New player with some questions

• First off, awesome freaking game. I’m having a TON of fun. At the start I was dying quite a bit, but its gotten a lot better once I understood a few things. I’ve run in to some people along the way and have a few questions.

I’m using the Vanguard and a great sword right now. I haven’t really practiced with much else, but I plan for that to change eventually. I’m just trying to get used to the game and how to fight against other weapons. ANYWHO!

1. Why do people get upset when you use feint? They almost make it seem like its cheap or something. I think that function of the game is pretty cool and adds quite a bit of versatility to the fights. Just curious as to why some people get so upset when you use it…

2. Java players. How do you beat them as a Vanguard with a great sword? I feel like I’m dodging their range quite a bit, but I’m getting owned once I get up close. Any tips would be awesome…

Thanks

• People cry about feints cause they are 2 noob to see it coming XD, feints are definitely apart of the game and should be used wisely.
    The Jav is a nasty weapon esp if the user knows what he/she is doing. Usually the archer will swing as u get close… Simply block their first strike and overhead + jump or stab + jump to get around their sheilds. most players tend to strike first if you know the length of their wepon simply step back and swing for an open hit.

• @GottaBeSneaky:

People cry about feints cause they are 2 noob to see it coming XD, feints are definitely apart of the game and should be used wisely.
    The Jav is a nasty weapon esp if the user knows what he/she is doing. Usually the archer will swing as u get close… Simply block their first strike and overhead + jump or stab + jump to get around their sheilds. most players tend to strike first if you know the length of their wepon simply step back and swing for an open hit.

Appreciate it, I got a lot of practice to do.

• 1. Feints used to be real cheap as they were virtually impossible to read and late feints would force you to parry as you’d be stupid not to.
    This is a community issue, it’ll just take time for people to adjust to feints being much easier to read now.

2. Javelin players will always go for the first strike to interrupt yours when you get up close as they know that they have a very short windup and can almost always interrupt an attack.
    Either with the weapons your using, use range to your advantage and don’t get too close when you attack or wait for the jab,parry and riposte them.

• Thanks guys. Looks like I got some work to do.

• A new player to use feints?

That’s something new.

The feints of today are easier to read. The morons still saying they are cheap never read the patch notes of last month. They can actually be beaten now yet they can still be rewarding for the attacker.

As a javelin player myself I rely on my enemies over confidence to be their undoing. We always go for the first strike. And we can usually get a second one in too. And by that stage my
    Opponent is often panicking and rather easy to take down.

In even combat us jav players are at a disadvantage. So blocking our first attack is what you want to do. Once you block a jav users first attack they don’t have any advantage. Some will bal off and try to throw something at you. Just rush forward and kill them. Riposte them. To do that just queue up an attack as you parry. Before the parry finishes as you attack will happen straight away. One overhead head shot will kill.

Blocking out first attack is like the little kid get a big stick to hit the bully over the head with. But the little kid just whacks his backpack rather than his head. We jav players feel Like that little kid if you block our first attack.

• @lemonater47:

Blocking out first attack is like the little kid get a big stick to hit the bully over the head with. But the little kid just whacks his backpack rather than his head. We jav players feel Like that little kid if you block our first attack.

Great analogy there lemon, personal experience? :P

• @jrmftw:

@lemonater47:

Great analogy there lemon, personal experience? :P

Never picked up the stick in the first place.

• @lemonater47:

The feints of today are easier to read. The morons still saying they are cheap never read the patch notes of last month. They can actually be beaten now yet they can still be rewarding for the attacker.

Just for a second opinion:

There are still weapons where feints aren’t very readable, particularly in the stab department. The trouble comes from faster weapons- the fork, the norse sword, the broad sword, and to some extent the claymore are the main offenders in my opinion. The stab on these weapons comes so quickly after the windup that often-times your only choice is to parry or take the hit. If you wait to see if it’s an attack you’ll generally windup being hit by it, as the parry doesn’t go up fast enough once you see the weapon coming forward towards you.

There is also an audio cue intended to help you differentiate between a feint and an attack. If you listen carefully every attack is preceded by a grunt from the character, while if it’s a feint it’s not supposed to make the noise. The audio cue often plays for feints from the fork, norse sword, and broad sword (though I’ve never seen/heard it from the claymore). The game is literally TELLING YOU it’s an attack, when in fact it’s a feint. I’m not sure if it’s lag or just the sheer speed of the stab attack on these particular weapons, but you can’t trust the audio cue as was intended.

Weapons like the spear and the brandistock (mildly slower medium-to-far ranged weapons) have feints that are difficult to read on stabs at close range. While generally it’s a good idea to be able to see the tip of the weapon, if you’re a knight you don’t really have a choice and must make the guess most of the time.

