Devs, striking from left?

• One of the devs said a few days ago that they are thinking about away to allow players to start striking from the left. Any ideas so far ?

• I wouldn’t expect to hear any progress on this for a while - it seems like something that’d take some reworking of the current melee code as well as animation work and a lot of testing, assuming it goes through at all. There’s a lot to get done with the release of the game coming in a couple weeks; major tweaks to base mechanics like this aren’t exactly top priority.

• Assymetrical gameplay could be something the devs did willingfully : shields are on your left, protecting from arrows there, weapons strike at your right first…

• Well… it’s just a lot more animation work honestly. Currently left swings animate off the end of a combo, for this they would have to animate from neutral, so every weapon or swing type or whatever would need new animations, that’s a lot of work.

I’d be in favor of it honestly ;)

• well, i came from to this game after M&B and at first i was a lil bit pissed of about how simple the game is, no attack holding, no strike from left … but after all maybe ill get on with it :D
    my idea on this striking from left thingy: controls stay same, except when you are close to environment and your slash from right side would stuck the game would start the combo from left side on its own, or if both left and right side would stuck then it would perform an overhead attack, how about this ?

• Seems a little bit like the game playing itself for you.

• I’d rather they focused on fixing the combo animation bug that has the model glitch out and strike from the forehand twice during a combo. Only appears from the opponents perspective, like all animation bugs, but I checked with a player a number of times to see if he was feinting extremely late or something but he confirmed it was a combo.

• @Zedard:

my idea on this striking from left thingy: controls stay same, except when you are close to environment and your slash from right side would stuck the game would start the combo from left side on its own, or if both left and right side would stuck then it would perform an overhead attack, how about this ?

My idea would be something like Mortal Online did it: the direction you’re moving to basically defines the direction of the swing. But they did it really unintuitively there. The attack always came from another direction than what I thought it would.

My suggestion would still be to implement a M&B style directional attack as an alternative to the normal keybindings.

• ^^^^

I want them to do that, but they already said they won’t. For some reason they say it takes out the skill…while I think it would add to it.

• These types of directional attacks take away much of the control of your character.

• @Mkilbride:

^^^^

I want them to do that, but they already said they won’t. For some reason they say it takes out the skill…while I think it would add to it.

But they wouldn’t have to change anything animation wise. It’s basically just “moving mouse slightly forward + left mouse button” instead of “roll mouseweel forward”. Hasn’t really anything to do with skill.

M&B is even offering the option to use buttons instead of mouse directions, but apparently nobody is using this since it obviously sucks :P

Why not offer both options?

• /Deleted/

• Not sure I would agree with Warband’s directional attack system being “easier”. Of course it’s second nature for long timer’s but many new players get either frustrated or fall in love and practice ALOT to really get it down -really more of the manual blocking than attacking though. Even “Pro’s” that take a break from the game tend to say that they need a few days to get back into top shape :)

The combat in this game is exceptionally fun already but I would definitly love to see left to right added as that would complete the feeling of control.

• Pros say that everywhere, and that’s just a cheap excuse to themselves, not anyone else but themselves, for not performing good, it’s the elitist syndrom.

Next step is being afraid to play other games because you don’t want to start as a new player again, so you’re stuck with a game forever.

• Vouched! Disregarding anything M&B, it should still be imperative that a full 4-way directional attack control be in a game purely focused on melee combat, especially since TBS painstakingly crafted all the intricate hitboxing, about 1/4 of that is not being put to use right now (arbitrarily speaking)!

Now how they are going to implement and differentiate left swing vs right swing input, that would be puzzling, especially as a vocal fraction of AoC fans are opposed to M&B control scheme.

• I suppose you will have to hold the LMB or double-click or something if you want to strike from a different direction…seems a good option to me anyway.

I don’t think this has anything to do with M&B’s control scheme, as it still wouldn’t involve the player having to move the mouse (I saw a few posts from Tiberius where he was against this). The only similarity with M&B if they implement striking from left is the ability to strike from left, and I feel that such kind of control suits any medieval game.

• Another way is two different switchable stances, everything the same except your char holds weapon another way and slashes from the left. Lets say you play as vanguard with 2handed sword, you press ‘k’ and he just puts his sword in front of him (instead of default stance with sword slightly backwards , i guess its called ‘metal door’) and your slash begins from the left.
    also will add variety in overall look of battlefield

• Just from watching videos of gameplay I would say any form of directional attacking would be bad for the game. In M&B it was fine because the combat is much slower than Chivalry but in a game this fast directional attacking is just too fidgety. Plus it would probably be harmful to the movie combat feel they’re going for… it’s not like directional blocking where you’re tracking an enemy’s movement and it feels right, it makes sense; directional attacking is a weird, unintuitive and figdety control input and that’s what it feels like in-game. That’s just my opinions anyway.

As for controls, why not a simple modifier? Lshift+mouse click would surely do. I imagine people will be remapping their keys like that anyway, I personally don’t like the sound of using my mousewheel, especially for combos, but what do I know I haven’t played yet.

• @evil:

Another way is two different switchable stances, everything the same except your char holds weapon another way and slashes from the left. Lets say you play as vanguard with 2handed sword, you press ‘k’ and he just puts his sword in front of him (instead of default stance with sword slightly backwards , i guess its called ‘metal door’) and your slash begins from the left.

That would be even more complicate than the M&B scheme

• @Siegbert:

@evil:

Another way is two different switchable stances, everything the same except your char holds weapon another way and slashes from the left. Lets say you play as vanguard with 2handed sword, you press ‘k’ and he just puts his sword in front of him (instead of default stance with sword slightly backwards , i guess its called ‘metal door’) and your slash begins from the left.

That would be even more complicate than the M&B scheme

How is that?