Any weapon you want in that section could be needed, also perhaps some high advanced AI bots for those who think they are prepare for that. Archery training area is also an good idea.

overall, good idea. bit of details and ect to the map to make it look less “Debug/testish” could be nice, but I guess its suppose to be like that though.

There will be better art, more refined room layouts, and UI elements to replace the draw text. Beyond that, we want to keep it simple and open. More of a sandbox training that doesn’t force you from one room to the next.