Auto-balance can "ruin" gameplay

• As said in the titel, auto-balance can ruin gameplay. I’m not talking about, the best player being switched, or someone who has been playing in the team for the longest time. Even if that’s also bad, I thought about telling something else.
    I don’t think you should be switched when you play with your friends. Just imagine that you play with your pals and you randomly get switched, and can’t change back. That’s not cool at all!
    Now considering all three things I said, I think the one who should be switched is the last one who just joined, and is NOT in the same team as a friend. I think that’d be the best solution.

• There’s no way for the game to tell who’s playing with friends and who isn’t, since server browser works through Steam and not through Chivalry completely (Imagine Call of Duty which uses match making and a party system).

Personally I think about the idea of official servers being match making based like CoD so you could have a party system for friends to play with them on with official support and then leave non-official servers to the server browser (and give us solo pubs a mercenary mode <3), but I don’t think Chivalry has enough population for that yet.

Just try to join one team very fast at the start of each match and it’ll lessen your chances of getting auto balanced greatly. Auto balance prefers to target those that joined the team later than other people.

• @Kewlan:

As said in the titel, auto-balance can ruin gameplay. I’m not talking about, the best player being switched, or someone who has been playing in the team for the longest time. Even if that’s also bad, I thought about telling something else.
    I don’t think you should be switched when you play with your friends. Just imagine that you play with your pals and you randomly get switched, and can’t change back. That’s not cool at all!
    Now considering all three things I said, I think the one who should be switched is the last one who just joined, and is NOT in the same team as a friend. I think that’d be the best solution.

I don’t think there is the option for newest player first autobalance in the server configs, I would like to see this option though. Maybe a more experienced server operator could chime in.

• We had similar requests in the days of Battlefield 2 etc., However people playing with their friends tend to work together, often using voice comms, so stacking a bunch of these on one team tends to unbalance the game to a point where everyone else is not enjoying it.

• The only time I really disagree with auto balance is when I didn’t realise it happened until I find myself attacking my new teammates, lol

But then it’s like “whatever” after 5 minutes

• @FUSH:

The only time I really disagree with auto balance is when I didn’t realise it happened until I find myself attacking my new teammates, lol

But then it’s like “whatever” after 5 minutes

I’m not going to lie, I have killed some teammates with headshots before :X

• Just press m and choose your class again if you don’t wanna be switched

• I have no problem pressing n and switching back if I really don’t want to be auto balanced.

• On a related note, when the “you will be auto-balanced” message appears, it’s really annoying that it takes away points while you kill the opposite team before you respawn T_T

• Auto-balance shouldn’t be forced at all. For any competitive game, it should have an auto balance system like Natural Selection 2, where the team with excess players have to wait their turn to spawn and if they hate waiting, they can switch teams themselves. Effectively keeping the same amount of players on each team.

• @jrmftw:

Auto-balance shouldn’t be forced at all. For any competitive game, it should have an auto balance system like Natural Selection 2, where the team with excess players have to wait their turn to spawn and if they hate waiting, they can switch teams themselves. Effectively keeping the same amount of players on each team.

Natural Selection 2 has system like that only because of team resource points.

• @SOC:

There’s no way for the game to tell who’s playing with friends and who isn’t…

Then how come we can see their names, only when they’re in same team? That means the game can clearly see when you play with a friend, so it should be able to do.
    Also, I did not know it’s the server admin that chooses how it works.

• @Kewlan:

@SOC:

There’s no way for the game to tell who’s playing with friends and who isn’t…

Then how come we can see their names, only when they’re in same team? That means the game can clearly see when you play with a friend, so it should be able to do.
    Also, I did not know it’s the server admin that chooses how it works.

yep, the setting is in the pcserver-udkgame.ini : bAllowFriendNotification=True and is most definitely part of the game settings and not steam overlay etc.,

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@jrmftw:

Auto-balance shouldn’t be forced at all. For any competitive game, it should have an auto balance system like Natural Selection 2, where the team with excess players have to wait their turn to spawn and if they hate waiting, they can switch teams themselves. Effectively keeping the same amount of players on each team.

Natural Selection 2 has system like that only because of team resource points.

doesn’t matter. still a good idea.

no autobalance is a bad idea. telling someone “you will be switched” and then waiting for them to die is a bad idea, because what are you supposed to do then with the rest of that life? work against yourself? kill your former allies, even though you haven’t changed color yet? telling them “you will be switched” with a countdown is also a bad idea, same problem. and force-suiciding someone instantly is just really nasty.

deaths happen so often in Chivalry, just wait for a death at least. i’ve seen “first person to die gets switched” suggested, which may also work. but making the stacked team wait to spawn, and give them the option to voluntarily switch seems even better…i don’t see any down-side to this, yes you may have to wait a little if you don’t want to switch, but you can switch out of that wait, and that’s always still better than involuntary switch.

• @Deadpan:

<snip>

…and force-suiciding someone instantly is just really nasty.

deaths happen so often in Chivalry, just wait for a death at least. i’ve seen “first person to die gets switched” suggested, which may also work. but making the stacked team wait to spawn, and give them the option to voluntarily switch seems even better…i don’t see any down-side to this, yes you may have to wait a little if you don’t want to switch, but you can switch out of that wait, and that’s always still better than involuntary switch.</snip>

death based autobalance is indeed a server option. Not many servers use it however as it often takes a little while to trigger by which time people have reshuffled around, so then the server tries to recompensate. It tends to lead to a lot of switching and therefore confusion

• There’s a far, far more critical problem with auto balance and its the fact that you’re just balanced without a whim, out of nowhere, AT ANY BLOODY TIMES.

I’ve been in the middle of a FIGHT and been auto-balanced. What is this shit? It gives you a few seconds to live before switching you, but you still end up randomly killing yourself in the middle of the field.

Its infuriating. Its bad enough to be auto-balanced at all.

• How we solved the problem on the KiLa THUNDERDOME servers is to make the auto balance check every 3 minutes instead of every 30-60 secs. What this had effectively done is to give time for more players to join or leave for that matter so that it is pretty rare there is an actual auto balance but balances it when necessary as teams sometimes get way out of balance.

• @Retsnom:

How we solved the problem on the KiLa THUNDERDOME servers is to make the auto balance check every 3 minutes instead of every 30-60 secs. What this had effectively done is to give time for more players to join or leave for that matter so that it is pretty rare there is an actual auto balance but balances it when necessary as teams sometimes get way out of balance.

Good idea - have set the =SM= servers to the same :D

• hmm, interesting. sounds like letting the imbalance go where it goes, and something of a resetting when it gets way out of hand, by which time people won’t mind so much.

couldn’t there be a more proper way to do this though?

• @MonkeyFiend:

We had similar requests in the days of Battlefield 2 etc., However people playing with their friends tend to work together, often using voice comms, so stacking a bunch of these on one team tends to unbalance the game to a point where everyone else is not enjoying it.

Yes and it’s infuriating. Want to club baby seals, fine, go ahead and save your lunch money and rent a server for that purpose. Fuck clans, squads, whatever that stack on public server. Just now on the official west coast TO server the jackasses from wK are curb stomping Agatha as they exclusively play Mason. Fuck those guys.