Punishments for exploiting, hacking, you name it!

• Hello!

I usually play a little Chivalry every day and don’t mind being killed nearly half of the time. However, the thing I do have a problem with is people exploiting some in-game features which clearly should be fixed.
    For example, more than once I’ve seen hunchbacks running around the battlefield apparently searching for pennies on the ground. The camera doesn’t seem to be a problem for them, although you never even once see them lift their heads to actually take a look where they’re heading (or hunching in this case).
    The main problem with this mechanic is that their overhead swings, the most powerful blows in the game, hit so easily it’s ridiculous.

What further makes the issue more pressing, is that currently there seems to be no punishment mechanic to get rid of these players. Once you’ve finished for a day, all you can do is hope that the next time you won’t counter them again. But lo and behold, suddenly a whole host of people got lower back problems or are trying to communicate with the grass.

Medieval healthcare wasn’t as advanced as one can expect nowadays, but this is just absurd.

• it’s actually people like you making ridiculous posts like this that ruin the game… torn banner sees you calling something an exploit, and then nerf it to fit your noobish needs. You can’t deal with someone staring at the ground? my goodness. lets just remove the ability to move your torso then… no more ducking, that’s an exploit, no more leaning back, that’s an exploit, no more dragging or speeding up overheads, that’s an exploit. lets just take all maneuvering out of the game and make a swing parry fest with some feints mixed in… lets get it dumbed down as far as possible so the plebs like you can have a good time being boring.

ffs :h1:

• For an experienced player, it’s might sound ridiculous, because we know how to deal with someone picking at our feet. But for a newer players, or players that just want a more intuitive system, it’s a valid complaint.

The main issues with crouch attacking is similar to other issues involving attacking. Parrying crouch attacks is inconsistent. Some overheads with a dagger will hit your feet, other overheads will hit your head, despite the attacker aiming at the same location.

It’s my belief that the unintuitiveness of the current system lies in the parrytracers. But I think it’s best left for another discussion that more accurately covers that topic, rather than one more focused on crouching.

The current system doesn’t need to be change, but it isn’t very intuitive either. What I have trouble understanding are veteran players that automatically assume newer players complaints are ridiculous. I would rather see a game that continues to attract new players and remain entertaining for existing players.

• most players who end up looking like this are using 3rd person a lot. I’ll say the camera angle can be a bit weird otherwise. First person is better though.

• Just because it is unintuitive doesn’t mean it is exploitative.

• it’s actually people like you making ridiculous posts like this that ruin the game…

His post does make a lot of sense. Or you think that seeing a lot of people staring at their feet while in combat is fine? It looks terrible and can be seen as exploiting for those less experienced. I have my ways to deal with such people, but it doesn’t change the fact they make the game and combat look really silly and that’s a legitimate concern.

• Hell Ya its an exploit looking down and useing an over head strike
    Very valid post good sir well said
    Lmao its like movin your torso !!! I can’t freaking beilieve you said that clayton lmao

• I wish I had the capability to record in-game footage; I’d love to do a video contrasting the Chivalry trailers vs the reality of Chivalry gameplay. High-level play has very little in common with what the designers had imagined.

Don’t get me wrong: the game is fun as hell as it is, but it sure looks stupid most of the time.

• @clayton-bigsby:

it’s actually people like you making ridiculous posts like this that ruin the game… torn banner sees you calling something an exploit, and then nerf it to fit your noobish needs. You can’t deal with someone staring at the ground? my goodness. lets just remove the ability to move your torso then… no more ducking, that’s an exploit, no more leaning back, that’s an exploit, no more dragging or speeding up overheads, that’s an exploit. lets just take all maneuvering out of the game and make a swing parry fest with some feints mixed in… lets get it dumbed down as far as possible so the plebs like you can have a good time being boring.

ffs :h1:

Dude calm down, I know what you feel when you read that post but this guy just start playing.
    Can you imagine to start playing this game now? How frustrating it must be to face people who have hundreds of hours behind them…

Some people accept and work hard to adapt but some prefer to stay where they are and complain, that’s life…

• @stickytape:

I wish I had the capability to record in-game footage; I’d love to do a video contrasting the Chivalry trailers vs the reality of Chivalry gameplay. High-level play has very little in common with what the designers had imagined.

Don’t get me wrong: the game is fun as hell as it is, but it sure looks stupid most of the time.

This is probably true for just about every game in existence. I mean, how many Starcraft trailers showcase a Terran army of nothing but marines, marauders and medivacs bunching up shoulder to shoulder, or a dozen mutalisks stacked together in a blob roughly one mutalisk wide? ;)

• @SlyGoat:

@stickytape:

I wish I had the capability to record in-game footage; I’d love to do a video contrasting the Chivalry trailers vs the reality of Chivalry gameplay. High-level play has very little in common with what the designers had imagined.

This is probably true for just about every game in existence. I mean, how many Starcraft trailers showcase a Terran army of nothing but marines, marauders and medivacs bunching up shoulder to shoulder, or a dozen mutalisks stacked together in a blob roughly one mutalisk wide? ;)

Maybe not the best example, as Starcraft looks about how it should at the pro level (with ZvZ matchups being a notable exception) but it’s a fair point.

Still, I often feel kinda bummed-out when I realize that, as a mediocre player, the only way for me to really improve is to start learning the really counter-intuitive, flaily moves that look ridiculous but win fights. I actually avoid this stuff for fear of looking like my vanguard is trying to communicate via semaphore while having a seizure. If you can’t do something in style, it isn’t worth doing.

• @SlyGoat:

@stickytape:

That doesn’t mean you just give up on trying to focus your game though. I don’t have a problem with people using whatever is available to them in a game but it does suck that their options end up making the game and overall experience look wonky.

