Any chance on redesigning the microtransaction system?

• I was pretty excited when I heard about microtransactions to buy fancy new armour. Really, I was all set with my paypal account ready. Then I see the actual system in place and what is currently offered and how it is currently offered, and I was really disappointed :(, and I don’t know if I’m going buy anything now. Anyway, I mean no disrespect to TB for the work they put into this, but these are my thoughts:

• Why is the purchase system in-game and not done as Steam DLC (although I guess its like “hidden” Steam DLC atm)?

• I personally feel like displaying the new DLC as actual Steam DLC would be easier for the customer to make purchases. It just feels appropriate.

• Obviously there was an amount of development time dedicated to implementing the store feature in the game, despite there already being a tool to do this (Steam). I feel like that is a waste of development time and resources. Of course, this feature also looks like it didn’t cost much in the way of development time, so maybe this point isn’t really valid.

• I’m not certain about this, but it seems one can only use steam credit to make purchases? If that is the case, then that is ridiculous. Yes, you could use other payment options to add steam credit, but that is an inconvenience (ex. left over steam credit that can’t really be used for much).

• Why are there only DLC collections for sale, instead of individual items to purchase?

• I don’t really feel like I even need to elaborate on why this is lame. To me its fairly obvious that a lot of players are not or being hesitant about making purchases because they don’t want to pay for things they don’t want. Doing individual sales would generate more money, it seems to me, if that was the motivation to do collective sales, that is to generate more money.

• Again with using Steam DLC as the front for microtransactions, it would be very appropriate to do single sale items as separate DLC, as seen in games like Dawn of War 2 (Retribution), specifically for the Last Stand mode in the game.

• Any chance of interchangeable faction armour? (Armour with one purchase that can be used by either faction, Agatha or Mason.)

• I didn’t even think of there being a possibility that the DLC would be faction specific. Sure, it makes sense that armour should be expected to be specific to a faction. Also it would help with faction differentiation on the battlefield and such. But to make such a large emphasis on faction specific armour? That doesn’t make sense. Maybe a minority of the DLC is faction specific, but most of it should be faction neutral, so used by both factions. And faction neutral armour shouldn’t cause issues with faction differentiation in games because of the colour themes that go on top of the armour. Also, faction choice isn’t a really a significant aspect of this game IMO, nor something the player really has control of. Usually a player just joins a game and maybe joins a faction they are preferring at the moment, anyway that’s what I understand.

• This actually makes me hesitant about purchasing, also. If I buy cool new armour, only sometimes I can use it, with little influence from me to decide if I do or not. I don’t want that! I always want to use my cool armour! So again maybe if the intent was to force additional purchases out of a player, which I doubt it was, it doesn’t seem to be working that well.

• I disagree with your last point. I don’t think a retail game should change their game design like a F2P would because of their cash shop.

• It’s fine as it is. Just pop the money in your steam wallet and you’re away. Easy as pie.
    Anything left over will go towards your next steam purchase anyway if You so wish.

Faction specific helmets are for identification reasons. Its $10.00 for all the helmets.

The steam wallet is a kinda new feature that no one has really used much. Chivalry decided to take advantage of it.

And geuss what how is faction specific any different from class specific? In TF2 you buy 1 hat for $3.00. You can only use it for say the sniper.

In chiv you get 4 helmets for $5.00 in a pack all for one faction.

• @dpunk:

I disagree with your last point. I don’t think a retail game should change their game design like a F2P would because of their cash shop.

I’m confused. I can’t seem to find something I said that related to changing the game design. Could you quote the text?

• @5hassay:

@dpunk:

I disagree with your last point. I don’t think a retail game should change their game design like a F2P would because of their cash shop.

I’m confused. I can’t seem to find something I said that related to changing the game design. Could you quote the text?

Faction specific helmets maybe? You didn’t like it and wanted them to be interchangeable.

• @lemonater47:

…Just pop the money in your steam wallet and you’re away. Easy as pie.
    Anything left over will go towards your next steam purchase anyway if You so wish.

yes, but I don’t like that, and I know there’s a good amount of other people who don’t like that. It feels like a loss of money, its not tidy, et cetera. Sure, its a little nitpicky.

@lemonater47:

The steam wallet is a kinda new feature that no one has really used much. Chivalry decided to take advantage of it.

how are you using “new”? Steam wallet has been around since a start using steam, which is about 3 years ago.

@lemonater47:

Faction specific helmets are for identification reasons….

well, I don’t think its ONLY for identification reasons, but like I said in the OP, I do see that as a valid reason.

@lemonater47:

And geuss what how is faction specific any different from class specific? In TF2 you buy 1 hat for $3.00. You can only use it for say the sniper.

I like this point about about faction specific vs class specific. I’ll have to think on that.

• @lemonater47:

Faction specific helmets maybe? You didn’t like it and wanted them to be interchangeable.

oh… Well, that wasn’t what I was trying to say. I meant that I would like to see NEW interchangeable, faction neutral armour.

• @5hassay:

@lemonater47:

…Just pop the money in your steam wallet and you’re away. Easy as pie.

yes, but I don’t like that, and I know there’s a good amount of other people who don’t like that. It feels like a loss of money, its not tidy, et cetera. Sure, its a little nitpicky.

@lemonater47:

how are you using “new”? Steam wallet has been around since a start using steam, which is about 3 years ago.

@lemonater47:

Faction specific helmets are for identification reasons….

well, I don’t think its ONLY for identification reasons, but like I said in the OP, I do see that as a valid reason.

@lemonater47:

I like this point about about faction specific vs class specific. I’ll have to think on that.

It was never advertised and kept in the background with no game taking advantage of it. And if you ask most people today when it came out many will say this year. As it finally came into plain sight for the first time. And now chivalry is taking advantage of it.

• As far as I understand it (because I asked this myself), making the transactions in-game and purchasable only with funds from your Steam wallet allows us to have compatibility with the Steam inventory system - so if we ever decide to utilize features like trading, we’ll be able to easily. If we sold it as DLC on the store page, it would become completely nontransferable so we’d never have that option.

• @SlyGoat:

As far as I understand it (because I asked this myself), making the transactions in-game and purchasable only with funds from your Steam wallet allows us to have compatibility with the Steam inventory system - so if we ever decide to utilize features like trading, we’ll be able to easily. If we sold it as DLC on the store page, it would become completely nontransferable so we’d never have that option.

ohhhhhh! If that’s true, then I’m cool with that, and I hope that they do implement a trading system. Thanks for the info

• @lemonater47:

It was never advertised and kept in the background with no game taking advantage of it. And if you ask most people today when it came out many will say this year. As it finally came into plain sight for the first time. And now chivalry is taking advantage of it.

huh. I never knew people thought of the Steam credit system that way.

you might want to scroll up (from this post) and see SlyGoat’s post. He suggested a reason to current system for the DLC (in-game and using Steam credit).