Rage quitting

• It takes a hell of a lot to get me worked up, But some things will chip away at me. Like if I was to be consistently killed each time I exit spawn by archers and my team wasn’t doing anything to get the objective done. It’ll take awhile but once I reach that point, I’ll snap and either slam my mouse down on my mousepad or attempt to snap my keyboard (So glad it’s so sturdy) I’ve only reached that point twice.

• I played Starcraft 2 for the last couple years. Let me tell you, I left that game because of how mad I got when I lost. I do mostly duels and I don’t really get upset when I die. It might be because I’m fairly new. I’m more curious as to why I lost instead of getting upset about losing. I hope it stays that way.

More or less, I came to this game to not be so angry while I’m playing.

• Seems like alot of people just need to relax. Especially badgers in TO games that constantly push the team to win at all costs, even if it means steamrolling over three objects in 5 minutes. I like to hang back and slay or hunt for a while before I start pushing on objectives. Unless we’re losing horribly. Even then it’s no big deal (to me) if we lose. There are no rewards that I know of for winning games, just for smiting your foes. It’s all in good fun!

If one particular player outplayed me enough times to remember his name, I don’t take it to heart. Good play, well done. They may have had a slight advantage at times due to lag spikes on my end or my PC having graphics tantrums, but that’s still no reason to flip out and act like a turd and ruin everyone elses fun. If I feel like I’m just not in the zone and dying in pathetic situations, I don’t blame the game or anyone else. I’ll quietly quit, freeing up my slot for someone else to jump in.

Good guy me!

• @SOC:

This thread makes me love who I am. A high rank very skilled pubstomper who loves to talk trash and be arrogant against his inferiors. Ahh, I love it. Keep rage quitting for me, it’s so sweet and satisfying. This is the epitome of satisfaction and contentment on the internet.

I never rage quit. I always finish the match out no matter what, unless my ping spikes like crazy 'cause of my bad net. The first step to improving is understanding what you’re doing wrong and keeping your cool. The moment you let your self rage is the moment you fall into habits and go into “auto-pilot” mode and stop thinking and actively mind gaming your opponent. It happens to everyone sometimes, but you have to avoid it as much as possible to beat the best of us.

Yea, we’ve seen you be elitist, it’s so cool. In reality, you would be a lot more scary if you said nothing, people freak out at silent bad asses. Anyways just my thoughts is whenever I’m in a server with you, you are pretty quick to get involved in trash talking and verbal fights, just seems really unbecoming of someone from a comp clan. I’m not perfect but don’t be proud of being a douche…

• @Shack:

^ Whoa, hey Jr.

God, rage mode is such an ambiguous term for someone like me, because I either pull up that ‘rage persona’ for laughs, or I’m seriously upset.

But when I do genuinely rage, it’s usually when people start an argument with me about the brandistock’s power. Even after patch, some people who consistently lose to my brandistock call it overpowered. The worst part is that there is rarely an explanation behind it, it’s just broken record “brandicock OP lol use a sword.” THEN I USE A SWORD AND WIN AND THEY’RE LIKE “SWORD OP LOL USE A SPEAR”

I can never fucking please the comp scene.

Don’t worry about it, people are always touchy about dying to a weapon post patch because patches take fucking forever to be released, so it’s easy to get caught up in the whole comp scene arguments of what weapons are OP and such and it’s hard to let go of those thoughts after the patch. Also if people are mad because you killed them, you’re doing something right.

• @?B:

Yea, we’ve seen you be elitist, it’s so cool. In reality, you would be a lot more scary if you said nothing, people freak out at silent bad asses. Anyways just my thoughts is whenever I’m in a server with you, you are pretty quick to get involved in trash talking and verbal fights, just seems really unbecoming of someone from a comp clan. I’m not perfect but don’t be proud of being a douche…

I don’t really care what others think of me, so talking trash in game without my clan tag on means I’m not representing my clan at all. :) I love trash talking and being apart of it, it’s just a fun past time in any online multiplayer game. Besides, if you think I’m good now, you should see me on good internet.

• I lose my cool when I feel nothing but bullshit happens. Weapon obviously out of range hitting you, attacking so easy to parry yet it completely does not parry it, you attack someone from behind while they’re attacking someone else yet THEY PARRY your attacks… when any of those things lead to my death it infuriates me to no end.

