Clarification about the damage types

• hi

i would like to know which different damage types are in the game and how they affect armor.
    i.e. whats best vs a knight, whats best vs a vanguard etc.
    also: do some weapons more than one damagetype depending on the attack animation?

and what i would like to know:

thrust: highest range, lowest damage
    slash: mid range, mid damage
    overhead swing: lowest range, highest damage

is this correct? and are there speed differences too?

thank you in advance!

• Somethings I picked up.

I think it was the tutorial npc saying .Maces/maul are good vs plate armour.
    Broadhead arrow good for low armour, bodkins vs plate.

• Knight:
    50% from Axe
    60% from Stab
    40% from Slash
    60% from Blunt

Vanguard:
    65% from Axe
    80% from Stab
    60% from Slash
    70% from Blunt

Man-at-Arms:
    105% from Axe
    105% from Stab
    85% from Slash
    85% from Blunt

Archer:
    90% from Axe
    90% from Stab
    100% from Slash
    100% from Blunt

Headshots increase damage by 25%
    Leg shots reduce damage by 20%

Holy Water Sprinkler and Morningstar do their own unique damage type which is a combination of piercing/blunt the way axe damage is slashing/blunt, but I haven’t tested the modifiers for it yet. I think I’ll do that now actually.

Thrust/Slash/Overhead speed, damage and range depends heavily on the weapon. For example, spear weapons have a true overhead, they have a secondary high and quick stab attack which for some reason does blunt damage (the slash does blunt too, but that makes sense).

• but that would mean stab is great vs everything.
    when i use a sword, is it always slas damage or is it stab-damage if i thrust and slash damage if i slash from right to left?

• Stab damage is great vs. everything, yes.

And damage type depends on the attack and weapon used. For example, thrusting with a mace will still do blunt (or blunt/pierce) damage, but thrusting with a sword or polearm will do stab damage.

• so do you think if u are a man at arms and are fighting a knight or a vanguard you should always go for the stab (if u use swords) if you know that u will hit for sure? (i.e. after a succesfull block).

• This really needs to be explained in-game.

• Multiple stabs cannot be comboed together like slashes and overheads, so they’re best used as counterattacks after a parry, or to poke an enemy and get out of range before they can retaliate, as well as flinching enemies - or as part of a stab-slash or slash-stab combo.

There can be plenty of other reasons to mix up your attacks, too, regardless of which single attack is the best. If you tend to stab a lot and the enemy has been successfully parrying your stabs, it’s often effective to feint a stab and then go for an overhead or slash. With twohanders especially I’ll often do a double feint - start with a stab, then feint into an overhead, and then back to the stab. It can seriously mess up the other guy’s timing if he expected the feint and thought the second attack was the real one. At the same time, though, this tactic is hugely stamina consuming, so if it fails it’s unwise to attempt it twice.

And of course, when fighting groups of enemies, going in slashing like a madman is usually the right answer.

• Problem with this game is the stab is the only useful attack. i.e. if youre not stabbing youre doing it wrong!

It does the most damage and it almost instantly hits to the front (like the 360attack on the aoc flail).

• u write about 4 different damage types:

stab
    slash
    axe
    blunt

but ingame i have found only 3 different damage types, there were:

pierce
    cut
    chop
    blunt

so i guess its like that:

stab = pierce
    slash = cut
    axe = chop
    blunt = blunt

but for swords the ingame description says that they deal only cut damage, but if you stab and overhead they deal pierce damage?

• Yea i think thats what Slygoat means. You can even look for yourself by looking through the file called “UDKWeaponAttachment.ini” found in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\Config”

Looks like there’s a new damage type called “SwingBlunt” which is different to “Swing”(being cut/slash)

• A “Swing” is essentially a light cut, most associated with 1H and 2H sword slashes and overheads. This includes Broadhead arrows.

A “SwingBlunt” is a heavy cut - heavy swords such as the Falchion and Messer, all axes, and heavy polearms such as the Halberd and Poleaxe will deal this damage type if they have a sharp edge. They deal 50% “Swing” damage and 50% “Blunt” damage.

A “Blunt” attack can apply to any attack that deals blunt force damage such as maces or even the spear smash (Attack1).

