Damaged Limbs after skirmishes [Poll Included] (Please VOTE)

• So Guys.

Many a time i have come out of a 1 on 1 or group skirmishe and survived, even without getting TKd! crazy i know.

But i have often thought that regaining health is a little silly, iv noticed arrows axes and knives sticking out of numerous areas of my body, so i thought, why not have the damage you get in battles e.g an arrow to the knee :p (yes i went there) but no seriously a stab in the chest, mace to my arm, axe to my leg, why not make all these thing have an adverse effect if you come out of it alive, getting my leg crushed by a hammer would and should give me a limp, a stab to the chest could wind me and give me less stamina, a slash to my arm could effect my attacking capability.

Yeah its a lot of work, but i think it would bring a lot of diverse fights and different strategies. being injured would effect the way you fight and how you approach an incoming battle.

Let me know what you think of this guys :) i love the game already and the combat system is the best melee iv ever experience so can it be enhanced!

Thanks

• @Dogtag19:

So Guys.

Many a time i have come out of a couple of 1 on 1 or group skirmishes and survived, even without getting TKd! crazy i know.

But i have often thought that regaining health is a little silly, iv noticed arrows axes and knives sticking out of numerous areas of my body, so i thought, why not have the damage you get in battles e.g an arrow to the knee :p (yes i went there) but no seriously a stab in the chest, mace to my arm, axe to my leg, why not make all these thing have an adverse effect if you come out of it alive, getting my leg crushed by a hammer would and should give me a limp, a stab to the chest could wind me and give me less stamina, a slash to my arm could effect my attacking capability.

Yeah its a lot of work, but i think it would bring a lot of diverse fights and different strategies. being injured would effect the way you fight and how you approach an incoming battle.

Let me know what you think of this guys :) i love the game already and the combat system is the best melee iv ever experience so can it be enhanced!

Thanks

This would be fucking sweet, if it would ever happen. Somehow I just don’t see it ever happening, since it would require so much animating for limps and bad arms and stuff. I would definitely love to see this implemented though :P

• that would be pretty sweet, basically what fallout 3 did. This would change the gameplay experience by a lot but ya it would take a really long time to do tho

• I think it would be better for a game that is not as fast-paced as Chivalry is. Ok, I might sound like a noob here now, but it’s not an unusual thing to die and then you respawn fresh and healthy again. Pros that run around and cut down everything, having K:D ratios like 40:3, might get injured loads of times but never killed. So they would have a harder time getting that 20th kill in a row without dying (which might be good?) before their crushed knee + punctured lung + severed left arm muscle do them in.

I think there could be a mod that makes your armour count more. Someone hacks at you with a sword while you are wearing plate armour? Shouldn’t damage you. Oh my, they managed to get behind you and cut the back of your leg where you didn’t wear protection? Enjoy that limp, sir! So yeah, it could probably use the Crippled system from the Fallout series, but you don’t really die to often in those games either because you’ve got armour and other stats that reduce incoming damage to nothing (more so in the older games, where dying was a bitch to your morale. In Fallout: Tactics there was even a hardcore mode which disabled your ability to save your game on missions!)

So in conclusion, what I suggest is that… there chould/should be a mod that doesn’t make death such a light-hearted thing, and in this mod, injuries are far more common and lethal. A bad limp might be much worse to you than dying, wait 8 seconds, then be back on the field all well and healthy! I imagine this being played in something like Last Team Standing, but with some kind of Objective and on a grander scale, where people actually fight on two fronts and will retreat when they have too many injured rather than fight to the last man and then wait for the next spawn wave. Something like a… realism warfare mod!

• See now i agree with you to an extent.

Yes armour should be available for player to unlock and customise and therefore have an effect on how your over all performance will be, example a knight in full plate armour very well protected hard to take down but very slow with a hard hit.

Yes to the weak point but then these would be too hard to hit, with the pace at the game is at the moment everything feels very hack and slash block at the right times, nobody seems to be fighting tactically in the team objective or team deathmatch. but if you go to the last team standing or duel modes player are very careful about everything.

This is why i think the damaged limbs will bring in a more tactical approach, slowing down the game pace a bit for more concentration on that group coming together but you individually choosing who to fight in that group then if you win move to your next man, but if injured pull back and be in reserve.

I dont like the idea of getting a limp for example but all of a sudden recovering, you dont just grow a bone or ligament back after all. i think that once your injured in that life thats it, until you die or respawn.

I have made a post before this looking at a new game mode “Last man Standing” now as i didnt mention all of this in that i think these mechanics could very well make that game mode to win just that little bit harder, and for me this is where i want chivalry to go, a much more authentic fight concentrating on skill and not (and pardon my game pointing) CODs run around and kill everything as quick as you can.