Basically, I hate when the game says “fuck you, you die”. Not because I felt like I made a mistake, but the game is just against me. This also, ironically, is what happens sometimes when I get killed by archers. He was there, a million miles away, he just popped out, and shot me in the head. What could I have done? Absolutely nothing. Javelin? Nothing. Crossbow? Nothing. Your death is entirely out of your control when you face those, EVEN if you have a shield (but I never do). Which leads to frustration.

There’s a lot of that in the game for me, unfortunately.

So I often just start whining to myself a lot when this happens like a grumpy old man. When that starts happening for too long, I know I just won’t have any fun so I end up leaving.

(God I wish there were FAR more no-archer servers.)

• I haven’t really posted much on the TBS forums, mainly lurked although I’ve sometimes posted in the Steam forums for the game. I just felt compelled to reply with my perspective.

I’m what you would call that stage just beyond n00b. I know the mechanics, I put time into the game to try to unlock all of the weapon trees (I only have Knight to finish), but I have yet to truly master any one weapon or class. I’m okay at parrying, blocking the average player, but if it’s a seasoned veteran, or a 3 on 1 assault in the vein of the WWE’s SHIELD stable of wrestlers, I’m pretty much boned. I work a 10 hour shift nearly every day so I put in maybe an hour or two a night unless I’m playing something else or out. I’m trying to learn some of the more advanced things like steering swords even after swinging, or better aiming blocks, and so on. Some of the goofier stuff that borders on “Really?” I’ll probably never learn. (Don’t worry I have a point, and I’m getting there)

I find some of the whining or raging justified when it’s pretty much proven there’s a cheater, or griefers. Most people play games to unwind or have fun, and these trolls ruin their fun to have fun. But in the end it just kills games. Chivalry is no exception to this. In my case there are two cases where I will flat out flip a crap on people, and not just in this game but any game involving DM/TDM/Objective style modes.

The first is Spawn Killing. I don’t care if it’s Chivalry, Battlefield, Quake, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, or Doom. Players (Especially people just starting out) should at the very least have 15-30 seconds to get their bearings. It is so annoying to die before you can even press a button. For many people I know who don’t have a lot of play time due to other life commitments (Spouse, kids, bills, etc.) it makes it pointless to bother playing. If they only get an hour a week to play a game, ANY game why should that hour be frustrating? Sure sometimes this is unavoidable if you happen to spawn near 8 guys with swords duking it out, and if you attack someone right after you start, and lose the conflict it’s totally on you. But If I can’t even BREATHE before getting to move a step I get upset.
    I make a point when playing to skip over anyone I see appear in front of me out of thin air. If I die because of it so be it, I’d rather lose the round, and be considered a class act, than say “By hook or by crook” and be known as the guy who can only win by being an underhanded jerk. I don’t say this to judge anyone, again, just my perspective. TLDR: Spawn killing is cheap, and pisses people off.

The second are people who REFUSE to play objective roles properly. I always ran into this playing Battlefield too, so again, not so much a Chivalry problem, as it is behavioral. Look, it’s fun to go around slaying people or using the vehicular weapons like catapults. I get that, and acknowledge that. But if you’re just going to goof around, and play grabass there’s a Deathmatch mode for that. Hop on, go kill whoever, and who cares? But in Objective mode, most of us (I would think at least) whether or not we are Joe six pack softcore gamer or always serious Johnathan Wendel wannabe gamer want to win. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to win. Is it everything? Hell no. But if you’re on a team even if you’re horrible like I am you should want to try. So yes I get mad at guys who deliberately team kill or who are too focused on their own K/D to bother keeping the wheat fields from getting torched or the corpse wagon from poisoning the water supply. If everyone sits on the objective, and still dies trying I feel happier than I do winning in spite of those people. Maybe it’s just me. TLDR: Stop playing grabass, and stop them from destroying even the first target!

Where I don’t get the complaining is over classes. Archers are SUPPOSED to shoot arrows, and spears. If you flank them, or get in close they die in one or two hits tops. Vanguards may spam their charge, but if you circle strafe, and duck often times they’re too winded to withstand a combo. Knights are powerful, and have high damage, but they’re slow. (I’ve died more times as Knight as anything else, but still have heard many gripes over that one hit hammer). Man At Arms is pretty well rounded, but like the Archer goes down pretty fast once you anticipate dodges.

Despite this I always have so much fun with this game I keep coming back.

• @TheDeviot:

I haven’t really posted much on the TBS forums, mainly lurked although I’ve sometimes posted in the Steam forums for the game. I just felt compelled to reply with my perspective.