A “Pierce” is for the majority of stabs in the game and includes Bodkin Arrows.

A “PierceBlunt” is for blunt weapons that also deal pierce damage (have spikes and such on them), such as the Morning Star. They deal 50% “Blunt” damage and 50% “Pierce” damage.

• Alright, PierceBlunt (henceforth “Spike” because it’s short and catchy) damage is kinda weird. It does less than piercing or blunt against a knight, and for some reason archers are more resistant to it than any other damage type. In fact with the armor values all laid out, archers in general have better armor than men-at-arms, taking 93% damage on average while MaA takes 97% on average - granted the 15% reduction to slash saves them from a lot of things that kill archers in one hit (broadheads from a war bow being the most notable).

So assuming these values haven’t changed in a patch without being noted, here’s the finally complete armor values of each class. Vanguard is really the only one that conforms to axe and spike damage being halfway between slash/blunt and stab/blunt.

Knight:
    50% from Axe
    60% from Stab
    40% from Slash
    60% from Blunt
    55% from Spike

Vanguard:
    65% from Axe
    80% from Stab
    60% from Slash
    70% from Blunt
    75% from Spike

Man-at-Arms:
    105% from Axe
    105% from Stab
    85% from Slash
    85% from Blunt
    105% from Spike

Archer:
    90% from Axe
    90% from Stab
    100% from Slash
    100% from Blunt
    85% from Spike

• and for some reason archers are more resistant to it than any other damage type

What. Unless the swing type system was changed from the time I departed, that makes no sense whatsoever because PierceBlunt wasn’t actually a modifier by itself, it was a mix of both Pierce and Blunt modifiers, therefore, it HAS to be between (exactly, for that matter) the Pierce and Blunt damage percentages and it can never go outside either one.

Mike, Brady, can we get confirmation of every armour related modifier please (should be 12 in total - 3 standards x 4 classes and the hybrids doing 50% of each if that still stands)? These were the only things stat wise that weren’t stored in the configs.

• Developer

Sure. This is how they are right now.

Damage Resistances

Archer:
    Swing = 1
    Pierce = 0.9
    Blunt = 0.8

PierceBlunt = 0.85
    SwingBlunt = 0.9
    PierceSlash = 1

MAA:
    Swing = 0.85
    Pierce = 0.85
    Blunt = 0.85

PierceBlunt = 0.85
    SwingBlunt = 0.85
    PierceSlash = 0.85

Vanguard:
    Swing = 0.6
    Pierce = 0.8
    Blunt = 0.7

PierceBlunt = 0.85
    SwingBlunt = 0.75
    PierceSlash = 0.6

Knight:
    Swing = 0.4
    Pierce = 0.5
    Blunt = 0.6

PierceBlunt = 0.55
    SwingBlunt = 0.5
    PierceSlash = 0.4

Damage Types

Pierce:
    Pierce = 1.0

Blunt:
    Blunt = 1.0

Swing:
    Swing = 1.0

PierceBlunt:
    Pierce = 0.5
    Blunt = 0.5

SwingBlunt:
    Swing = 0.5
    Blunt = 0.5

PierceSlash:
    Swing = 1.0

All others (e.g. BallistaBolt) always deal 100% damage.

• Awesome, cheers!

• Were they different in a previous patch? I’m confused how I was getting such off results. I set the game speed to 40% to make sure I didn’t get any head hits. I don’t know if there’s an option to show swing traces so I guess it’s possible I was still clipping the neck - would explain the MaA results at least.

• Developer

MAA’s resistances haven’t changed for a long time. The numbers you got would match with head hits, though.

• Thought you guys might like my arrow info for the Longbow (seems Broadheads are useless…)

Broadhead Arrow:
    Knight: 48/head 32/body 21/legs
    Vanguard: 72/head 48/body 31/legs
    MAA: 102/head 68/body 44/legs
    Archer: 120/head 80/body 52/legs

Bodkin Arrow:
    Knight: 60/head 40/body 26/legs
    Vanguard: 96/head 64/body 42/legs
    MAA: 102/head 68/body 44/legs
    Archer: 108/head 72/body 47/legs