But generally I agree with Lemonader- feints are much easier to read than they were a while back. The tendency in this game is to complain about whatever seems to kill you the most. There just seems to be a whole crowd of people who have difficulty reading ALL feints, and it seems to be at ALL levels.

• Thanks much guys!!!

• Keep feinting, it’s part of the game. Maybe go easy on some of the really new players, but otherwise, all’s fair in love and Chivalry. Just don’t get predictable with them in low-population games or duels, or your opponent is likely to figure out your moves and adapt, at which point you’ll just be wasting time and stamina.

As for Jav users, I want to echo that most will suddenly run forward and try to stab, so know this is coming. Try a riposte stab in exchange. Or, if you’re reading them as the defensive type, parry the stab and then move in for a kick to stun them. A greatsword slash or overhead to the head will 1-hit. (Prepare to combo just in case you screw up the 1-hit.)

If you have a long enough weapon (greatsword will certainly do) and enough time to duel them a bit, you can often wear down very defensive jav archer until he’s out of stamina. You have to really know your reach well, but you can usually land blows that he’ll HAVE to block, and after a few rounds of that he’ll be stunned and you can 1-hit him.

Another really common tactic that tends to work on jav archers is the deliberately whiffed swing into a combo. From a reasonably safe distance, use a LMB slash that just falls short of hitting the archer, and immediately start to combo. They usually take the missed swing as an opportunity to run in with a stab, and if you manage your footwork and mouse dragging right you can actually interrupt them; aim the second swing at the neck if possible. It also helps to know which kind of javelin he’s using to better gauge how quickly that stab is coming in. Beware that if he doesn’t fall for the second swing, he’s probably going to backpeddle and try to throw. It’s tricky, but worth practicing and trying out every now and then.

And when in doubt, let someone else deal with him. :P

• 1. Why do people get upset when you use feint? They almost make it seem like its cheap or something. I think that function of the game is pretty cool and adds quite a bit of versatility to the fights. Just curious as to why some people get so upset when you use it…

Because people don’t expect it and feel cheated when you pull one off. Don’t let it bother you though. It’s hard to take seriously people who are fine with speeded up attacks (and other dirty tricks) while they are not fine with feints, simply because they fall for them and it ruins their expected speeded up counter-attack. Part of the game? Live with it.

• Feints are fine, don’t let the worse players whining pull you down. I commend you for wanting to become better and asking questions on how to be more competitive, you’re the kind of new players this game should be thinking about, not those who only play 2 hours every 2 weeks and whine about feints.

Any archer is going to be hard for you to fight as a vanguard, but the greatsword is an extremely solid weapon that’s well rounded in everything so it’s great that you’re learning the game with it. I recommend it now to every new player learning the game, since they screwed over knights and longsword/SoW recently.

Vanguards have no shield so obviously archers are their greatest threat, and javelins in melee do pierce damage which vanguards take bonus damage (rather, they have less pierce resist than to slash or blunt damage) from. Good javelineers can be difficult to fight as a vanguard because they can go from defensive to offensive very fast if you hit their shield and knock them back so far that they can back pedal and get a free throw off on you. You have to hope they’re bad and they will miss as you try to move unpredictably, duck, jump, ect. to make you a hard target to hit when that happens. You will however beat them in the stamina war since you drain a ton of their stamina off their buckler every time they block you, and it can be very easy to get around bucklers that I’m sure you noticed in the tutorial.

Since you know how to feint, you can try feinting them when they’re in range and then kick them with a hard F (a quick tap to F is a fast kick, need to hold it for a hard kick) which will stun daze them if their shield is up. You can oneshot them with an overhead to their head from full health that way, or just simply repeat that twice for a 2 hit kill. But you need to be careful because the greatsword is a little slow for initial windups especially against a short spear, and they can just flinch you every time you go to attack. You need to be patient against them and stay out of their melee range while being in your melee range but not too far as to knock them back so much when you hit their shield and give them a free throw on you. It’s a lot to learn, but I think you’ll manage it once you get the hang of this concept theory. If you know they’re going to sit back and try spam stabs to flinch you, you can parry it and follow with a riposte which will either hit them or force them to blow stamina blocking you and win the stamina war that way. Remember, it costs them a lot more stamina to block you than your stamina to block them.

I commend you for asking questions and seeking improvement. I know you’ll become a very good player one day.

• @SOC:

Feints are fine, don’t let the worse players whining pull you down. I commend you for wanting to become better and asking questions on how to be more competitive, you’re the kind of new players this game should be thinking about, not those who only play 2 hours every 2 weeks and whine about feints.

Any archer is going to be hard for you to fight as a vanguard, but the greatsword is an extremely solid weapon that’s well rounded in everything so it’s great that you’re learning the game with it. I recommend it now to every new player learning the game, since they screwed over knights and longsword/SoW recently.