I’m what you would call that stage just beyond n00b. I know the mechanics, I put time into the game to try to unlock all of the weapon trees (I only have Knight to finish), but I have yet to truly master any one weapon or class. I’m okay at parrying, blocking the average player, but if it’s a seasoned veteran, or a 3 on 1 assault in the vein of the WWE’s SHIELD stable of wrestlers, I’m pretty much boned. I work a 10 hour shift nearly every day so I put in maybe an hour or two a night unless I’m playing something else or out. I’m trying to learn some of the more advanced things like steering swords even after swinging, or better aiming blocks, and so on. Some of the goofier stuff that borders on “Really?” I’ll probably never learn. (Don’t worry I have a point, and I’m getting there)

I find some of the whining or raging justified when it’s pretty much proven there’s a cheater, or griefers. Most people play games to unwind or have fun, and these trolls ruin their fun to have fun. But in the end it just kills games. Chivalry is no exception to this. In my case there are two cases where I will flat out flip a crap on people, and not just in this game but any game involving DM/TDM/Objective style modes.

The first is Spawn Killing. I don’t care if it’s Chivalry, Battlefield, Quake, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, or Doom. Players (Especially people just starting out) should at the very least have 15-30 seconds to get their bearings. It is so annoying to die before you can even press a button. For many people I know who don’t have a lot of play time due to other life commitments (Spouse, kids, bills, etc.) it makes it pointless to bother playing. If they only get an hour a week to play a game, ANY game why should that hour be frustrating? Sure sometimes this is unavoidable if you happen to spawn near 8 guys with swords duking it out, and if you attack someone right after you start, and lose the conflict it’s totally on you. But If I can’t even BREATHE before getting to move a step I get upset.
    I make a point when playing to skip over anyone I see appear in front of me out of thin air. If I die because of it so be it, I’d rather lose the round, and be considered a class act, than say “By hook or by crook” and be known as the guy who can only win by being an underhanded jerk. I don’t say this to judge anyone, again, just my perspective. TLDR: Spawn killing is cheap, and pisses people off.

The second are people who REFUSE to play objective roles properly. I always ran into this playing Battlefield too, so again, not so much a Chivalry problem, as it is behavioral. Look, it’s fun to go around slaying people or using the vehicular weapons like catapults. I get that, and acknowledge that. But if you’re just going to goof around, and play grabass there’s a Deathmatch mode for that. Hop on, go kill whoever, and who cares? But in Objective mode, most of us (I would think at least) whether or not we are Joe six pack softcore gamer or always serious Johnathan Wendel wannabe gamer want to win. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to win. Is it everything? Hell no. But if you’re on a team even if you’re horrible like I am you should want to try. So yes I get mad at guys who deliberately team kill or who are too focused on their own K/D to bother keeping the wheat fields from getting torched or the corpse wagon from poisoning the water supply. If everyone sits on the objective, and still dies trying I feel happier than I do winning in spite of those people. Maybe it’s just me. TLDR: Stop playing grabass, and stop them from destroying even the first target!

Where I don’t get the complaining is over classes. Archers are SUPPOSED to shoot arrows, and spears. If you flank them, or get in close they die in one or two hits tops. Vanguards may spam their charge, but if you circle strafe, and duck often times they’re too winded to withstand a combo. Knights are powerful, and have high damage, but they’re slow. (I’ve died more times as Knight as anything else, but still have heard many gripes over that one hit hammer). Man At Arms is pretty well rounded, but like the Archer goes down pretty fast once you anticipate dodges.

Despite this I always have so much fun with this game I keep coming back.

All of this.

Especially with archers. We all know it’s annoying to get shot in the throat from an arrow you never saw coming but this should be expected by now. If you make yourself a target, you’re going to get shot. People should know where archers like to perch and that most times they can be outflanked, rushed or out-archered.

• I Go Insane when my internet does.

• I rarely rage …maybe if I am super drunk. I enjoy talking smack via the built in messaging systems …especially mid duel. So much so that sometimes I get killed laughing. I also enjoy playing archer and find it comical how deep some people are willing to dive just to get to me in that class.

I never make it personal though and will just ignore really toxic comments or insults.

I do not have a problem with in game taunts or light taunting. I usually laugh myself if it is a particularly emberassing death. I have had a few.

• @danezcou3:

I have to admit that sometimes this game has the tendency to really affect my nerve and even to the point where if i don´t exit the game immediately i know i might completely lose control over myself and start breaking things in my vicinity :)

I have about 430 hours played and i am level 42 and i usually play vanguard on EU servers.

