Spear knockback. A fix?

• I really think it’s quite annoying when, even with a Zweihander, blocking a spear pushes me back way too far to reach with a riposte. Even on the off chance I do, they normally get to block it again and it’s basically a never-ending fight that resorts to feints. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it can be better balanced to be more enjoyable, and here’s how I would do it:

Spears are long, straight weapons. Therefore, the person blocking an attack from it will not always block it head-on, rather they’d be at an angle. Thus, when someone parries a spear, the spear should be deflected in the direction the parry was pointed. For example, if I know a spear is going to attack me, and I simply stand still and block it, the spear will push me back (no matter which direction I point my parry.) However, if I sidestep to the right and block a little more to the left, the spear will then be deflected in that direction, and as a result reducing the amount of force I am pushed back with. Naturally, the physics of this would, in the real world, allow the spear to slide through the block and possibly hit the opponent with much less accuracy and damage, although in terms of balanced gameplay this may/may not be viable. It really depends on whether TBS gives this some thought.

As for shields vs spears: the same idea would still apply, although it would be slightly harder to point the block due to the much larger hitbox of the shield. The same thing would occur though; sidestep right/left and block right/left and the attack will be deflected more in that direction than ultimately pushing you back the exact same amount all the time. To balance this out perfectly (imo) the vanguard player will be allowed to parry quicker but not use a riposte as quickly as they could before (maybe like a slower windup into the riposte.) This would happen since the vanguard has been forced to point their weapon slightly off course, thus blocking another attack would be possible although recuperating the momentum to parry-combo into another attack (this is a riposte, for those of you who are confused) would be harder due to the extra force exerted in a direction, rather than just head-on where the player would control all the momentum. I know this seems very mathematical and complex but it really is a very simple idea that I believe would making fighting vs spears alot more fun.

• @Luc0z:

I really think it’s quite annoying when, even with a Zweihander, blocking a spear pushes me back way too far to reach with a riposte. Even on the off chance I do, they normally get to block it again and it’s basically a never-ending fight that resorts to feints. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it can be better balanced to be more enjoyable, and here’s how I would do it:

Spears are long, straight weapons. Therefore, the person blocking an attack from it will not always block it head-on, rather they’d be at an angle. Thus, when someone parries a spear, the spear should be deflected in the direction the parry was pointed. For example, if I know a spear is going to attack me, and I simply stand still and block it, the spear will push me back (no matter which direction I point my parry.) However, if I sidestep to the right and block a little more to the left, the spear will then be deflected in that direction, and as a result reducing the amount of force I am pushed back with. Naturally, the physics of this would, in the real world, allow the spear to slide through the block and possibly hit the opponent with much less accuracy and damage, although in terms of balanced gameplay this may/may not be viable. It really depends on whether TBS gives this some thought.

As for shields vs spears: the same idea would still apply, although it would be slightly harder to point the block due to the much larger hitbox of the shield. The same thing would occur though; sidestep right/left and block right/left and the attack will be deflected more in that direction than ultimately pushing you back the exact same amount all the time. To balance this out perfectly (imo) the vanguard player will be allowed to parry quicker but not use a riposte as quickly as they could before (maybe like a slower windup into the riposte.) This would happen since the vanguard has been forced to point their weapon slightly off course, thus blocking another attack would be possible although recuperating the momentum to parry-combo into another attack (this is a riposte, for those of you who are confused) would be harder due to the extra force exerted in a direction, rather than just head-on where the player would control all the momentum. I know this seems very mathematical and complex but it really is a very simple idea that I believe would making fighting vs spears alot more fun.

Use your projectiles if you have any, also try parrying, waiting about .4 of a second windup a swing, feint, keep rushing while hes parrying, then get him with the real swing, keep going past him, turn a stab into his back. Works for me on 90% of players, it might not work against someone who actually is wise to these kinds of things.

Honestly I don’t really have a problem with spear knock back because once I land one hit it’s over.

• They alrwady nerfed it in the customisation patch quite a bit. To all vanguard primaries.

You are talking about the old patch.

I can perfectly run up to a spear parry once and be in his face as a knight by the time he thrusts again.

W+shift maybe. Lovely combination of buttons.

• @lemonater47:

They alrwady nerfed it in the customisation patch quite a bit. To all vanguard primaries.

I can perfectly run up to a spear parry once and be in his face as a knight by the time he thrusts again.

Seriously, chase bonus from anywhere is retarded but we might as well use it until they remove it (I fucking hope)

• @?B:

@lemonater47:

They alrwady nerfed it in the customisation patch quite a bit. To all vanguard primaries.

Seriously, chase bonus from anywhere is retarded but we might as well use it until they remove it (I fucking hope)

Uhh its already been removed. Like last month. It only works from behind.

And with this customisation patch vanguard knockback has been reduced. You can now actually fight people with spears. Though I didn’t have much trouble beforehand either.

• Regardless of whether or not it can still be countered in the latest patch, it would make this aspect of the game a bit more fluid and less one-dimensional. Just my opinion though.

• Its a complicated array of calculations.

You want to know why armies for thousands of years had shields. Spears. Not projectiles but against spears.

A spear charge is more catastrophic against shieldless infantry than a group of archers firing volleys at them. As spears, especially massed spears were virtually impossible to block without a shield. Even if ku managed to hit one outta the way the next guy would stab you.

• @lemonater47:

Its a complicated array of calculations.

You want to know why armies for thousands of years had shields. Spears. Not projectiles but against spears.

A spear charge is more catastrophic against shieldless infantry than a group of archers firing volleys at them. As spears, especially massed spears were virtually impossible to block without a shield. Even if ku managed to hit one outta the way the next guy would stab you.

It’s not really complicated lol. Doesn’t even have to be different each time. If you simply block the spear at an angle over say 30 degrees then just cause the spear to move off course in that direction. It would work if it was implemented and is really just a load of number crunching, nothing too complex.

• Wait now you want the spear to move. And by that you mean the entire player turns.

That’s not realistic.

• @lemonater47:

Wait now you want the spear to move. And by that you mean the entire player turns.

That’s not realistic.

It’s not supposed to be entirely realistic. What single part of this game is 100% realistic? That’s the whole point of my post; to propose the fact that it would probably be a good idea to add this in without going too overboard with it. The spear moves in the direction it is hit at a fixed speed/value or whatever you want to call it and thus the player will also be forced to turn slightly off target, while still being allowed to block and riposte where the riposte windup is slightly slower. Regardless of what I just said, realistically this would happen anyway. The players viewport doesn’t even have to move, just moving the arms of the player would suffice for this to work.

• Meh. I think you need to learn how to fight spears.

• @Luc0z:

I really think it’s quite annoying when, even with a Zweihander, blocking a spear pushes me back way too far to reach with a riposte. Even on the off chance I do, they normally get to block it again and it’s basically a never-ending fight that resorts to feints. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it can be better balanced to be more enjoyable, and here’s how I would do it:

I agree!!! NERF THAT KNOCK BACK!!!