Vanguards have no shield so obviously archers are their greatest threat, and javelins in melee do pierce damage which vanguards take bonus damage (rather, they have less pierce resist than to slash or blunt damage) from. Good javelineers can be difficult to fight as a vanguard because they can go from defensive to offensive very fast if you hit their shield and knock them back so far that they can back pedal and get a free throw off on you. You have to hope they’re bad and they will miss as you try to move unpredictably, duck, jump, ect. to make you a hard target to hit when that happens. You will however beat them in the stamina war since you drain a ton of their stamina off their buckler every time they block you, and it can be very easy to get around bucklers that I’m sure you noticed in the tutorial.

Since you know how to feint, you can try feinting them when they’re in range and then kick them with a hard F (a quick tap to F is a fast kick, need to hold it for a hard kick) which will stun daze them if their shield is up. You can oneshot them with an overhead to their head from full health that way, or just simply repeat that twice for a 2 hit kill. But you need to be careful because the greatsword is a little slow for initial windups especially against a short spear, and they can just flinch you every time you go to attack. You need to be patient against them and stay out of their melee range while being in your melee range but not too far as to knock them back so much when you hit their shield and give them a free throw on you. It’s a lot to learn, but I think you’ll manage it once you get the hang of this concept theory. If you know they’re going to sit back and try spam stabs to flinch you, you can parry it and follow with a riposte which will either hit them or force them to blow stamina blocking you and win the stamina war that way. Remember, it costs them a lot more stamina to block you than your stamina to block them.

I commend you for asking questions and seeking improvement. I know you’ll become a very good player one day.

Hey, thanks!!!

I think its really cool that the game has that sort of depth to combat. The duel system is hands down without a doubt the best feature on this game, BY FAR in my opinion. I don’t mind dying. But, against those Javas I had a hard time understanding why I was losing so bad. I got a better idea since these posts and have something to practice now. It seems all about ranges and understanding the match up.

• it is a good game but it def needs sum polishing up to become a great game, glad you are enjoying it my friend

1 thing you will have to get used to is that no matter how or what u beat, kill, or own some one with they are gonna whine that you suck your a cheater/ exploiter or the weapon/ tactic you used was op in some way, which is why the gameplay is so nerfed at this point in chivalrys life , to accomodate all the noobs that just cant play anything, but sumthing thats slow weak and easy.

and all the feints in the world wont make you a good player, and really who bought the game to fake swing anyway?

just chop them down when they are in front of you and youll do just fine, foot work and practice will make you good in no time brotha not fake swinging, you dont wanna be like the people who “rely” on feints now do ya?

• How to beat a javelin user: a beginners guide by me.

1. Use a warbow with broadheads and just kill him or whatever, seriously fuck javelins.
    2. Feint and then kick them, use an overhead while running around them and stab to finish them off, because fuck those guys.
    3. Die while trying to get to them because javelins are made of brain seeking wood that actively seeks out brain matter and somehow fucking kills me every time I’m trying to move around and fucking do something.

• prime example right here of op,

Die while trying to get to them because javelins are made of brain seeking wood that actively seeks out brain matter and somehow fucking kills me every time I’m trying to move around and fucking do something.

the archers only have 4 javs man,and archers have been nerfed dam near more then chivalry itself,
    and in the regular game they are so slow and have such a rainbow arch they are practically useless with out modding their ammo, drag and air speed.

• @WARSAW:

prime example right here of op,

Die while trying to get to them because javelins are made of brain seeking wood that actively seeks out brain matter and somehow fucking kills me every time I’m trying to move around and fucking do something.

the archers only have 4 javs man,and archers have been nerfed dam near more then chivalry itself,
    and in the regular game they are so slow and have such a rainbow arch they are practically useless with out modding their ammo, drag and air speed.

5 javs, 4 heavy.

• I am about to post something different and will get a bunch of hate for that I bet.

1. The reason why people hate on you when you use feints is because feints are cheap. You basically using the easiest mechanic in the game, which is too rewarding against many players in the game. You do that to trick them and kill them with no effort. It is possible to react to them now after they been nerfed and I usually can just fine. Still you will destroy a lot of people by using feints especially if you do it right. It also really does not show anything about the depth of the combat. You are new so you will learn after playing for awhile. Thought you will get destroyed by a good player if you feint and he knows that you are a feinter. There a lot more depth than pressing one button to get past blocks.

2. javs got deceiving reach and hit box. Even if you think that you dodged that attack it still might hit. Best thing you can do with vanguard is to keep them at the full reach and overhead them. They will either run out of stamina or be forced to attack back where you can go around them and kill them.