I don´t usually take the game seriously when i´m just fucking around on a random ffa server and playing with some casual players and chatting with them and whatnot, but when i´m on a duel server with maybe like a couple of level 40-50 guys that are obviously as good or many times better than i am, i tend to take the game a bit too seriously, like i REALLY try to win and constantly losing is often times okay as i realize that there will always be someone better than i am, but when i´ve been playing for maybe like 3 hours on a duel server and there is this one asshole who is decently good and arrogant at the same time, like laughing and denigrating my corpse and taunting me constantly, kicking me and sometimes ffaing me, and i try to use votekick but he seems to have gained some trust among the other players or maybe knows them and he doesnt get kicked but just keeps harrassing me and i cant seem to be able to ever kill him

At THAT point i start losing my sanity and my head starts boiling and i simply have to exit the game to cool my mind and tell myself its just a game its just a game, he´s an asshole and this is just a game…

What pisses you guys off? At what point do you tend to lose control over your temper? I´m curious to know :)

I tend to “rage quit” when people are exploiting mechanics and calling it “skill” followed by telling every honest player to L2PNub.

• “exploits”

• I only rage when I slaughter 3 guys versus me in an epic, intense, badass fight. Then i get headshotted by an archer n my head explodes….

• honestly what pisses me off more than anything are the idiots who flagrantly teamkill you in an attempt to steal a kill and then if you call them out on it say something like, ‘its just a game dude.’ most of the time i don’t say shit because sometimes people are bad and uncoordinated, but oftentimes tks are just so obviously the product of narcissistic disregard for your teammates that i feel entirely justified beating the perpetrators to death in spawn.

being careful with friendly fire is just so easy to avoid by picking your fights, flanking around to the back and using the tip of the weapon (its better to miss once or twice than cut through and hit both of them) and by using slashes/ohs that there is no excuse and at the very least you should apologize.

most pubs have gotten to the point now that i try to draw enemies as far away from my teammates as possible to fight them because i know that im going to get a friendly spear through my face during windup if i include another unskilled peasant

• I rage a lot because I often find myself suffering from lag, in which players I can trounce in a server in my region are able to beat me silly because the parry misfires or is off by a few seconds thanks to lag.

Also when you get killed over and over and over by someone you could swear is using an aimbot or some sort of hack, but you just can’t find a way to prove it because chiv has little to no system for helping do this.

• Just fuck around in duels as well. It’s probably more fun in the end. I managed to break some high-ranked guy’s win streak mostly by sheer luck as a sling archer. That made him ragequit right after landing the killing blow. Made me laugh quite a bit!

I never really have rage moments myself even though I consider myself quite invested in the game. It’s kind of odd since I’ve gotten pretty furious in other games like WoW PVP. At most I quit of of apathy when I feel I’m not having fun. If I’m on an objective map and the balancing/odds are hopelessly stacked against us, I feel it’s better to just pick my fights and try to get the most out of it instead of obsessing over an objective we have no chance on.

• @quigleyer:

@danezcou3:

The thing that i hate most in any competition, is when your opponent is really good and at the same time very arrogant, it doesnt matter if its Chivalry or Chess or Football, i just hate losing to someone that behaves like a monkey.

Oh boy this. (I’m also assuming since you’re playing on EU servers you didn’t mean any racial slurs, disclaimer for me). The problem is only compounded if the players are killing you as an archer (UGH) or dodging out of stuns (and then claiming it was intended by developers because it’s now back).

Archers in duels are the worst. Where’s the honor in that?

@lazygecko:

Just fuck around in duels as well. It’s probably more fun in the end. I managed to break some high-ranked guy’s win streak mostly by sheer luck as a sling archer. That made him ragequit right after landing the killing blow. Made me laugh quite a bit!

Exception is slings :)

• Yesterday I got tked 8 times in a row (serious) because my teammates kept swinging trying to get the kills away from me. I don’t mind if someone killsteals, it’s just that if they swing and take me down with it I rage. Lately I’ve started to hunt down the teammates who either damages me or kills me twice, it’s a pain but seriously someone have to teach them how fun it is to get tked over and over. Then again there might be unintentional tks when you’re not able to see your teammates, or if they step right into your arrow/attack. But yeah that makes me rage a lot.

Or if I keep dying to people below level 20, or people that just lmb spam. And crossbowmen, or “cowardsnipers camping somewhere with tehir head sticking up and a fov of 10” as I like to call them