Good bye TB (or costumization rant)

• Im sad, but I am leaving.

The introduction of customization finally pushed performance to a state so bad the game feels like pure luck.

There is no way to parry any other way than guessing for me.

Funny thing is I have 60 FPS on a server with 4 people and I can feel the game is lagging while I run.

The game always had problems performing with more than 20 players, still you needed to add more.

Guess the next TB game I will not buy until it runs smooth more than a year after release…

• @Towe:

If your game is too laggy for you to even parry then it’s probably time for you to upgrade your PC or stop playing on far away servers.

• they’ve sold over 1.2 million copies, do you thnk they care if you leave?

• nah they luckily don’t (for them) but performance is a major problem for Chivarly. I got a dual core 3 ghz which is by far not slow but apparently it is barely enough to launch the main menu. And then those lags… not to mention that citadel is probably the resource hungriest gamemap developed to date.

I really hope they will increase performance, not because they have to in order to keep their small player base, but because they promised they would support their game after release.

• What customization has to do with performance…? It sounds like problem on your end, or at least it has something to do with parts of your PC. Maybe the game isn’t the wonder of optimalization, but reason to quit is silly enough to not take it seriously.

• @Holy.Death:

What customization has to do with performance…? It sounds like problem on your end, or at least it has something to do with parts of your PC. Maybe the game isn’t the wonder of optimalization, but reason to quit is silly enough to not take it seriously.

He’s one of those fools who just has to blame something. Its not customisation. He probably had a crap PC and his graphics settings were all reset.

He has always complained about performance. But I don’t think this guy has given out his DXdiag file so we can see the problem.

And escadin, citadel is the map that people have the highest FPS on usually.

Some people just don’t want to be helped. Thy just want to complain. He made a bloody post about leaving chivalry when no one cares. That’s how much he likes to complain. He didn’t want help. He didn’t want the game to run better.

• well I want help because I want to love the game with all it’s flaws even if it hurts D:

Citadel drops my fps by 10-15 and increases everyone’s ping by 30-50 and even more on official servers. How do we help that? Nope not buying a new CPU only for chivarly because no other game has any compareable issues. The love is there but not the moneyz

• @Escadin:

well I want help because I want to love the game with all it’s flaws even if it hurts D:

Citadel drops my fps by 10-15 and increases everyone’s ping by 30-50 and even more on official servers. How do we help that? Nope not buying a new CPU only for chivarly because no other game has any compareable issues. The love is there but not the moneyz

Well what are your other specs. A full dxdiag would be nice. Just attract the file to a post here.

Its kinda a “help us to help you” situation.

Though I ran this game this game when I first hit it with a 3.0GHz AMD athalon II. Had to run it on low.
    Now with an i5 3570k I can run the game on medium to high. Same graphics card. More and faster RAm but that wouldn’t affect much as the game barely gets over 3GB anyway.

Though probably don’t help that it was also running at 80 degrees. Centigrade.

• @Escadin:

well I want help because I want to love the game with all it’s flaws even if it hurts D:

The ping increase is more a case of underpowered servers, probably. The CPU on your end will not help the situation of the server is having a hard time hitting 30 frames or whatever its target is. In any case, you have to expect some maps to be more demanding than others. That’s pretty normal.

Also, to OP: It’s highly unlikely a few extra textures here and there are the cause of such massive performance differences. It’s an incredibly insignificant change given how much other, more intensive, graphics work is already going on.

• @dudeface:

@Escadin:

The ping increase is more a case of underpowered servers, probably. The CPU on your end will not help the situation of the server is having a hard time hitting 30 frames or whatever its target is. In any case, you have to expect some maps to be more demanding than others. That’s pretty normal.

Also, to OP: It’s highly unlikely a few extra textures here and there are the cause of such massive performance differences. It’s an incredibly insignificant change given how much other, more intensive, graphics work is already going on.

Actually the ping increase happens becuase of the map not the servers. Citadel is just weird. But I highly doubt a server with a 24 core 2.93GHZ CPU with a bazillion gigabytes of RAM would have any issues that would increase the ping for everyone. And it only happens on citadel.

• It’s not a tuner’s dream but not too bad either. My pc handles way bigger games (e.g. skyrim with a shitload of mods and texture packs), farcry 3, battlefield 3) just fine. I know that chivarly is very taxing on CPU and that my CPU is quite old, but irl game like chivarly should run stable on dual core 3ghz CPUs you cannot tell me there is no room for performance optimaziation on TBS side.

