Anyone working on enhancing or improving materials/textures?

• Basically, the materials/textures in the game currently aren’t exactly top quality. just wondering if there is anyone out there that will, or has been working on making for example, the grass in chivalry look better.

• @MetalDevil19:

Basically, the materials/textures in the game currently aren’t exactly top quality. just wondering if there is anyone out there that will, or has been working on making for example, the grass in chivalry look better.

at this stage that woulnt be possible, ul have to recook all the packages whit high res textures, recreating all the normal maps etc. Client side modding is not supported at this stage so if u want to make it a mod it will be a very very big file.

• @YodadaJew:

@MetalDevil19:

Basically, the materials/textures in the game currently aren’t exactly top quality. just wondering if there is anyone out there that will, or has been working on making for example, the grass in chivalry look better.

at this stage that woulnt be possible, ul have to recook all the packages whit high res textures, recreating all the normal maps etc. Client side modding is not supported at this stage so if u want to make it a mod it will be a very very big file.

I think that is what he’s asking for. Similar to the overhauls for Skyrim that are 3gb in size for high res textures

• Until they actually and correctly optimize both maps, models, player models and the netcode there would be no reason to do higher resolution textures as that would just kill 90% of the computers and FPS would just die.

• @Retsnom:

Until they actually and correctly optimize both maps, models, player models and the netcode there would be no reason to do higher resolution textures as that would just kill 90% of the computers and FPS would just die.

That’s why he’s suggesting a MOD. Game developers don’t tend to make mods necessary to play games. They are usually optional. So those with good enough computers could run such a mod no problemo while those who can’t wont get the mod.

Its sorta how mods work.

And chivalry:DW is said to support 64 players. Which means either they are optimising maps and textures and making the netcode better OR they have gone completely bonkers.

• @lemonater47:

@Retsnom:

Until they actually and correctly optimize both maps, models, player models and the netcode there would be no reason to do higher resolution textures as that would just kill 90% of the computers and FPS would just die.

That’s why he’s suggesting a MOD. Game developers don’t tend to make mods necessary to play games. They are usually optional. So those with good enough computers could run such a mod no problemo while those who can’t wont get the mod.

Its sorta how mods work.

And chivalry:DW is said to support 64 players. Which means either they are optimising maps and textures and making the netcode better OR they have gone completely bonkers.

Have you played on a full 64 player server? LOLS. The avg player can only handle about 34 player servers without it being so laggy that it really isnt worth playing.

I could go on and on about how horrible the maps, models are poorly optimized. Hell, just NoClip around a map in spec mode and you will see more crap in the map that is totally unnecessary and cannot even be seen from a players view point.

I recently started playing War Thunder, also a UDK engine based game. The maps are freaking HUGE and beautiful and can handle 64 players per server or more with zero lag and in huge elevation levels because it is air combat game. Totally amazed at these maps and player models, not to mention that everything has a stat or menu. While the games are completely different mapping is still mapping and modeling and textures are still created the same way. Clearly some do it better than others……

• 64 servers I have played on lag server side. There isn’t much of an FPS drop on my end.

War thunder also has lower res combat textures. There’s far smaller amounts of map detail, little animation and has no ragdolls.

And as I remember war thunder uses the Dagor engine. Where did you get unreal engine from? Gamin entertainment created their own engine. That’s a big difference. Tbs is using someone else’s engine. An unstable engine.