Change your culture

• Congratulations on reaching 1.2 million copies sold! This is a laudable feat and deserving of praise especially for a small studio. You’ve done a good job introducing the first-person slasher to many PC gamers. I will follow that statement up with this one: it’s good to be good, and better to get better.

My idea / suggestion is this - change your culture to the ethos espoused on your splash screen: “Passion and Innovation in game design.” You guys certainly talk the talk, now start walking the walk. You can make all the cosmetic changes you want to forums and character skins, but if the underlying core is rotten nothing will ever really change. My impression after playing this game since January 2013 is that you make knee-jerk changes to key components of the combat system and fail to understand the ramifications of your changes. I feel that a fundamental lack of understanding of the combat system by the developers is at least partially to blame for such changes.

This is a relatively new genre and if you want to move to its forefront your passion for developing, refining and testing a solid combat system must be second to none. If you don’t do it, someone else surely will.

• Passion and innovation in video game design. They are not wrong. Thy are very passionate about making video games. An they are very innovative when it comes to doing things.

Now if they said “Quality and polish in video game design” then you have something to complain about.

The changes to the combat system were for the best an the game is far more balanced than it was before. More buggy yes but more balanced. The only thing they did wrong wa the bubble. Its a bit too big.

And the combat system is second to none. Skyrim combat is cardboard boxes. Mount and blade combat is really clunky, war of the roses combat is even worse.

Overgrowth combat comes close. Very close. Problem is its a bit LMb spammy and with weapons its based on luck rather than skill. It looks damn cool though. But that’s been in development fo 10 years. If you include the prequel development. Its been in alpha for four years. Though for multiplayer you really need 0 ping as its so fast paced.

Name me a game which you think has better combat.

• just need to play the game more … instead of relying fully on feedback on forums, play the game for more than a half hour and see for yourself what needs to be fixed/changed per whatever it is the vision for the game is now. The game functioned much better back when i first got the game than now, a less buggy mess… mechanics changes aside, there weren’t so many desyncs, weird strikes going through models, and swings gonig through parries and such (and no i don’t mean around them)

• @clayton-bigsby:

just need to play the game more … instead of relying fully on feedback on forums, play the game for more than a half hour and see for yourself what needs to be fixed/changed per whatever it is the vision for the game is now. The game functioned much better back when i first got the game than now, a less buggy mess… mechanics changes aside, there weren’t so many desyncs, weird strikes going through models, and swings gonig through parries and such (and no i don’t mean around them)

They added more stuff which brought more bugs. More bugs come in at a rate faster than they fix them. And they seem to fix bugs no one knows about.

Also desyncs and swings going through shit vary server to server. Down here multiplay have gotten their act together and the ping on their servers has been halfed from about 140-150 down to about 70. So people play on them now. But random desyncs happen at least once a game to a player. While on the servers I play on and moderate random desyncs virtually never happen. Though you do et the occasional player who is just desynced from the server untill he rejoins. Its worse for him though. And occasionally that player would go invisible. Though a rejoin fixes that problem.

The game “seemed” to function better when we all bought it. Problem is we didn’t really know how it was supposed to function properly for the first couple of months.

I you ask me the game seemed to have gotten worse sometime in December before CU1.

• well i don’t think i ever saw any desyncs when the game first came out, attacks and parries seemed to function the way you think they would by actually looking at tips of weapons.

I don’t know if you’ve seen the flails buckler attack lately, but it’s almost like blocking the falchion was before… i actually know someone that got pretty damn good with it so that gives me hope that the flail isn’t totally worthless.

Swings going through people is a huge issue, and now it even seems like a lot of pokes go through parries, and yeah i know you can go around parries but i’m talking about ones that come straight at you in a line… something is weird there.

Also, plenty of other unfixed bugs in the game that have been recently added. And whats with the jetpack shit? i’m pretty sure it’s an admin command but i’ve even seen it on official TO servers, some archer just floating up in the sky. Some weird thing where people can keep jumping up and up higher into the sky… it’s a well guarded secret.

• The unreal engine is the most temperamental game engine I’ve ever seen as well. Its a right bitch to use right.

The flail buckler wasn’t good to begin with and was made worse by the community. The community wanted to see over the buckler so they changed the way it was held and now its a piece of shit. Thiugh the animation changes did seem to make it better at attacking. It should be just like the archer and MAA buckler but with a bit less stamina drain becuase he’s a tank. That’s how it should be.

People flying up in the air won’t be fixed as long as it stays a well guarded secret.