TBS should look into ways to allow the highest level of play while still trying to make it intuitive and with some semblance of their original vision. Instead of saying “Well that’s pretty much what every game devolves into” why not work on providing an option for high skilled players that doesn’t involve silly looking mechanics?

• @stickytape:

Funny you mention that because just last night I was having a good time and suddenly out of nowhere, Claymore Vanguard running around in 3rd person randomly turning around and hitting people without ever stopping

I mean if that’s high level play I dont ever want to be good

• Exept for Km|Skyfall I have never met a high level player who has based their entire Chivalry career on this exploit. So while it is a problem, it is a minor one that I am not sure the devs should spend time trying to fix at this point. Best strategy is just to shame the few players who use this exploit, or just ignore them and move on.

• @KELTIC:

Hell Ya its an exploit looking down and useing an over head strike
    Lmao its like movin your torso !!! I can’t freaking beilieve you said that clayton lmao

what don’t you believe about what i said? Moving mouse up or down controls torso… was i wrong?

And for those that have issue with this, what is your suggestion? Remove torso movement? Don’t let people look at the ground? what?, have it only be head movement and no body? Pardon me but that would be stupid… further removing more variety and control over your character, everyone just staring straight ahead, all attacks being exactly the same speed, only actual move would be feints at that point since you can’t exactly punish missed strikes any more, what are people supposed to do then? feint anytime you want to get a hit in? Then theres noobs on another thread complaining about feints, so lets take all of it away and just make chivalry: noob warfare or chivalry: 0 options warfare.

• @Snauke:

@stickytape:

Funny you mention that because just last night I was having a good time and suddenly out of nowhere, Claymore Vanguard running around in 3rd person randomly turning around and hitting people without ever stopping

I mean if that’s high level play I dont ever want to be good

People can do that in first person as well. And its harder than it looks(if they actually did well with it). But I guess people should just line up and charge people head on so it doesn’t look ridiculous to anyone. Also high level play is whatever you are good at, just do it great. I had my own unique style when I was in matches that pretty much relied on working off of teammates. So you can complain how high level play is, or find a way to make your play work.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@KELTIC:

Hell Ya its an exploit looking down and useing an over head strike

what don’t you believe about what i said? Moving mouse up or down controls torso… was i wrong?

And for those that have issue with this, what is your suggestion? Remove torso movement? Don’t let people look at the ground? what?, have it only be head movement and no body? Pardon me but that would be stupid… further removing more variety and control over your character, everyone just staring straight ahead, all attacks being exactly the same speed, only actual move would be feints at that point since you can’t exactly punish missed strikes any more, what are people supposed to do then? feint anytime you want to get a hit in? Then theres noobs on another thread complaining about feints, so lets take all of it away and just make chivalry: noob warfare or chivalry: 0 options warfare.

Dude, relaaaax and back away slowly from the slippery slope. I completely sympathize with your fear that TB is going to make poor decisions about the game based on feedback from ill-informed players, but putting words in people’s mouths and throwing “noob” around everywhere isn’t helping either.

I don’t actually have any suggestions, I just wanted to express that, while I have great fun playing the game as it is, I think it looks pretty silly. This is a low-priority problem for me: so long as the game is fun, everything else can take the back seat. But if it’s possible to address the seizure-fu without screwing up the game, then great. I don’t see how, but I don’t think there’s much harm in at least talking calmly about it.

I think other people have suggested in other threads that TB try to implement some kind of system that measures the force of a blow relative to velocity and the inherent strength of the weapon rather than just hit-or-not-hit, but that sounds too complicated to me. More realistic, maybe, but I don’t want to be the one who has to code it. :P Besides, I only want so much realism in this game. Fun > realism.

Beyond that I have no idea where to start.

• @ChuckingIt:

People can do that in first person as well. And its harder than it looks(if they actually did well with it). But I guess people should just line up and charge people head on so it doesn’t look ridiculous to anyone.

That’s not what I say at all. The run’n’gun gameplay is just a pain in the ass to play and to fight both imho, I played like that for a time when I was zwei vanguarding and I dont think this style is good for the game, that is all.

PS : On the other hand I have no problem whatsoever with real time strikes and using your upper body to dodge strike

• This is a direct result of one of the biggest mistakes in releasing the game. Allowing 3rd person. The second thing was having cross hairs and really bad camera angles. They should have learned that they had some perfection from developing Age of Chivalry and should have brought that over into Chivalry. I would say though that it is not an exploit, not really. IF you nerf it you will have to nerf every thing else that noobs whine about and we see where that has gotten us. Increased collusion bubble of fail is just one of many examples of really poor choices in fixing problems that don’t really exist. But I digress as I have been consistent in my critiques and they are all over the forums.

• Always glad to find reasonable people on these forums. Apart from the occasional ad hominems, most of you understood my point.

To make matters clear, I am not complaining because “I just started playing and want everything dumbed down”. Nor am I complaining about camera angles, 3rd person view or anything else intended to be included in the game.
    The problem is with the wonky way the game registers, as mentioned in dpunk’s comment, the swings of the overhead attacks and how people can exploit this (I imagine unintended) mechanic and just roll with it.
    Since Quasimodo’s head is already in an angle, the hunchback’s overheads seem to land the hit faster than a regular overhead would. This being the most powerful way to attack, other swings become obsolete, which in turn takes away the complexity of dueling or just fighting head-to-head.

As also mentioned in dpunk’s comment, the hunchback overheads seem to register in an odd fashion. Some hit the feet, some hit the head. I have no problem with people taking swings or stabs at someone’s feet, that’s strategy. However, when you have a sure and safe way to land the most powerful blow in the game to the head of your enemy in record time, that’s a bit game-breaking to say the least.

I hope this clears some confusion.