Please carry on this discussion, im intrigued to hear everyone thoughts … :)

• @Maximus:

that would be pretty sweet, basically what fallout 3 did. This would change the gameplay experience by a lot but ya it would take a really long time to do tho

I dont think time would be too much of an issue, all it requires is to for example if hit in the leg, reduce movement speed and add animation of a limp, if hit in chest with arrow or whatever stamina bar is just reduced, hit in the arm slow down weapon speed with animation of i dunno say awkward shoulder movement, and another one i just thought if smashed in the head blur the player screen a bit and make it so they know they have damage say something like fallouts head damage.

Would vastly change player combat tactics and make it that much more awesome!

• Awesome idea but I could nearly guarantee(happy to be proven wrong) its not as easy as just addingjan animation like that. But there are many players who lurk about the battlefield to grt awesome scores who avoid big scrums, but even if they get involved wounds heal as they run from the action and hide for a time. May be hard to implement but great idea.

• Something similar to L4D2 limping would be nice.

• You may of noticed the games that have that dynamic damage often make it so it takes a lot to kill you.

In chivalry you die on average in 2-3 hits.

While the idea is cool and all it won’t really work for chivalry.

• @Callum:

Awesome idea but I could nearly guarantee(happy to be proven wrong) its not as easy as just addingjan animation like that. But there are many players who lurk about the battlefield to grt awesome scores who avoid big scrums, but even if they get involved wounds heal as they run from the action and hide for a time. May be hard to implement but great idea.

This is where the injuries will come in, instead of getting hit and then running away to heal, yes you can get your life back, but the injuries you sustained during that battle are still apparent. if you get me?

Adding on the animations is of course work, but they are still pushing new things out a fair bit and i know they are listening to player feedback.

Also Lemonater, yes, a couple of hits and you’re dead, but big battles have people lasting rather long and manage to get out of big skirmishes. as Callum said, you get people they get a few kills then run off to regen and they are as good as new, for those veterans to the game they can easily rack up a ton of kills, the game is hard enough without those veterans dominating the match, hence my idea comes into place!

:) please guys keep discussing and voting!

• Veterans running off to heal?

Why, that’s why we have archers.

• i think this would be an interesting mod or addition to SOME server, not something that should affect the game globally. If you took a hit to the leg and started becoming very slow, you’d be a very easy kill. Also, what if they cut off your sword hand? You’d be the ‘kingslayer’

• @clayton-bigsby:

i think this would be an interesting mod or addition to SOME server, not something that should affect the game globally. If you took a hit to the leg and started becoming very slow, you’d be a very easy kill. Also, what if they cut off your sword hand? You’d be the ‘kingslayer’

Thats the whole point though.

If you are injured in the leg you should be at a disadvantage, making it harder for you to get that 10th or 20th kill in a killstreak. this is what im saying, if you were in a fight and got hurt you wouldnt be as effective in the next fight. hence what would happen here.

• that’s why i said it would be good for a mod, but not a global change to the game.

make some combat medics that can patch you up, and you’d have a whole shebang.

• @clayton-bigsby:

that’s why i said it would be good for a mod, but not a global change to the game.

make some combat medics that can patch you up, and you’d have a whole shebang.

I actually like that one. a new class being a combat medic very clever.

Get to see the injured player have a bandage with blood on the cloth displayed on the injured part of the body.

Leg: in multiple places can change each time
    Arm: same as leg
    Chest: same as leg
    Head: can have it covering an eye but also other ways wrapped around head.

But after even the patch up might be worth keeping the injury to an extent rather than being fully healed.

• Would be nice to have a reason to aim for the legs :D

• horrible idea…
    This would be like the Pro Bowl or the All Star game where players barely play so they don’t get hurt. This would slow down the game already more than it is and make archers all that more powerful…

• @Retsnom:

horrible idea…
    This would be like the Pro Bowl or the All Star game where players barely play so they don’t get hurt. This would slow down the game already more than it is and make archers all that more powerful…

then you have a server restricting amount of archers, plus people wont hang back otherwise nothing will happen in the game. people dont play on hardcore in fallout and just sit there doing nothing do they.

• @Dogtag19:

@Retsnom:

horrible idea…

then you have a server restricting amount of archers, plus people wont hang back otherwise nothing will happen in the game. people dont play on hardcore in fallout and just sit there doing nothing do they.

Don’t worry all ideas are horrible ideas to restnom. The slightest hint of change and he’s up in arms.

• This is a great idea for a battle sim mode or a realism mode, but if this is just a all or none type of thing, then it is going to slow the game down even more. When taken with the stuns and flinches, delays and glitches, it would probably be a bit over the top. In the right context though, this is a fantastic idea.

This game’s biggest missing feature is flexibility. Giving players choices would foster greater change and innovative ideas like this faster than the current “all or none” approach implemented in game.