Anyway, changing the grafik settings has like 3-4fps impact (big deal) because my GPU is not the problem. I had some success with maxchannel and soundcompression tweaks but it is still not enough to constantly stay above 24 fps in 1v1 close combat and more. Even if I gained that additional 5-10fps I would need them double to run citadel smoothley as well.

Btw, I know that ping is not related to game performance but this huge latency boost shows how the map even taxes the servers way harder.

• @clayton-bigsby:

they’ve sold over 1.2 million copies, do you thnk they care if you leave?

According to what I have read, they have about 5000 active players. That is less than a third of a percent of sales retention and largely is due to that kind of response and attitude within the community. They should care if customers leave in legion as there are other companies giving this genre a go and a mere 10% of that total sales figure going to a competitor would be a giant knock into this project and TBS future projects. Even if the figure I read was somewhat inaccurate and that is just against US sales, it is still too small of a retention rate for a game with this much potential and I have a feeling that a good part of it is the “oh f*** it” attitude of the players and contributors.

I like the game, I’d like to see it here ten years from now on the level of CS:GO, how about you?

• It sounds like your settings were changed after the patch released because customization shouldn’t be causing you this sort of problem.

• I’ve ran this game fine with 64 players, but hey it’s cool that you need to say that you’re leaving for a reason. Always helps to point at something and give it a reason for you to be away from it.

• @Escadin:

It’s not a tuner’s dream but not too bad either. My pc handles way bigger games (e.g. skyrim with a shitload of mods and texture packs), farcry 3, battlefield 3) just fine. I know that chivarly is very taxing on CPU and that my CPU is quite old, but irl game like chivarly should run stable on dual core 3ghz CPUs you cannot tell me there is no room for performance optimaziation on TBS side.

Anyway, changing the grafik settings has like 3-4fps impact (big deal) because my GPU is not the problem. I had some success with maxchannel and soundcompression tweaks but it is still not enough to constantly stay above 24 fps in 1v1 close combat and more. Even if I gained that additional 5-10fps I would need them double to run citadel smoothley as well.

Btw, I know that ping is not related to game performance but this huge latency boost shows how the map even taxes the servers way harder.

And those games aren’t CPU intensive. You have a new high end GPU and an old now low end CPU. Compatibility issues might be a factor. Its getting bottlenecked for sure.

In the technical support section Retsnom made two threads about increasing performance. One of the ways gets the most out of your CPU without Overclocking it and its easy to do.

And brown cloud, they have 23,000 at peak time according to them. Usually you triple that number to get the total amount of active players (except for Dota 2 because people play that 24/7). Still not much but a heck of a lot more than 5000.

• @Towe:

Im sad, but I am leaving.

The introduction of customization finally pushed performance to a state so bad the game feels like pure luck.

Funny thing is I have 60 FPS on a server with 4 people and I can feel the game is lagging while I run.

The game always had problems performing with more than 20 players, still you needed to add more.

Guess the next TB game I will not buy until it runs smooth more than a year after release…

If you were leaving because of the lack of content I would understand but performance should not be one of them, given your specs unless your internet connection is crap. In which case I recommend facebook games.

• And those games aren’t CPU intensive. You have a new high end GPU and an old now low end CPU. Compatibility issues might be a factor. Its getting bottlenecked for sure.

In the technical support section Retsnom made two threads about increasing performance. One of the ways gets the most out of your CPU without Overclocking it and its easy to do.

And brown cloud, they have 23,000 at peak time according to them. Usually you triple that number to get the total amount of active players (except for Dota 2 because people play that 24/7). Still not much but a heck of a lot more than 5000.

Well there is a new lead thanks for that. Those games may not focus on the CPU but their minimal requirements are higher than chivalry (chiv = 2.4ghz / farcry 3 = 2.7ghz).

About active players is it possible to play the game without steam? just asking because steam usually only states 2.5k - 5k players when I check it.

• @Towe:

Im sad, but I am leaving.

Lol, I usually don’t do this but… fucking lol.

No issues here on 32 man, no lag or fps drop except maybe on citadel when I jump in the lava.

Seriously dude it’s your computer, get a jerb.